User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2008, 06:42 AM   #1
Charles Seguin OP
Noob4Life

Oddometer: 521
Eek South America: Until our Luck or Money Runs Out

My brother Joe (J_Seguin) and I graduated college this last Fall. The winter before that we decided it was time to do a big ride: through Central and South America down to Tierra Del Fuego. When I called him the conversation went like this:

“I think we should ride South America or Europe the summer after we graduate”

“Europe? Screw that. We’re going to South America.”

“Ok, we’ll go to South America”

“How am I going to get the money to do this?”

“You’ll find a way.”

“I don’t know how I’m going to get the money.”

“You’ll find a way.”

“Ok”

“Ok, talk to you later.”

“Ok, bye.”

We later decided to take about 6 months to do the ride, which involved putting off our career plans for a year. I had an offer to go to Princeton for graduate school and I told them where they could stuff it (after unsuccessfully begging them to defer me for a year). And Joe told Teach for America where they could put their offer (after unsuccessfully begging them to defer him for a year).

There were and are a lot of people who thought and think that we’re crazy for riding to South America; people afraid of disease, banditos, rebels, corrupt cops, crazy drivers, insufficient engine displacement etc. While we’ve taken all reasonable precautions we can, in the end we decided it’s worth the risk.

The machines are to be a 1990 DR650 (my brother’s) and a 1990 KLR250 (my own). I’ll have to post later with a list of the things I did to prepare the 250, I’m sure my brother will do the same.

The route is to be roughly down the west coast of Central and South America until we reach Tierra Del Fuego. After that? We’ll ride the bikes off into the ocean, swim back to shore and fly home.

We’re funding the trip on student loans and an insurance settlement for a motorcycle accident I was in 2 years ago.

I’ll be leaving Kansas City on Labor Day to meet my brother in Colorado Springs, then the trip begins. Stay tuned…
Old 08-26-2008, 07:49 AM   #2
j_seguin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Whats wrong with the normal text color?

j_seguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:03 AM   #3
NomadRip
Always a n00b

Oddometer: 3,364
This should be fun...

Click to save $5 when you sign up for a SmugMug account! Or sign up with this coupon code: QzxDJzcJstR4A
NomadRip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:46 AM   #4
j_seguin
Studly Adventurer

I purchased a 1990 DR650 with 8k miles on it last October. A friend of mine drove me up to outside Bailey Colorado to pick it up one day after class / work. We got a late start so we didn't arrive at the guy's house until dark. Then we had to adjust the suspension because I am, as my boss calls it, vertically challenged. Once the suspension was adjusted we also had to fashion a new kickstand. Luckily the guy had all the tools we needed and a welder, as well as a shop full of about 20 really cool old and new bikes.

I had been feeling under the weather for the past week and when we got there I had a pretty wicked fever. It was well after dark when we left and the temperature had dropped at least 20 degrees. It was now around 28 F and snowing outside his shop. The bike was still too tall for me, I used to ride a KZ650 that I could almost flat-foot and this bike was about 6 inches taller. So I suited up and began to ride at a snail's pace down the gravel road from his house with my friend following me in her Xterra.

The bike ran out of gas at the bottom of the hill leading to the highway. I wasn't totally convinced until I kicked it for about 15 minutes, thinking that I had stalled it and it wouldn't start easily due to the weather. We moved the bike to the side of the road and drove back to the guy's house, got him out of the shower and into his truck with a gas can. Put gas in the bike started it and were on our way.

As it turns out the battery was dead and wouldn't take a charge. The headlight was so dim I had to follow my friend a lot closer than I would have liked just so I could see the road. The temperature kept dropping and it started to snow even harder. My neck was numb and I was getting even more feverish. We got home at like 1 am, and I went straight to bed. Over the next week I proceeded to get so sick that I didn't eat anything for well over 48 hours, and was so dehydrated I should have been hospitalized. I lost 10 pounds over the next four days.

But it was all worth it, I had the bike I'd take to South America

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377792

Old 08-26-2008, 08:50 AM   #5
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,340
I'm looking forward to this one! Klay has been telling me all about it!

Good luck guys and have a great time!!

Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:12 AM   #6
j_seguin
Studly Adventurer

Preparation:

What I've done so far:

Vaccinations (Hep C, Yellow Fever, Tetanus Booster, some other stuff)
Anti-malarial and antibiotic perscriptions, inhaler for high altitude exercise
Purchased new all purpose boots for off the bike
Purchased new 3 man tent, large enough for the two of us and any gear that we really don't want out in the rain
Researched roughly one half of the countries we will visit on our way South. (This included where to go, how to get there, what to do, when to do it, and developing a list of contacts for overnight stays and country specific advice)
Assembled the trip toolkit

Still to do:

Laminated color copies of driver's license
Obtain and copy international driver's license - complete 8/29
Copies of all important documents (title, registration, passport, etc.)
Develop some sort of filing system for said documents
Purchase Medjet Assist insurance
Purchase ulitilty shirt and pants w/ built in bug repellent - ordered 8/26/08
Purchase new riding pants and waterproof them
Purchase new riding boots and waterproof them
Purchase topcase ordered 8/26/08

Bike prep:

New spark plugs
New air filter
Acerbis handguards
Universal windshield (still needs some adjustment and modification)
Valve adjustment
Cleaned and greased all electrical connections
New chain and sprockets
New chain guide
Mermite side cases (thanks for the inspiration Hondo: http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom...20project.html)
New fork oil
New break fluid

Still to do:

Balancer chain adjustment and oil change
Fabricate rack and mounts for side cases - complete 8/29
Install new break pads
Mount and balance new tires
Clean carb and replace seals
Cable lubrication
Order spare parts for trip - complete 8-27

I'll post pics of what I've done with the bike eventually

j_seguin screwed with this post 08-29-2008 at 08:44 PM
Old 08-26-2008, 09:14 AM   #7
j_seguin
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Abbzug

Charles and our father are coming out, and I'm going to take them for a two day southern Colorado ride, leaving the 3rd. I was thinking we'll probably head down 50 through Salida to start the ride, so if you and Duke are going to be around we'd love to meet you.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:34 AM   #8
Incredulous
Peanut Gallery

Oddometer: 566
I am so jealous. I did the Europe thing after college (backpacking.) Kind of wish I had gone your route.

Incredulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:46 AM   #9
humvee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Abbzug

A ha....I've been looking for this one too. Good luck fella's
Old 08-26-2008, 09:50 AM   #10
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_seguin
Charles and our father are coming out, and I'm going to take them for a two day southern Colorado ride, leaving the 3rd. I was thinking we'll probably head down 50 through Salida to start the ride, so if you and Duke are going to be around we'd love to meet you.
That sounds fantastic, we'd love to meet you too! Klay knows where our house and shops are, so please drop in!

edit: Klay just informed me that he would not be the one coming with you ! But we would love to meet the two of you and your Dad, so I'm gonna send ya a pm with our contact info!

Bonnie Abbzug screwed with this post 08-26-2008 at 10:09 AM
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:52 AM   #11
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,624
You guys didn't mention medjetassist or travelguard or something similar. Or rabies shots. It's oo late for rabies shots, but not medjet.

I was glad to have my big GS, but there were a few hundred times I wished I had a 250. You are going to have so much fun with both those bikes!

Have fun!
Old 08-26-2008, 09:57 AM   #12
j_seguin
Studly Adventurer

I mentioned it (medjet assist) as something we still need to purchase. We'll have it for sure. As far as rabies goes the vaccination is something crazy like $1300, I beleive my insurance covers that but it seems pretty rediculous. If I get bit I'll go in somewhere and get the treatment I guess.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:36 AM   #13
ecampo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
DOnt worried about rabbies, over here Guatemala at least , and im pretty sure all south america, its normal to any hospital or centro de salud (free medics, ) have vaccination for rabies, the only bad thing its going to be like 10 shoots , well a few years ago was 21. . so avoid dogs bites.. .

with this kind of small bikes , you will be able to do a lot of more dirtroads, and all latin america has a lot of them...... enjoy it, and when youre in guatemala and need any help you can PM .

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_seguin
I mentioned it (medjet assist) as something we still need to purchase. We'll have it for sure. As far as rabies goes the vaccination is something crazy like $1300, I beleive my insurance covers that but it seems pretty rediculous. If I get bit I'll go in somewhere and get the treatment I guess.
ecampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:07 AM   #14
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,227
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:15 AM   #15
guesswork
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
For a primer..

Rent the movie "Motorcycle Diaries".....
guesswork is offline   Reply With Quote