ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2008, 07:41 PM   #16
KTMarty OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Day 5 Wed - KTM shop then to Lolo

Day 5 Wed

We packed up and headed towards Orofino to the KTM shop to get my clutch fix first thing in the morning.

Here is a movie of us coming down out of Fish Creek into Grainsville

Arrived in Orofino around 9:30 and headed to Hansons KTM shop. They were great in getting my bike repaired without waiting. Kudos for the service.

Clutch felt great - But after 10 miles it started to fade again and saw oil leaking out of the Clutch pistion again. At luch re bleed the clutch again.

Here is a movie shot of Tom along somewhere on the Musselshell road.

Here we are at the start of the LOLO Trail. Can you say Dusty!!

Lolo Road through more burned out forest.

Here is a shot in my rear mirror showing the dust behind me.

Great Scenery on both sides of the trail

We had a run with a forest ranger that was having a bad hair day to say the least.
This how it went. Tom was ahead of us. Mike and I came up to two forest service vehicle parks opposite direction talking so we came up behind them and stopped. They finally said there good bye and Mike started to follow the truck with me behind him. He was on her driver side but would they would not stop or pull over (can you say dust!!) I did not want to follow a truck down this road kicking up dust so I moved up and made sure my light was in her left mirror still no sign of pulling over so I gave a tot with my horn, That got her attention and she pulled over and gave me a very aggressive had wave motion to come next to her. I pulled up and stopped and said hello. She let loose on me with the following "YOU NEED TO SLOW DOWN. There are fire a lot of forest vehicles helping to put out fires up here!" I said "No problem will keep an eye out for them". Both MIke and I proceded to pass and caught up to Tom jsut ahead. Told Tom what happen and he mention that he followed her for a while and she wouldn 't pull over either then say a opportunity and he passed her. That most of set her off. Thinking we were racing on the trail or something else. Anyway we deciced to get moving before she caught us again. We went just a little further and turned off into Rocky Ridge Lake Campground for a break.

After I took these shots she drove up and parked and proceeded to lecture us some more.

Mike being the great diplomate did a great job in asking what we did wrong and if we did anything wrong what can we do to to set it right. She said we did nothing wrong but wanted us to be aware of other fire vehicle traffic. I mentioned we only been doing about 20mph averge (Which is below the speed limit of 25mph of forest service roads.) Mike went on how we rode over 1000 miles in Idaho came across cars, elk, deer, turkey, hickers ect and never had a complaint until we crossed paths ect ect. She finally got off our case and started to get defensive. All this time the other ranger was on the other side of camp having a cig. All I could think he heard this before and did not want to have any part of it. Things were settled and she was happy that we were not a bunch of crotch rockect racers.

She told us we should go and see Wetas Butte which is 4 miles off the Lolo trail but was worth the ride. Here is the fire tower at the lookout.

with Mike below.

Took a movie shot as I walked around the platform

As we were leaving we met miss ranger and had a nice wave as we passed each other this time.

Here is Mike doing his best imatiation of a crotch racket racer.

Took a little break at the intercection of Lolo trail and Gravey Creek RD.

Back at Orofino we wanted to buy a 1/2 dozen eggs for tomorrows breakfast but the clerk at the store said they only sold them by the dozen. So Tom told her that's OK we will just throw six of them at cars. Anyway Tom put six of the eggs in his egg proof plastic cantainer and Mike cut the egg cardboard carton in half and doubled wraped the the eggs in it. This is the results of Toms eggs

Mike eggs were intact.

It was around 6:00 and we wanted to get to Powell Campground so we decided to take the Gravey Creek Rd down to Hwy 12 and then into Powell Instead of finishing up the Lolo trail

It was nice to get a hot shower and clean up after that dusty ride.

Oh here is how I held my Gobi case on after I broke the latch from the fall two days ago.

What is so neat about Idaho campground is this.

Did you guess - Fire wood already stacked up.

Once again I was bleeding my clutch for the next day adventure UGG!!

Ended the day with 217 miles 17 mph in 12 hr 51 min. See we couldn't off been doing crotch rocket speeds with this type of average.

Here is todays gps route
Attached Files
File Type: gpx day 5 track gpx.gpx (748.5 KB, 60 views)

2010 KTM 450EXC (FSL)
06 KTM 950 Adventure (Orange)

Fire Road Closure Report

Dual Sport Tire price comarison

2008 Idaho ride

Camp Chair

KTMarty screwed with this post 08-28-2008 at 07:47 PM
KTMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:13 PM   #17
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,780
Pretty cool you guys. Really need to get myself a twin!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:22 PM   #18
ronsolo
Hooplehead

Oddometer: 826
Damn guys, very nice. You do those KTMs proud. Great bikes and trip.

