User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2008, 01:15 PM   #91
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,236
VERY, VERY nice report.

Over on the F650.com site, I've posted quite a few pictures of the little brother to the F800, an F650GS that I took earlier in the week at the dual sport rally in Stevenson (the Factory BMW truck & trailer were there): http://f650.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=222207

There's also a picture of the G450X dual sport.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 02:48 PM   #92
DantesDame
Ridin' Fool

Oddometer: 1,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof
I have no questions since I'm 5'1" and I'll never fit on this beauty.
You can ride on the back of mine when I get one, sweet thing

Hi Carolyn

RTW - as so many have already stated, thank you very much for taking the time to share all of your findings with us. While I love my 1150, I do lust after something a little more managable. I think by the time I'm ready to buy and 800 there should be a healthy used selection and plenty of aftermarket goodies

http://www.dantesdame.com/ <--- Rides! Rides! Rides!!
DantesDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:08 PM   #93
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTW Motorcycling
Hey Erik,

Yes, 'tis the same engine and there is a lot of technical discussion as to what they have done to detune it but the most important thing is that indeed detuned, they had to create some clear delineation between the two and successfully achieved their goal.
Very true... much like the BMW e46 323, which was actually a 2.5 liter, but they didn't want to name it too closely to the 328 (a truly named 2.8L). The bavarians are astute at this naming game, aren't they?

Quote:
(I'll be in Brisbane mid month if you are up for a beer or are longing for some motorcycle parts from the inexpensive US. Delivery fee is a beer:)
Thanks, but I'm all set with parts - with only a few months to go, I'm actually flowing things in the other direction. Doesn't mean we can't have a beer. Shoot me a message before you're here.

DoctorIt screwed with this post 08-31-2008 at 04:24 AM
DoctorIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:13 PM   #94
riverrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I rode them both today (gs F800 and gs F650)

My two cents worth says i did not feel the 15 horsepower difference. hardly noticeable, i would say. Both machines were low seats, (i am 6 ft 2 inch), and felt the 800 set up better for me. Crazy to put cast wheels on a dirt bike, brakes a bit soft, but other than that, F650 surprised me favorably. I will still pick up my f800 in 3 weeks, can' t wait.
riverrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:42 AM   #95
nat_han
2 Wheelers By Choice.. =]

Oddometer: 200
still considering on getting the 800gs...

heaps of praises for RTW and i dun see why not.. great personal review after going through a long ride with it..

back here in southeast asia, the bike will only touch my shore in november!!
yikes, a hell of a wait..
nat_han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:45 AM   #96
nat_han
2 Wheelers By Choice.. =]

Oddometer: 200
forgot to add that i'm only 1.68m tall..

with the low seat at .85m, i could touch ground with the ball of my feet.
sat on it at the agent's shop this afternoon, and tested the 650..

great bike with nice handle bar!
nat_han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:09 PM   #97
jamesbrown
Lefty tighty.

Oddometer: 6,413
This is an excellent thread, and I don't even have/plan to get an 800GS Great read - awesome work RTW

Make sure YFFs rate it so others don't miss it
jamesbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:19 PM   #98
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
One more question, RT.
Your Caribou cases. I would like to get them for mine but they are not listed on the web site for the F800. Did you jig up your own mounting brackets?
Toadride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:11 PM   #99
=o&o>
I like to ==o&o>

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride
One more question, RT.
Your Caribou cases. I would like to get them for mine but they are not listed on the web site for the F800. Did you jig up your own mounting brackets?
RTW modified brackets off a VStrom. Roger at Caribou should have the promised F8GS in his shop to design brackets within three or four weeks. He estimates first retail shipments 60 to 90 days after the bike is available.
=o&o> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:01 AM   #100
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
OK. Thanks for that, O.
Toadride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:55 PM   #101
John Joel Glanton
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_Fodder
Just sat on one at Lonestar in Austin, TX.... it felt suprisingly approachable for a 5'9" guy with a piddling 32" inseam.
How do you think someone with a 30" inseam would do with it?
Old 09-02-2008, 07:05 AM   #102
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by texagator
You'd probably be doing what I do on my KLR at stop lights... right foot on the peg and brake, other one (hopefully) flat on the ground. I don't think it would be impossible and I'll bet there are things you could do to bring it down an inch or two... probably just expensive (as is everything on a BMW right ). The new F650 has a _very_ low standover and may be worth considering.
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:35 AM   #103
berkly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Ive got a 30 inch inseam and can stand on the balls of my feet at stoplights. What I normally do on my 800 is just put one foot down while still sitting. The bikes easy to balance and does not feel akward at all. Beforey purchase I was thinking about lowering it but no longer do I feel that's necessary.
berkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:18 AM   #104
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by texagator
I've a 30.5 inseam and can nearly flatfoot both sides with the low seat with an Airhawk. Shouldn't be a problem for you.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:38 PM   #105
RTW Motorcycling OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnostic203
The first thing I thought when I started reading this thread was "finally!". Finally some viable and valuable information on this bike I have been lusting over by a real rider none-the-less.

I can't thank you enough RTW.

Actually I have one question for you. If you were to do it all again would you choose the 800GS or another bike?
Hi Gnostic,

Now back in civilization so can reply to your question. I'll write a bit more background, but in general for very long distance touring over mixed terrain or for aorund the world touring, this bike, in my opinion, will become the new gold standard to which all others will be compared. It doesn't necessarily do any one thing exceptionally well, but does good to very good in a very broad range of conditions, and this breadth and versatility really make the bike. For riding on our continent, if you are someone like myself who can't quite make up their mind at what they want to ride on any given day (and you live in an area where there are multiple options), then either you can own a few, ride specific bikes or one general, do everything bike. This bike also fits that profile exceptionally well for me. So to answer your question, yes, I would do the same thing all over again:)
RTW Motorcycling is offline   Reply With Quote