Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2008, 09:08 AM   #31
Neubz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride
People have already reported over 300 miles out of that tank.
75mpg?

I don't buy it.

"The subframe bolts have sheared off? No, we don't have any replacements. Perhaps some chicken wire will do the job?"
Neubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:25 AM   #32
sgopher185
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
I also have a really hard time believing 300 miles out of a tank. I am at roughly 600 miles (going in for service on thursday). I get around 53 mpg (OBC reports 50). The light comes on at 190 miles and I have put at most 3.8 gallons. 300 miles seems hard to believe. I am also keeping the bike under 5k rpms during this time.

Who is getting 75 mpg?
2004 TTR125 (son's bike)
Past Rides:
2004 950 S GO!!!! (Incredible bike that I really miss)
1995 VFR 750 (love the v-4 sound !)
1987 Hurricane 1000
1988 Hurricane 600
1985 VF500F
sgopher185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:33 AM   #33
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,292
I'm getting 264'ish to a tank without trying to economise. Don't find it difficult to believe 300 is possible. Depends on how and where you ride it, I guess.

Funny thing. The computer always seems to set itself to a range of around 160 miles when just filled up but stays there for about 100 miles before coming down.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:49 AM   #34
FarmerRick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
Like the 4 wheeler hyper-milers, I'm sure 300 miles or more is possible. ON a recent ride coming down some mountain roads, I saw my "instant MPG" reading hit 191 mpg. But... one must go uphill in order to save gas going down! I'm averaging about 60mpg and I'm confident 240-250 is doable but... I too would love to have a 2+ gallon AUX tank for some planned trips.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
I'm getting 264'ish to a tank without trying to economise. Don't find it difficult to believe 300 is possible. Depends on how and where you ride it, I guess.

Funny thing. The computer always seems to set itself to a range of around 160 miles when just filled up but stays there for about 100 miles before coming down.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:05 AM   #35
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker
Is there really a spot on this planet where a 200 mile range is not enough?
If you do a lot of Iron Butt Association rides, it's not uncommon to do 300 miles without stopping.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:38 PM   #36
One Eye Mike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
My 800 went 235 miles on the 1st tank (under 5k rpm's) and still had a little left over. And that was mountain riding, sea level, and everything in between!
One Eye Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:13 AM   #37
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Eye Mike
My 800 went 235 miles on the 1st tank (under 5k rpm's) and still had a little left over. And that was mountain riding, sea level, and everything in between!
I love my bike, but I've never gotten over 200. Under 5k, over 5k, dirt, superslab, whatever.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:50 PM   #38
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by discochris
If you do a lot of Iron Butt Association rides, it's not uncommon to do 300 miles without stopping.
I can see where in some instances you need a large tank. I have 2 KLR's both fitted with the IMS tanks, mainly because they are cheaper than stock tanks and I don't have to mess with the silly shrouds on the side.
OK, so, if you doing an iron butt fairly often and the one stretch of the dalton highway where you need an extra gallon and you have a butt load of money you wish to dispose of, I guess it's a good idea.
With reference to the bush in San Francisco, you only have to travel a day from here to be in some of the most remote areas in America. In those cases I have done the fuel bottle thing, strapping a gallon or two to my boxes.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:56 PM   #39
Keystone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by ]I)Money
I love my bike, but I've never gotten over 200. Under 5k, over 5k, dirt, superslab, whatever.
I happen to keep a spreadsheet I update at every fill up (shh, I'm a BMW geek, it's required). Here are the vital stats I've seen:

Longest run on a tank
230.4 miles. The fuel tank took 4.217 gallons. For those of you playing along at home, that's 15.963 liters on a 16l tank. Averaged 54.6mpg on that tank -- all country roads with constantly fluctuating throttle (break in).

Best Mileage
67.3mpg over 56 miles. Net descent (ended up closer to sea level than I started), all highway, using every trick I could (drafting trucks, puttering along at 60mph, etc.) but hit a little stop and go traffic anyway. If not for the traffic I would have been in the 70's (was 75 before the traffic started).