Also thanks for posting your gpx files. That's very cool.

ronsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:03 PM   #19
lsvens
Could I re-weld that?

Oddometer: 42
Fantastic post gents. Hi to MRudy from Daren and Les, the UK blokes on the KLR's in Oregon...Love your adventure posts and your great pictures Mike. Keep in touch, and thanks for all you gents posting this adventure thread. It inspires us Brits to do more with less.
Mike, have some round alum bar welded to the underside of the rack to brace the bending area. Go with a latice/triangle pattern to disperse the load evenly. Gusset your verticle brackets also to resist the Force Luke. Try to have the bending forces directed toward the bolt/mounting area and you may be better off. Half fill the containers or mount then lower perhaps...good idea though Mike. Extra gas and water is always good when heading off the beaten tracks...and why be on the well beaten tracks one wonders?

Cheers,
Les.

lsvens screwed with this post 08-31-2008 at 11:13 PM
lsvens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:40 AM   #20
KTMarty OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Extra water and fuel was a most on this ride. I brought along this water jug which fit nicely in my Gobi case.

It does take up space but was well used. At a one campsite there was no drinking water available.

Here is my extra fuel setup.

Tom and I thought this was the best place to put these jugs, but after the crash I did I'm lucky it did not poke a hole in the container, did dent it though. Going to remount them on the backside. Also they get in the way of your leg/foot.

These container or a pain to fill with a gas station hose. Even with a funnel it was a very slow process. Plus you need to leave plenty of room for expansion or gas will leak out.

2010 KTM 450EXC (FSL)

Fire Road Closure Report

2008 Idaho ride

Camp Chair
Old 09-01-2008, 09:43 AM   #21
KTMarty OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 6 Thurs - Elk Summit then To Cedars CG

Day 6 Thurs - Elk Summit then To Cedars CG

Our plan for the day was to take a ride up to Elk Summit and then head up Lolo Moto Way Trail/Toboggan Ridge and then towards Superior Montana. But ran out of time and camped at Cedars.

We took our time getting up. After fueling up and left Powell area around 9:30

This was the area I thought for sure we see ElK, Moose, Bear ect but only the littlest creatures were out and there were hungry. We arrived around 10:30. Should of gotten up there early or in the evening.

These pics are at the Volunteer Ranger's house. People stay for a two week duration.

Here is a Movie of the area.

We then went up the road to Hoodoo Lake.

Here is a Movie of the lake

We then started to head out. Here is a Movie of us leaving.

And another Movie pf id going down the road. This clip only showed a very small section of the area. Must experience it in person.

Here is the back side of Mike as we navigate back down from Elk Summit. One thing I can say about the fire roads in Idaho there are fantastic. Very well kept up.

We crossed Hwy 12 and started up to the Lolo Moto Way Trail

The road switched back and forth up the mountain. Here you can see the road on the other side of the valley. Tom or Mike or over there somewhere. This section of the Lolo trail was the best so far.

Here is a pic looking South. You can see the road that we came up on below.

Somewhere on the Lolo Moto Way Trail

Tom and Mike looking over were we are. Differently not in Kansas.

Here is the Cayuse junction of Lolo Motor Way and Tobbogan Ridge

Crossing Cayus Creek

Just some More great scenery

Here is a Movie of looking back at Cayuse Juction.

Here is a Movie of Tom riding down a section of Tobbogan Ridge and the view.

We ended up at Cedars camp ground and from the look of Mike & Tom's faces it was a hot and dusty ride. The temps were starting to rise in the 90's.

Ended the day with only 129 miles 13 mph ave in 9 hours 34 min.

Attached is the gpx of the route.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx day 6 track gpx.gpx (640.3 KB, 54 views)

2010 KTM 450EXC (FSL)

Fire Road Closure Report

2008 Idaho ride

Camp Chair
Old 09-01-2008, 09:57 AM   #22
Astir
Adventuress

Oddometer: 195

Astir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:56 PM   #23
KTMarty OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 7 Fri - Back to Spokane

Day 7 Fri - Back to Spokane

We packed up and headed to Superior Montana to get fuel. The ride from The Cedars to Superior was mainly on a paved two lane road and had some nice views.

Here is our route we took for the day.

Here is a pic along the way to Superior MT

Getting bike and bodies re fueled at the Town Pump in Superior MT

Here is Tom crossing a bridge.

