ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2008, 10:41 AM   #31
mrudy
"Let's Ride"

Oddometer: 277
Some of Tom's images

Here's some of Tom's images

Marty dropping his bike in front of the Liquor store in Riggins.

Fish Creek CG was the nicest USFS CG I've ever seen.

Performed some maintenance on my bike. Changed out the rear brake pads. I knew I would need to do this chore while on the trip so I came prepared. Notice the TKC-80 is already showing major signs of wear.

It proved to be beneficial that Marty brought his lap top along. Although he had spent countless hours in the months leading up to the trip developing routes, we had numerous changes that were the result of new information, time, or direction. Marty was able to update our GPS routes for the next day.

Moose?

Don't you see the moose in this picture? Are you sure? I swear that bent over tree looks just like a moose...

It was at this point at Toboggan Creek we discovered Marty's Pelican case was not latched and half of its contents were missing! It was over 6 miles back up the ridge to our previous resting point where Marty had gotten into his Pelican case. So Marty headed back up the hill and I followed along to help. We found bags of beef jerky, socks, straps and other sorted gear, but we really needed to find his bag with all the GPS & computer connectors. We rode all the way back to the previous rest point without finding it. We noticed a large water bar bump along the route and suspected the bag was there somewhere in the bushes or something. We went back to that spot, an lo and behold, there it was off the side of the road. Whew!

The end of the trip burning of the old, crusted underwear.

Roadkill Mike

Roadside flat repair

An intelligent group

Yes, watchout for oncoming traffic

Missoula Lake
05 KTM 450 EXC GONE
Pics at http://www.mrudy.smugmug.com
mrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:31 PM   #32
KTMarty OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrudy
I got my hands on Tom's images, finally so I have another angle of photos to help tell the story.

As Marty mentioned, he was having issues with his clutch, having to bleed it every so often. He had a small container of mineral oil he kept under his seat. Sometimes, Marty wouldn't discover he needed to bleed his clutch until after we've had a break and we're heading out. So, now we're all sitting around waiting on him to bleed his freakin' clutch. This makes poor Marty get in a fluster and he tries to do the job quickly, but he ends up being careless. Well, when he goes to put the bottle away, he misses the bin and winds up putting the bottle on the exhaust, instead.

Here's Tom's pics
Smoke billowing from Marty's bike

Mike grabs his water jug, just in case
Yea I was rushing the job. I did not want to loosen one side of the tank bag so I could take the seat completely off so I just lifted the seat high enough to get the mineral oil and putting oil back it was a touch and feel type of effort which resulted in missing the tool box container and next to the engine on top of the pipes. Sure was a sight to see.

2010 KTM 450EXC (FSL)
06 KTM 950 Adventure (Orange)

Fire Road Closure Report

Dual Sport Tire price comarison

2008 Idaho ride

Camp Chair
KTMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:23 AM   #33
chadwickster
GO!!!!!! TWINKY

Oddometer: 20
strewth what a fantastic trip we can only dream of rides like that over here

www.ruggedroads.co.uk
chadwickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:44 AM   #34
John E Davies
Runs at Mouth Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMarty
Day 2 Sat
Here is the route we took:

Hey thanks so much for a GREAT ride report. I have some questions about the Hell's Canyon section. The "Recreation Map" linked below shows many of those back roads to be "trails" and the gray area is Wilderness.
http://www.fs.fed.us/hellscanyon/thi...o/recmap.shtml

Were the roads you rode posted or marked in any way? Are they equivalent to the Green Dot roads on DNR land (open range)?

In other words, were you guys legal or were you "gate busting"?

How come you guys missed the Hat Point overlook? That is supposed to be spectacular.

Do you have any idea if NFS 3965 south of Hat Point (about 2 miles east of your track) is open to motorized traffic? I see you went up it a ways from the south end and then back tracked....

I have been planning a camping trip there with the family, but was getting a little discouraged by the idea of lots of posted dirt roads.

BTW, I liked your report so much, I saved the first two pages as "Web Page Complete', in case the pics ever disappeared off the servers. Great photos, and I really appreciate the tracks! Is there any chance you can post them in .gdb format, all in one place?

Thanks.

Home Page: http://www.spokanister.net

John E Davies screwed with this post 10-22-2008 at 09:54 AM
John E Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:20 AM   #35
KTMarty OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E Davies
Hey thanks so much for a GREAT ride report. I have some questions about the Hell's Canyon section. The "Recreation Map" linked below shows many of those back roads to be "trails" and the gray area is Wilderness.
http://www.fs.fed.us/hellscanyon/thi...o/recmap.shtml

Were the roads you rode posted or marked in any way? Are they equivalent to the Green Dot roads on DNR land (open range)?

In other words, were you guys legal or were you "gate busting"?

How come you guys missed the Hat Point overlook? That is supposed to be spectacular.

Do you have any idea if NFS 3965 south of Hat Point (about 2 miles east of your track) is open to motorized traffic? I see you went up it a ways from the south end and then back tracked....

I have been planning a camping trip there with the family, but was getting a little discouraged by the idea of lots of posted dirt roads.

BTW, I liked your report so much, I saved the first two pages as "Web Page Complete', in case the pics ever disappeared off the servers. Great photos, and I really appreciate the tracks! Is there any chance you can post them in .gdb format, all in one place?

Thanks.
Sorry for the long delay in replying back.

All the road on the route are legal and no "gate busting" was done except the three cattle gates that needed to be open and then closed. This is open range country and a lot a cows are roaming in the area.

Do not recall why we turned around and did not go to Hat point. Probably did not know about it.

I will PM you so I can send the routes as gdb format.

We had a great time on this ride and planning on doing the Continental Ride from Co to Canada this Summer. Keep an eye out for that report.

2010 KTM 450EXC (FSL)
06 KTM 950 Adventure (Orange)

Fire Road Closure Report

Dual Sport Tire price comarison

2008 Idaho ride

Camp Chair
KTMarty is offline   Reply With Quote