User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
KTMarty OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Husky TE310 or KTM 450 dual sports?

Im looking for a new ride to do some dual sporting and tight signal track trail riding with.

I been looking at buying a street legal versions of a 2012 TE310 or KTM 450 EXC.

I like the idea of a smaller bore bike for tight trail work but really do not want something that I have to rev it to the moon to keep it going. I read in other threads that the 310 you still have to slip the clutch and then the power still does not come on until 5k. As for the 450 you can be morelazy in gear selection and just twist the throttle and go. If those above statements are correct I would be more happy with the 450 then the 310. Im getting lazier in my old age and like something that is easier to ride. The 450 weighs at 232lbs (dirt model) and the TE310 at 250lbs. Does anyone have a true weight of the dual sport version of the 450? If both bikes weigh about the same my main concern will be the gryo effect of the 450 engine max in tight single track trails. Will it be more tiring then the TE310? I would have to say yes. Most of my riding will be tight trails with some fire roads to connect. If I do dual sport rides plan on truck the bike to location and then ride.

I been riding a KTM 200EXC for the last 8 years and really like the bike. I ride it like a four stroke mostly in the lower power band and never have issues of stalling ect. I would be very happy if I could get a bike that still handles and had the same power like my 200 but was street legal to boot.

Now if KTM would make the new 350 street legal I would be all over it.

Has anyone had the opportunity to ride both bikes? Sure would like opinions of what you thought.

Thnx

2010 KTM 450EXC (FSL)
06 KTM 950 Adventure (Orange)

Fire Road Closure Report

Dual Sport Tire price comarison

2008 Idaho ride

Camp Chair
KTMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
Rainshadow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
TTT cause I'd like to hear some feedback also!

RS
Rainshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,548
Get the new Husaberg 390. If your going to buy new and don't like the gyro effect of a normal 4stroke, then the Husaberg should be on the top of your list.

http://www.husaberg.com/360-View.316...ash=3d6b19316b
Old 10-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
Cruiser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,333
I like the Ktm, the new 2012 husky's I'd wait on. I have a friend who races the 2011 250 and has had nothing but issues. He has been through several bikes from the sponsor and has not had anything good to say of this new design engine. He liked the older one. I guess they are having issues in china.
97 GG 250ec-for sale,, just email me if interested
Fleetwood neon for sale
Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
Cruiser
Beastly Adventurer

Don't forget the beta,, and the gg 450.
Fleetwood neon for sale
Old 10-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
My '07 KTM 450XC weighs 260lbs on the scale at my house with 1.5 gallons of fuel, 1.2 liters of oil, bark busters, steering stabilizer, heavy duty tubes.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,778
More people own the KTM and most that own it feel the same as I do. It is quite simply the best street-legal dirt bike made. It won the 450 shootout 2 years running in most magazines.

I can't even imagine a better bike that my KTM.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:50 PM   #8
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,957
It seems like an updated version of the older KTM 400EXC would be ideal.

I also prefer a motor you don't have to spin to ride efficiently. That's what I like about my 300 2-stroke, it's a torquey engine that you can ride in the lower rpm band all day and doesn't stall easily.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtFreakRob
Get the new Husaberg 390. If your going to buy new and don't like the gyro effect of a normal 4stroke, then the Husaberg should be on the top of your list.

http://www.husaberg.com/360-View.316...ash=3d6b19316b

He wants a street-legal bike.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:22 PM   #10
Cruiser
Beastly Adventurer

I thought the 2012 husy will be DOT if bought that way? Shame the husky/BMW merger meant a china engine for the husky. I always liked them. I like my 450ktm but would be much happier with a linkage rear suspension. One reason the beta is so nice. For the last few years they had Ktm power with a linkage suspension and dot. Now I think they make their own engine. Gasgas is a nice bike but you have to do some work to get it legal. Title is clean but depending on your state. I like them a lot and would have picked up a used 07-newer but couldn't find one for sale. So I'm back on a pumpkin for now.
Fleetwood neon for sale
Old 10-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #11
zoomdude57
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Husaberg 390 might be the ideal bike - if it was street legal. I have read some initial reviews on the new TE310 and it sounds like reduced weight and greatly improved low-end and midrange. TE is fuel injected so less fussing with fueling I would imagine.
2011 KTM RC8R
2006 KTM 200 XC-W
zoomdude57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:55 PM   #12
KTMarty OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Thanks for all the replies.

Since I live in WA and the state is taking away 2 strokes exc plates ect I did not want to take a chance in getting a non Factory Street legal bike and have the state take the plate away down the road.

I was really interested in the Husaberg 390, but like zoomdude57 stated it not street legal. So that bike was scratch off the list. I was really interested in the Husky TE310 but really did not want a bike that I had to keep the revs up and shift a lot. Getting lazy in my old age.

I decided to buy a new 2010 KTM 450 EXC Factory Street legal. My main factors in buying the KTM are the following:

1) Great bikes from get go.
2) Great resale value
3) Has enough power to hit a section of Highway/Freeway
4) Can get parts either at a local shop or by ktmtalk with a 15% discount.
5) I owned KTM's for the last 10 years and really like them.

