Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2009, 10:13 PM   #616
innovathinker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbOwl
Have the Adventure Bars installed with a Utah Sport Bash plate. Great combination. (Maybe not as nice as that Wunderlich bash plate though)
The bars have done thier job several times.
Thanks!

I went with the BMW bash plate since it seemed to cover much more up front, and the SW-Motech crash bars. Seemed stout to me after installing them, but haven't "tested" them yet.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:07 PM   #617
Lucky:)
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Hi All,
Question about dropping/adding tooth on front/rear sprocket.
The idea is to drop bottom speed to make the bike smoother on low speed. Donít really like that I canít go with ďcomfortableĒ speed (less than 20km) on difficult terrains.
Concerns are:
What is a difference to change front (to 15) or rear (to 42)?
By how much would it drop the top speed (in 6 gear)?
Do I need to change the chain as well?
Does dropping front 1 tooth increase strain on the chain?
Lucky:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:05 PM   #618
RAD800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Anyone think they'd be able to get an 800GS under 2300mm long for shipping purposes, without removing the front wheel.?
Im going overseas and would like to just roll the bike into the cradle when i get to the depot if possible.
Ideas...?

RAD800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:39 PM   #619
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad28
Anyone think they'd be able to get an 800GS under 2300mm long for shipping purposes, without removing the front wheel.?
Im going overseas and would like to just roll the bike into the cradle when i get to the depot if possible.
Ideas...?
What is turn steering wheel as much as possible and remove plastic thing with license plate and reflector?
/Just an idea/
Old 06-24-2009, 07:32 PM   #620
Gnarly Adventurer

Does anybody know torque for front sprocket bolt/nut?
Old 07-12-2009, 08:46 AM   #621
dbOnIce
Under Scooter

Oddometer: 21
Engine break in and high revin' motor

Just started driving new my 800 GS .
I live in the city and make frequent trips into Rural Minnesota. (3 to 4 times per week)

This machine handles supurbly on dirt and gravel roads, and seems to corner nicely on any surface.
However she seems to be a high rev'er on the freeway.

Dealer did not specify any break in RPM limits even though I asked specificly this question.

The few posts I have read discuss going to a 15 or 14 tooth drive sprocket, heavy dirt riders I suppose.
A San Diego Advrider club post seemed to support all day slab riding noting only that fuel economy takes a dive. eh?

Any hard won knowledge or (heaven forbid) Opinions out there?
Old 07-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #622
Keystone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbOnIce
I live in the city and make frequent trips into Rural Minnesota. (3 to 4 times per week)

This machine handles supurbly on dirt and gravel roads, and seems to corner nicely on any surface.

Dealer did not specify any break in RPM limits even though I asked specificly this question.

The few posts I have read discuss going to a 15 or 14 tooth drive sprocket, heavy dirt riders I suppose.
A San Diego Advrider club post seemed to support all day slab riding noting only that fuel economy takes a dive. eh?

Did the owners manual specify any break in RPM limits? That's the place to check.

I just ordered a 15 tooth sprocket last week -- even doing figure eights in a parking lot I find that off-idle speed is just too fast. It'll be here Wednesday along with my first set of new tires for the F800GS -- the battlewings lasted for 11,000 miles (and counting).

Cheers,
Tom B
'05 F650GS (Sold)
'04 K1200RS (Sold)
'03 F650GS (Crashed)
(formerly hyperiate)

http://www.shoottheapex.com
Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:40 AM   #623
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 621
F800 manual?

Does anyone who has a manual know the procedure for the timing chain adjuster on the F8. Is it like the Japanese motors? My KLR is easy, and wondering if it's like that. I have what I think sounds like a timing chain slap when it gets warm and wanted to check this before I have to drive it 1200 +kms to the nearest dealer for a look....

Thanks

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:19 AM   #624
bikerfish1100
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Wunderlich- purveyors of nice quality stuff (frequently made by someone else; sometimes noted by wonderdickyou, sometimes not) at stupidly expensive prices.
Forexample: for about $100 more than Wonderdicks bash plate, i got AdventureSpec's bash plate http://www.adventure-spec.com/shop/b...8/prod_81.html and crashbars http://www.adventure-spec.com/shop/b.../prod_121.html, shipped from England to CO in 3 days.
bikerfish1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #625
Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish1100
Wunderlich- purveyors of nice quality stuff (frequently made by someone else; sometimes noted by wonderdickyou, sometimes not) at stupidly expensive prices.
Forexample: for about $100 more than Wonderdicks bash plate, i got AdventureSpec's bash plate http://www.adventure-spec.com/shop/b...8/prod_81.html and crashbars http://www.adventure-spec.com/shop/b.../prod_121.html, shipped from England to CO in 3 days.
+1 except mine were shipped to Texas.

And I had them throw in the Barkbusters which did not increase my shipping and got them for about $40-50 cheaper than I could get them in the states.

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #626
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbOnIce

Iím finding that first gear is to fast for slow traffic, off road terrains (such as going down hill etc.) Canít go les that 15mph. Planning to drop 1 tooth.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:36 AM   #627
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky:)
Iím finding that first gear is to fast for slow traffic, off road terrains (such as going down hill etc.) Canít go les that 15mph. Planning to drop 1 tooth.
Let me get this right because a mechanic really messed with my head last week when talking about this. Is that one tooth on the front i.e. from 16 to 15?
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #628
Keystone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
Let me get this right because a mechanic really messed with my head last week when talking about this. Is that one tooth on the front i.e. from 16 to 15?
Yes. Reducing a tooth on the front means that the sprocket will turn fewer chain links per revolution, so groundspeed will be slower for a given engine speed.

Similar effect can be had from increasing the size of the rear sprocket, in which case the same links are turned by the engine, but the rear wheel does less with them. Based on the gear ratio moving a tooth on the front sprocket is roughly equivalent to a three-tooth change in the opposite direction on the rear sprocket.

Front sprockets are also easier to pack if you want the option of swapping back and forth on a trip with long highway punctuated by off-road riding. Don't forget your torque wrench.
'05 F650GS (Sold)
'04 K1200RS (Sold)
'03 F650GS (Crashed)
(formerly hyperiate)

http://www.shoottheapex.com
Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:59 AM   #629
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
Right, front from 16 to 15
Old 07-13-2009, 12:45 PM   #630
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky:)
Right, front from 16 to 15
Excellent. I guess going up on the back from 42 to 47 would take it even further.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote