ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2014, 03:55 PM   #1
ObiJohn OP
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 486
Wanting to ride FS17, FS18, etc....

Would be coming up from Redmond/Kirkland/Bellevue... have dual sports but they have knobbies and don't like I-5, so will probably throw a couple in the back of the Dakota and park it somewhere and ride from there.

If we wanted to ride FS17 and/or 18, plus do some of the Mountain Loop Hwy, where would be a good place to base from? Is this an all-day trip? I assume this has to be dual sports, no OHVs so my son and his XR70 can't go... sigh....
Old 09-12-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
bscman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Correct, it's all national forest service so you must be road legal and have a spark arrestor.

A typical meeting place for us locals is on HWY between Clear Lake and Sedro Woolley. There is a park and ride where South Skagit Hwy meets Hwy 9.
The beginning of FS17 is about 10 miles of slab east of here.

A normal trip would be up over 17 to the junction with 18, following it down to Hwy 530...then go east a several miles to Darrington. Buy gas, grab a burger, and go explore the mountain loop area from here.

Then to get back to the truck the best options are:

1. Backtrack over 18/17 and down South Skagit.

2. Head west down HWY 530 through OSO (past the slide) to the Lake Cavanagh Rd. This is a mixed slab/gravel 6 mile stretch that takes you up the mountain to Lake Cavanaugh. From here circumnavigate the lake and slab it down Lake Cavanaugh Rd to HWY 9 in Big Lake...and take the hwy back to the truck.
It's all slab from lake cavanaugh on.

3. Leave Darrington on HWY 530 toward Rockport. Cross the river at Concrete Sauk Valley Road (which eventually turns into South Skagit Hwy). Slab the whole way. Somewhat winding and cool as it follows the river much of the way.

There are a couple other options but will add length to the day and make it pretty easy to get turned around/lost.

As a whole it will take you most of the day and likely run about 200 miles, depending on how much exploring you do.

Coming from Redmond, it may be a better option to park the truck in Darrington and explore the area in two large loops. I can't see parking as a big issue. There is a city park, grocery store, or a large gravel lot next to the gas station where you could likely park without much fuss.
bscman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:21 PM   #3
tod701
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
There is a small parking lot on 530 near Swede Heaven that is handy for people coming from the south.

As I recall, it's only about a mile of pavement before you hit the dirt.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:48 PM   #4
Eastview
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Decided to hit the trainwreck for breakfast with my wife on the GS's, thought it would be fun to run down S.Skagit hwy and could stop my bike from turning onto fs17. I have snowmobiled in the Finney area but this was a first on the bikes, we had a blast. Did exactly as you said above , 17 to 18 to 530 onto Darrington for a great burger. Decided to take the Concrete Suak rd back all the way to 9. What a great way to spend the day with my beautiful wife.
2006 BMW K1200S (sold)
2007 Ducati 1098S Tricolore(sold)Replaced with 2002 Foggy Monster
Eastview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:12 AM   #5
turnsleft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,493
Try Cascade Burgers in Concrete. Altho the Spicy Salmon burger in Darrington is pert good.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #6
ObiJohn OP
Screaming Banshee

Personal commitments prevent me from getting up to Darrington much before 10:30 or thereabouts on weekdays (kids, dog, job).

I'm thinking of making this trip either Monday or Tuesday, commitments depending.

What do you think?
Old 09-14-2014, 11:50 PM   #7
eff naked teeth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I did that exact 17 and 18 route on Saturday. I rode alone so I limited myself to the main route. Then took Lake Cavanaugh Rd to Hwy 9. I really like that road as it is nice curvy.
eff naked teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
tomasv
Check the Czech!

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by bscman View Post

There are a couple other options but will add length to the day and make it pretty easy to get turned around/lost.
Would you please share more? I am planning a full day trip up there but already done the main FS17/18 route. So anything to spice up the trip would be great.

Thanks!

Tomas
tomasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:16 AM   #9
ObiJohn OP
Screaming Banshee

Made it up to Darrington around 1 pm, and decided to just ride down to Barlow Pass via the Mountain Loop Hwy and then up through Rat Trap Pass. The traffic was bad going through Oso, and it gave me a good chance to look at the devastation.

The ride down the Mountain Loop was interesting, and it took about an hour to make it to the pass, and another hour back. I got on NF-23 and rode it for a way but thought I must be on the wrong road... my GPS wasn't readable for forest roads consistently with a topo map... so I backtracked out and got on NF-24 and road it to Sauk Prairie Road, then back into town about 5:30.

I looked at Google Maps when I got home and saw how close I was to the turnoff to the Pass on NF-22... got to within a half-mile but didn't think the road would cross the river there since it seemed to be heading southeast away from White Chuck and that's why I turned around. Should have stuck it out! Even so, the view north from the latter part of NF-24 was pretty stellar.

I wish I had headed up hear earlier in the summer. These are great roads for a dual sport or adventure bike. I saw a couple of KTMs heading south on the Mountain Loop after I turned around at the Pass, and I met a fellow on a R1200GS at the Pass who was lost and wasn't sure if the trail to Monte Cristo was, in fact, the unpaved part of the Hwy. He followed me back north, but continued on the Hwy when I exited to ride NF-23, and I saw him later in Darrington as I was loading up everything back into the truck.

Now I'm going to have to come back, and perhaps stage out of Rockport to ride 17/18, then get gas at Darrington and then take 23 thru Rat Trap Pass. There are lots of forest roads up here that seem to be in really good shape and with hardly any traffic. I saw perhaps a dozen other vehicles on the Mountain Loop Hwy, both ways, and no one on 24.

I don't see why the town of Darrington doesn't pass OHV-friendly ordnances, and becomes the 'Conconully' of the west side. If they could get the NF rangers to set up the same road policies as over in the Okanogan, letting OHVs and ATVs ride the forest roads, they could really develop the tourism here... much more accessable than over the mountains. You wonder why the NF folks don't have a one-Sunday-per-month OHV/ATVs can ride for a $20 fee. limit it to utility ATVs and enforce a 25 mph speed limit. And, Snohomish County ought to make the Whitehorse Trail open to OHVs/ATVs with a 25 mph speed limit, with a $20 fee, and that would drive a lot of tourism and tourist dollars to the towns along 530.

Anyway, it was a great afternoon and I'm glad I was able to get away... and I plan to return.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #10
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiJohn View Post
I don't see why the town of Darrington doesn't pass OHV-friendly ordnances, and becomes the 'Conconully' of the west side. If they could get the NF rangers to set up the same road policies as over in the Okanogan, letting OHVs and ATVs ride the forest roads, they could really develop the tourism here... much more accessable than over the mountains. You wonder why the NF folks don't have a one-Sunday-per-month OHV/ATVs can ride for a $20 fee. limit it to utility ATVs and enforce a 25 mph speed limit. And, Snohomish County ought to make the Whitehorse Trail open to OHVs/ATVs with a 25 mph speed limit, with a $20 fee, and that would drive a lot of tourism and tourist dollars to the towns along 530.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:11 PM   #11
turnsleft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,493
Brian and I left the SSP&R at 09:00 for 17/18/24/22/RT Pass/C camp and Concrete-Sauk back to 17 and the South Skagit hwy.

Brians DRZ and my KLX waiting to go. New helmet day for both of us.

We stopped at the Gap and swung by the canyon on the way to 18. Went up the fossil road then 1855 so I could show Brian 2811.

Had a fun ride and seen a yodie on 24. All in all a good day, just a little rain.

Maybe when everyone is done being broken we can make another run before
the snow flies.

Sorry if this was a hijack.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:11 AM   #12
tod701
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I don't see why the town of Darrington doesn't pass OHV-friendly ordnances, and becomes the 'Conconully' of the west side. If they could get the NF rangers to set up the same road policies as over in the Okanogan, letting OHVs and ATVs ride the forest roads, . . . .
It is my understanding that Okanogan NF has rescinded their ORV road use position as of May 2014.

Mt Baker / Snoqualmie NF has zero interest in allowing ORV use of the roads they manage. Even if they were inclined to allow it, there is a certain person standing by to file a law suit, tying up the issue for decades and further draining the USFS of money to go toward recreational road access.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:15 PM   #13
ObiJohn OP
Screaming Banshee

I wish I knew who that certain person was...
Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM   #14
tod701
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I wish I knew who that certain person was...
Initials:

BL
Old Today, 03:27 PM   #15
ObiJohn OP
Screaming Banshee

So I did some digging, and found out that while B L and the group who carries his water (W W) have filed lawsuits against projects like the repairs to the Mountain Loop Hwy, the Suiattle River Road, and the Green Mountain lookout, they've lost every one... after wasting significant amounts of the taxpayers' dollars. You would hope that B L et al could be found liable for the government's costs for filing frivolous lawsuits and the resultant costs might get them to cease and desist. Where's a creative attorney on our side?

Even the local environmental groups are beginning to be wary of any involvement with W W, as the 'mainstream' environmental position seems to support the use of established forest roads by vehicles to get to hiking trails.

I, for one, am all in favor of a policy that lets OHVs (dirt bikes AND ATVs/UTVs) use established forest roads and two-track, while forbidding off-road and/or off-trail travel (and the development of user-created trails). Ideally, there should be a rational, objective process and criteria for adding OHV motorcycles to existing, suitable hiking, biking, and equestrian trails. And, there should be an established policy goal of creating multi-use trails whenever possible to include OHVs and, where suitable, ATVs. The goal should be to let everyone enjoy the forest, not just hikers.

This may require OHV changes, including reduced-noise exhausts to a level that may be what is currently street-legal under federal law (80db @ 50' from vehicle for new vehicles), or requirements for trials tires (no knobbies) or even closing trails during certain times of the year to protect trails, but those would be reasonable accomodations... don't you think?... for the ability to ride forest roads.