User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2008, 08:20 PM   #1
RedMenace OP
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,168
Sound Rider Northwest Rally 08

Saw Kenjo and a few other friends at the rally today. Tim showed me some tricks for my new GPS and I took an aquaintance for a little jaunt thru the woods. Almost turned into Gilligans Island when he sheared a sidecar mount and then broke a quick connect off his fuel line spewing gas all over his hot engine. We used a tire plug to cork off the gas line and coasted his GS out of the woods("How far is it down hill?" "All the way to the bar!").

Carson is well on it's way to being a ghost town and it's few shops were closed. They must have put up a cell tower in the past year,tho as I was able to get a signal and called a friend who has a moto shop in town(American Customs). We rolled into the Bungalow for a beer and a burger and Paul ran a length of fuel line down to us. It fit the tank side but not the injector side, so I carved up a Bic pen and we used it to splice to a larger rubber hose and fit that over the injector spigot. I claim full braggin right s for fixin a BMW Oilhead with a ballpoint pen.

After that Dave was able to get the bike started and run it up to Pauls shops. I gave Dave a lift back the fairgrounds and Clementine and I called it a day and headed home.

RedMenace screwed with this post 08-24-2008 at 08:55 PM
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:31 AM   #2
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,641
Thumb Good one!

"...took an aquaintance for a little jaunt thru the woods. Almost turned into Gilligans Island when he sheared a sidecar mount"

How th' hell did ya' do that?!

Met Dave at a couple of rallies (Snowcamp and the UN-rally in Yakima) - he's got quite a few stories, eh?

"I claim full braggin' rights for fixin a BMW Oilhead with a ballpoint pen."

TT

tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:45 AM   #3
RedMenace OP
Adventure Sidecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony the tiger
"...took an aquaintance for a little jaunt thru the woods. Almost turned into Gilligans Island when he sheared a sidecar mount"

How th' hell did ya' do that?!

It was a rough road and Dave had done some rough riding prior. Dauntless *may* be using a bolt that is a little small for this application but it should be noted the bolt at the top strut eye and the bottom Jam nut on the strut were both very loose. Slop will allow the strut to act as a lever pushing the top mount bolt back and forth until it fatigues and fails, which is what I suspect happened here.

Dave had wrapped his strut and mounts in pipe insulation which protected his knee from banging against it, but prevented easy inspection of the fasteners. Not good. Worse if you ride off pavement because sooner or later even well tightened fasteners rattle loose.

Broke the fuel line quick connect moving the hose to get a photo of the mount(oops ). Fuckin thing is way too brittle, just like the ones Triumph recalled on the early EFI triples. Has BMW done a recall on these?

I think the hot set up for Triumph was to replace them with a brass Ducati fitting....
Old 08-25-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Laugh Dunno' 'bout the quick disconnects being stock or not...

but if you caused the failure you can NOT claim the field expedient fix as braggin' rights. Sorry dood, but them's EOD RULES.... I didn't make them. Now, if'n, say, Dave broke the disconnect moving it outa' the way for you to take the picture, and couldn't fix it himself, then he owes YOU a case o'beer.

Dave ain't on here, btw, is he?

TT
Old 08-25-2008, 09:04 AM   #5
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
Has BMW done a recall on these?

I think the hot set up for Triumph was to replace them with a brass Ducati fitting....
mebbe'...
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/results.cfm

TT
Old 08-25-2008, 09:17 AM   #6
RedMenace OP
Adventure Sidecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony the tiger
but if you caused the failure you can NOT claim the field expedient fix as braggin' rights. Sorry dood, but them's EOD RULES.... I didn't make them. Now, if'n, say, Dave broke the disconnect moving it outa' the way for you to take the picture, and couldn't fix it himself, then he owes YOU a case o'beer.

Dave ain't on here, btw, is he?

TT
Dave moved it, I had the camera-that's my story and I am stickin to it!

Besides which, it doesn't matter- it appears to be another BMW "feature" brought to you courtesy of teutonic engineering.

Dave is probably up at Paul's shop right now, wishin he was ridin'.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:10 PM   #7
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
RedMenace - Breaking Hacks One Driver at a Time Since 1975.
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:14 PM   #8
RedMenace OP
Adventure Sidecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags
RedMenace - Breaking Hacks One Driver at a Time Since 1975.
you've been warned....
Old 08-25-2008, 06:03 PM   #9
RedMenace OP
Adventure Sidecar

When I got home from work today I found a phone message from Dave Talley. Paul was able to fix his sidecar mount and he is up and running again!

Old 08-25-2008, 09:59 PM   #10
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Thumb effin' A!

"Good to go!"
TT