User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
flightestman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Does anyone find the ABS setting confusing. on the R1200GS

Man the manual is confusing about the ABS and linking and the ASC, i just though it was ABS on and off and i dont understand the linking thing, i says you touch the rear break and then it unlinks the breaks with ABS off. anways i confused about when ABS is working and when it is off and what the heck is ASC another mode i had no idea they run together in certain modes. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
flightestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightestman View Post
Man the manual is confusing about the ABS and linking and the ASC, i just though it was ABS on and off and i dont understand the linking thing, i says you touch the rear break and then it unlinks the breaks with ABS off. anways i confused about when ABS is working and when it is off and what the heck is ASC another mode i had no idea they run together in certain modes. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
The abs is always on unless you turn it off.Asc is traction control, like if you hit ice, the computer detects wheelspin and cuts power so you don't lose traction.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
PhotoBiker
Please insert title here

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Did you not get a walkthrough by the Beemer salesperson?

Linked ABS brakes are pretty straight-forward.

You panic and grab too much front brake and the ABS system automatically distributes the load between front and rear. This also means that you do not have to touch the rear brake pedal.

Not into linked breaks? Lead with the rear brake then apply front brake and there is no linking, you control the load yourself.

In both examples you still have ABS.

To disable ABS, you have to be stopped, then you hit the ABS button. Same deal to re-enable it (though I believe if you shut the bike down, ABS is enabled on start. I never read the manual, so I could be wrong ;-)
'06 Ninja 250
Check out my Gallery
PhotoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer: 18,228
Nope
Old 11-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
JKGREEN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
I still haven't figured out the settings for ABS. The one button control and the little icon display sucks. I usually find out ABS is still on when I am in a critical situation (off road) either climbing a hill or in loose terrain. I am thinking of taking a permanent marker and write mode instructions on the bike and icon meaning on the display - I will do that for BMW since they failed in this area.
JKGREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
JKGREEN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKGREEN View Post
I still haven't figured out the settings for ABS. The one button control and the little icon display sucks. I usually find out ABS is still on when I am in a critical situation (off road) either climbing a hill or in loose terrain. I am thinking of taking a permanent marker and write mode instructions on the bike and icon meaning on the display - I will do that for BMW since they failed in this area.

Oops! I realized my comment was for traction control which is on the same button with ABS.
JKGREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
flightestman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

They claim the stopping because the bike is more for touring.

OK that helps a lot with the linking, but if your read the manual its not clear if when you hit the rear break it permanently deactivate the linking or it just when you touch the rear break but then if you got back and hit the front alone then it linked. it read the line again it like it will deactivate the linking if you hit the rear break, yes the linking ABS is amazing i love it i can not believe people would NOT get that with their bikes its the best option the bike has.I knew you can turn it off and back on an ABS is back on but i wanted to do the one where your not stopped on the fly while running my 2012 does that you dont have to stop. the electronic suspension with mountain and the combo of normal comfort (my favorite), sport, and the helmets and the mountain icons combined with the ASC is really hard to understand. i can remember all them and ho they work together.
The traction control i think i have mostly down, basically nothing shows up unless you slip then it a circle with the alarm, and you can set it for off road slip then its a S with a circle around it it on all the time while you set it that way.

The new DOHC is slightly better then the F800 now that they changed it and the ABS in the 1200 you can even feel it working it much better then the F800 ABS it works but man it ruff as heck and is a very different system or must because the feel is so different.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #8
flightestman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here another one

why have it show traction control in S with a circle but then have no icon unless it activating why not have them both show they are working, keep it easy the other way makes no sense. you have to then remember what does that does well the S does this nope cant use that logic, I never saw the slip and turn on i rather see the icon with the circle (!) around the like this just like the S has slip for of road use. Why flip them and have them mean the totally opposite meaning. I'm still not sure if the slip is on on the on road. it may be on it may be off i have no idea i have to re look at my book if could just apply the same meaning it be so much easier it on ok it active but it off and then it flashes but then it totaly different meaning it on S off road and it flashes when it work why not just keep them the same meaning on a flash why change the meaning of them it makes is confusing.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #9
flightestman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

"OK i have almost i down now.

ESA is a separate button if you just tap it i goes through the road setting if you hold it it sets for helmets (persons) and luggage and then off road smooth and off-road not smooth. its suppose to then have the shock rise for clearance in off road big mountain icon mode. I guess the on road might make it taller but not so tall as the off road mode.