Before I took it out for a ride I did the following:
Change gearing from 15/45 to 13/48
Cycra hand gaurds
MS skid plate
Rear brake guard
Took off the smog junk
Heated grips
Rejetted
Uncorked the exhaust but left the screen and cap on for now to keep the sound down.

My riding experience consist of 72 Suzuki TS 250, 76 Yamaha 400mxb, Suzuki Dr350/400, 98 KTM 200exc and the last 7 years on a 02 KTM 200exc with an auto clutch.

Had my first ride last weekend on my new scoot. The 450 was very easy to ride even for not riding without a clutch for the last 7 years but I did stall it out a few times. The clutch was really light but I still tried to power around tight corners in 2nd gear thinking I still had the auto clutch. That magic button sure does come in handy.

The ergonomics are not bad, but definitely need taller bars and seat for my 6-0 frame.

I weigh 175lbs without gear and the suspension for a stock bike was pleasantly good not too soft or stiff. Felt a lot better then my KTM 200 even with suspension mods done. Going to wait and get more miles on the bike to loosen the suspension up before doing any mods.

The 450 puts out incredible power down low. This is what I really wanted and hope for. Has plenty of torque to get the front end up and over logs. I can tell the 450 really want to go. Riding down a fire road at 55 was a breeze no bad twitching ect. Going to wait for the next couple of rides after break-in to see what it really can do.

The stock ISDE DOT tyres are not the greatest. The front end felt like it want to slide out and I was going to do a soil sample at every corner. The rear just would not hook up in really loose stuff like my trial tyre on the 200.

I just weigh the 450 with a 1/2 tank of gas at 127/133 = 260 lbs. Includes all the above mention items above on the bike. Not bad for a Electric start street legal 450 four stroke.

The KTM 200 weigh at 116/133 with a 1/2 tank of gas = 249 lbs. This bike also has the same after market items as the 450.

I really did not notice the extra 10 lbs of the 450 vs the 200. The man concern I had with the 450 was will the extra engine gyration tiring me out faster in tight trails. Going to need more saddle time if this is going to be factor or not.

The only other issue I had is when letting the throttle off in 1st gear there is at lot of engine compression and speed drops off fast. In 2nd gear it is not as noticeable and I tried to ride the bike in this gear most of the time in the tight stuff. Again just need more saddle time and may play around with the gearing some more to get it more tuned in to my riding style.

Still have a few more things I like to get to make it a sweeter ride: Rekluse z-Start Pro , EE tall seat, and high rise bars.

The KTM 450exc is really a nice bike and I’m going to really enjoy it for years to come.

2010 KTM 450EXC (FSL)
06 KTM 950 Adventure (Orange)

Fire Road Closure Report

Dual Sport Tire price comarison

2008 Idaho ride

Camp Chair

KTMarty screwed with this post 10-26-2010 at 08:04 PM
KTMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:17 AM   #13
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
Turn the idle up until the compression braking suits you.

Sorry but that bike has more than 10lbs over your 200!
Old 10-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #14
zoomdude57
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Nice ride Marty! Will be interested in your report after you hit some of that single-track you dragged my ass through last winter! Never thought of going up to a 450, but maybe the beefier engine compensates somewhat.

The Rekluse sounds like the way to go too.

Keep us posted and congrats!
2011 KTM RC8R
2006 KTM 200 XC-W
zoomdude57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:31 AM   #15
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMarty
I’m looking for a new ride to do some dual sporting and tight signal track trail riding with.

I been looking at buying a street legal versions of a 2012 TE310 or KTM 450 EXC.

I like the idea of a smaller bore bike for tight trail work but really do not want something that I have to rev it to the moon to keep it going. I read in other threads that the 310 you still have to slip the clutch and then the power still does not come on until 5k. As for the 450 you can be morelazy in gear selection and just twist the throttle and go. If those above statements are correct I would be more happy with the 450 then the 310. I’m getting lazier in my old age and like something that is easier to ride. The 450 weighs at 232lbs (dirt model) and the TE310 at 250lbs. Does anyone have a true weight of the dual sport version of the 450? If both bikes weigh about the same my main concern will be the gryo effect of the 450 engine max in tight single track trails. Will it be more tiring then the TE310? I would have to say yes. Most of my riding will be tight trails with some fire roads to connect. If I do dual sport rides plan on truck the bike to location and then ride.

I been riding a KTM 200EXC for the last 8 years and really like the bike. I ride it like a four stroke mostly in the lower power band and never have issues of stalling ect. I would be very happy if I could get a bike that still handles and had the same power like my 200 but was street legal to boot.

Now if KTM would make the new 350 street legal I would be all over it.

Has anyone had the opportunity to ride both bikes? Sure would like opinions of what you thought.

Thnx

Buy a 390 Husaberg, - the best enduro you can get.
italrally is offline   Reply With Quote