Worst Mileage
When I'm on the highway I like to run fast. My worst mileage so far was 41.9mpg over 162miles. A little bird told me the bike will do 130 indicated, BTW. Same birdie told me that around that speed WOT delivers ~25mpg.

Overall
I've averaged 50mpg over 1400-some miles (I have an F650 for transportation, the 800 is for fun!). In 1400-some miles I've spent $113 on gas for an average fuel cost of 7.737 cents per mile.

Everyone else keeps fuel spreadsheets too...right?
'05 F650GS (Sold)
'04 K1200RS (Sold)
'03 F650GS (Crashed)
(formerly hyperiate)

http://www.shoottheapex.com
Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:05 PM   #40
blackie
Still Hibernating

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonistrom
this is another option and maybe the easiest:

You mean like THESE?
Old 09-30-2008, 09:09 PM   #41
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperiate
I happen to keep a spreadsheet I update at every fill up (shh, I'm a BMW geek, it's required). Here are the vital stats I've seen:

Longest run on a tank
230.4 miles. The fuel tank took 4.217 gallons. For those of you playing along at home, that's 15.963 liters on a 16l tank. Averaged 54.6mpg on that tank -- all country roads with constantly fluctuating throttle (break in).

Best Mileage
67.3mpg over 56 miles. Net descent (ended up closer to sea level than I started), all highway, using every trick I could (drafting trucks, puttering along at 60mph, etc.) but hit a little stop and go traffic anyway. If not for the traffic I would have been in the 70's (was 75 before the traffic started).

Worst Mileage
When I'm on the highway I like to run fast. My worst mileage so far was 41.9mpg over 162miles. A little bird told me the bike will do 130 indicated, BTW. Same birdie told me that around that speed WOT delivers ~25mpg.

Overall
I've averaged 50mpg over 1400-some miles (I have an F650 for transportation, the 800 is for fun!). In 1400-some miles I've spent $113 on gas for an average fuel cost of 7.737 cents per mile.

Um....
No, but, I suspect a careful perusal of your post would probably reveal why I've never gotten over 200 on a tank
I keep meaning to ride a tank purely for mileage, but, as they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions...

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:33 PM   #42
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,954
Quote:
you dont get out much do ya . Here in Oz if your into outback touring 500km range is just enough and 600km would be better
Old 09-30-2008, 09:34 PM   #43
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,323
Quote:
I may be wrong but, I stop at every gas station I see if I'm in the bush
Some of us don't like riding from gas station to gas station when riding in the Plains or Rockies. Meandering around out in the boonies is much more fun when the next fuel stop isn't at the top of the "to do list"...

Also, stopping every two or three hours when on long "A to B" slab rides can be tedious when the day is twelve or more hours long...

On a recent trip to Santa Fe, I was stopping about every 160/170 miles for fuel. Four fuel stops en route on my twelve hour, 775 mile trip. I'd have been much happier if I could've dropped a couple of those stops off the agenda and saved myself an hour, or so, of travel time...
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:38 PM   #44
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperiate

Longest run on a tank

Best Mileage

Worst Mileage

Overall

It's almost 800 miles from my house to the Rockies. I'd like to know what the F800's fuel economy / range is at 80mph and loaded with three-piece luggage... If the answer is something close to 40mpg, then the bike needs more fuel, IMHO...
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:26 PM   #45
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreg
you dont get out much do ya . Here in Oz if your into outback touring 500km range is just enough and 600km would be better
Dude, I spent years travelling around OZ, worked in the bush, shot roo's, herded sheep, harvested wheat, cotton and tomatoes and slept in swags in the middle of nowhere.
I had a little 250 over there that I circled the counrty with, rode it to that rock in the middle of nowhere and countless many more places. I strapped on extra fuel cans for extra range.
I keep forgetting I'm in a BMW section where wanting takes over from needing.
BTW. I wasn't referring to Australia in my post earlier. I know what goes on over there. I've seen more of Australia than most Australians.