We came upon a logging truck that was not about to move out of our way. I saw it coming and had time to get off the road. Tom got a flat right as the truck was coming at him and had a fun time getting to the side of the road. We filled the tire so he could move up to a better spot to change the flat.

Not bad about 1100 miles and only one flat between us.

Flat fix and we are on our way.

Movie clip of Mike and Tom heading out.

Took a lunch break overlooking Missoula Lake MT.

Here is a Movie pic of the area.

And a timed shot of the three of us.

We met a pickup truck coming the other way and told us to get off the road. This is what was coming.

Here is a Movie clip of the truck and all its dust.

Tom showing great style

and Mike

Fire in the distance but did not ride to it.

As we headed down following St Joes River it was neat to see it start out as a trickle then get big enough for power boats.

It got hot as we descended into the valley. Temp were close to 100.

Had dinner at Saint Maries and decided to head to Heyburn state park to camp but it was full and we were tired and decided to just head back to Spokane and get an early start home the next day.

Back at Mike's dad place.

Mike decided to camp right here for the night.

Ended the day with 229 miles 20mph ave in 11 hours 42 min. This was our longest and hottest day of the trip.

Attached is the gps route
Attached Files
File Type: gpx day 7 track gpx.gpx (636.9 KB, 50 views)

2010 KTM 450EXC (FSL)

Fire Road Closure Report

2008 Idaho ride

Camp Chair
Old 09-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #24
Nanuq
Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer: 1,067
Sweet picts.
2008 KLR 685- Iron Butt Association #44803
Trippin' in the Yukon & the AK!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
Nanuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:46 PM   #25
Rainbow007
Boldly going Nowhere

Oddometer: 276
Enjoyed your report very much. I plan on a going in some of the same areas and was curious what obstacles I might have, now I know. Looked like an absolutely fantastic time.
04 CRF230
11 DR650
Rainbow007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:20 PM   #26
KTMarty OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Epilogue - Day 8 Saturday.

Saturday we got up early and was ready to hit the road back to the west side of WA state.

It sure was nice to have a chauffeur drive me home. Even though he lost a few marbles.

It was nice to set and relax and talk about our adventure heading back west.

It was a great ride and I would do it again in a heart beat with these two great adventurers.
From left (Mike, Tom)

For those who was wondering about my clutch. Got home and tore it apart and found dirt in the reservoir and in the clutch cylinder. Pump out all the old fluid and replaced it with clean fluid and been working like a champ for the last two weeks. Now my starter just went. At least it did not do it on the trip.

Just got done talking to Lynnwood Motoplex and they are going to care of the starter even though it been 5 months past my warranty. Kudos for Lynwood Motoplex for taking the extra mile and checking with KTM in fixing this problem with these bikes.

Later Marty

2010 KTM 450EXC (FSL)

Fire Road Closure Report

2008 Idaho ride

Camp Chair

KTMarty screwed with this post 09-02-2008 at 05:28 PM
Old 09-02-2008, 07:06 PM   #27
mrudy
"Let's Ride"

Oddometer: 277
Back from surgery---

I had surgery over the Labor Day Weekend-Yuck-Puke-Choke and am a bit drained right now, but plan to add my "truths" to Marty's story he's laid out for you.

So stay tuned.....
05 KTM 450 EXC GONE
Pics at http://www.mrudy.smugmug.com
mrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:44 AM   #28
robdogg
turnip truck driver

Oddometer: 1,727
nice report guys.. did a somewhat similar ride a couple of years ago.. that country is made for the big KTM twin
John 5:24

CMA Fast Lane Forums
robdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:07 AM   #29
mrudy
"Let's Ride"

Day 2 Fire?

I got my hands on Tom's images, finally so I have another angle of photos to help tell the story.

As Marty mentioned, he was having issues with his clutch, having to bleed it every so often. He had a small container of mineral oil he kept under his seat. Sometimes, Marty wouldn't discover he needed to bleed his clutch until after we've had a break and we're heading out. So, now we're all sitting around waiting on him to bleed his freakin' clutch. This makes poor Marty get in a fluster and he tries to do the job quickly, but he ends up being careless. Well, when he goes to put the bottle away, he misses the bin and winds up putting the bottle on the exhaust, instead.

Here's Tom's pics
Smoke billowing from Marty's bike

Mike grabs his water jug, just in case
05 KTM 450 EXC GONE
Pics at http://www.mrudy.smugmug.com
mrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:16 AM   #30
mrudy
"Let's Ride"

Day 3 supplemental

Some of the local modes of transportation in Yellow Pine