I also think i have the ASC down basically i hold it and it scrolls through active with S and inactive with !. ABS is weird still you have to be stopped i guess that the different when the software activate ABS if you moving ASC works with the same sequence as ABS is when your not moving. i hat to use the key off on it too wasy but have done it while moving it was not that hard an di could still drive till it switched back on.

BMW needs to get people on survey and then go by what people test for and find confusing. also I think the directions are bad. "It changes" they use that term it changes is appearance thats vague, you mean if blinks then say it blinks i have no idea what changing it appearance entails what if its a error that changes it appearance too.

flightestman screwed with this post 11-08-2011 at 03:43 PM
Old 11-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #10
flightestman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

how do you disable ABS without the key

brake failure light goes on up above the lcd screen. touching ABS button or holding it for a few seconds?
Old 11-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #11
Brit in SF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
why have it show traction control in S with a circle but then have no icon unless it activating why not have them both show they are working, keep it easy the other way makes no sense. you have to then remember what does that does well the S does this nope cant use that logic, I never saw the slip and turn on i rather see the icon with the circle (!) around the like this just like the S has slip for of road use. Why flip them and have them mean the totally opposite meaning. I'm still not sure if the slip is on on the on road. it may be on it may be off i have no idea i have to re look at my book if could just apply the same meaning it be so much easier it on ok it active but it off and then it flashes but then it totaly different meaning it on S off road and it flashes when it work why not just keep them the same meaning on a flash why change the meaning of them it makes is confusing.
Pretty standard set up, similar to cars with similar functions.

No lights when in default mode which would be full ASC safety net in place, no warning symbols needed.

Reduced ASC (off road mode) warning symbol to remind you of limited assistance.
Turn it Full off ASC flashing warning symbol to remind you you are on your own.

Same for ABS, no warning lights when you have full safety net, flashing light to remind you that you have disabled the safety net and responsible to threshold brake.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:40 PM   #12
flightestman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

that makes it easier

the dealer told me that you can hold in the ABS for 5 seconds and it will change it to off and hold it in for 5 seconds when you on the move and it will turn it back on. Is he correct about that or is that totally not true. Can you ever turn ABS off and on while on the move without using the key.
So what is limited slip with the S
Also what is offroad ESA do to the big mountain icon with the suspension?
What does the smooth ESA off road do with the suspension?
Old 11-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #13
RomaDakota
Illuminatus

Oddometer: 1,333
Things are getting mixed here.

ABS is brake control
ASC is traction/power control
ESA is suspension control

ABS and ASC need to be off when on gravel or dirt as some slipping and sliding is normal for control and you don't want the bike messing with that. ACS can be controlled on the fly, ABS requires stopping.
ESA controls damping and preload on the shocks. Comf, normal and sport are road rebound settings going from soft to harder. The helmet, luggage, etc adjusts preload (shocks get taller, maybe just the rear shock). For off-road there are other similar settings for damping and small hills/big hills for preload (shocks get even taller, front also raises). Damping can be controlled on the fly, preload requires stopping.

Maybe it is complicated . However mess with it a few times and you get use to it.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:41 PM   #14
Beemerlover
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaDakota View Post
Things are getting mixed here.

ABS is brake control
ASC is traction/power control
ESA is suspension control

ABS and ASC need to be off when on gravel or dirt as some slipping and sliding is normal for control and you don't want the bike messing with that. ACS can be controlled on the fly, ABS requires stopping.
ESA controls damping and preload on the shocks. Comf, normal and sport are road rebound settings going from soft to harder. The helmet, luggage, etc adjusts preload (shocks get taller, maybe just the rear shock). For off-road there are other similar settings for damping and small hills/big hills for preload (shocks get even taller, front also raises). Damping can be controlled on the fly, preload requires stopping.

Maybe it is complicated . However mess with it a few times and you get use to it.
Also, it's my understanding that once you turn the key off, when you turn it back on both the ABS & ASC will be back on again but the ESA will remain where you had it set before. Is that right?
Beemerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #15
RomaDakota
Illuminatus

Oddometer: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerlover View Post
Also, it's my understanding that once you turn the key off, when you turn it back on both the ABS & ASC will be back on again but the ESA will remain where you had it set before. Is that right?
Yep, correct.

Also you can shut off the bike with the kill switch and leave the key alone (still on) if you need the shut off the bike for a bit. Kill switch back on and fire up the bike - the ABS & ASC will stay off or whatever settings you had prior to shutting off bike.