Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2008, 01:33 PM   #61
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,829
We do a lot of long distance touring and have fuel cells or largers aftermarket tanks on 3 out of 4 bikes. ( I plan to add bike 4's cell this winter)

We (3 IBA types)rode the Dalton last summer 3 bikes 990 KTM, 1150 GS and 650 GS. Total fuel KTM 12 US Gal. GS 11.4 US , 650 Stock tank plus a one gallon cell. We had enough gas between the bikes to ride to Eagle Plains and back if needed.

We met a lot of "authorities on riding" who ridiculed our gas capacity. We never had a problem but the week after we were there there was a slide that closed the Dalton just south of Eagle Plains - a few riders were stranded in between with insufficient fuel. The Cassier & Campbell highways can be dodgy for fuel and north of Superior at night is another area of concern.

Riding in the North is far different than riding in the lower 48. Gas stations close early, don't get fuel delivery on a regular basis, or lose power due to forest fires and they just close for good.

My wife tours alone a lot and the safety factor for her being able to choose where she gets gas by having an aux cell is worth a lot. If a station looks unsafe she can ride to the next town.

On more than one ocassion I have been into my aux tank deeply before I can find gas. Carrying a plastic can is a safety risk if you crash. The IBA approved tanks meet some basic safety requirements.

A proper aux fuel cell is a good investment for us, but not for everyone. I have always sold each of mine for almost what I paid for them years and miles later.

YMMV

"Bill, I know you are of the ATGATT ilk but I think at times it clouds your reasoning."
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:25 PM   #62
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyflyer
...unless you go for the full advernture 200+ mile range is just for the iron butters or the posers going to that latte shop 2 suburbs across [/I]
Or for the guys (like me) who think riding from gas station to gas station sucks. There's nothing worse than having to plan around fuel stops.

I can easily sit on my bike through a tankful. I usually stop at about 170 miles on my Guzzis. I'd love to have 300 mile range so some of my stops were at places of my choosing rather than gas stations...

I guess if you're the type of rider who stops every half hour for a smoke or to stretch your legs, 170 miles range would be sufficient. I want more...

Fuel cells rock!
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:57 PM   #63
LDHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,355
So the 4 gallon tank is too small because someone might want to ride an IBA ride with it (yeah RIGHT on an F800GS) or ride across Australia or Peru?

I'd rather have the 4 gallon tank mounted down low than a huge tank up in front of the seat where most of them are and trust me I know. I have a KLR and it's so top heavy it's a joke off road partly BECAUSE of the big tank.

I applaud BMW for putting the tank where it doesn't upset the balance of the bike even if it IS "only 4 gallons", and if anyone actually needs more fuel there are PLENTY of ways to carry it without modifying the bike.

This is a PERFECT example of people that spend too much time behind keyboards worrying about meaningless trivia and specifications, and not enough time on motorcyle seats.

$bob$

2006 BMW R1200GS
2009 BMW G650GS (GSjr)
2006 Kawi KLX250S
1951 Body by Gold's Gym

I was an Adventure Rider when Adventure Riding wasn't cool...
LDHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:34 PM   #64
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDHunter
So the 4 gallon tank is too small because someone might want to ride an IBA ride with it (yeah RIGHT on an F800GS) or ride across Australia or Peru?
As a point of reference you could have done an IBA ride on the nice low miles (2K) Wee Strom that you just sold. I expect to see lots of 800GS's finishing IBA rides this year and more than a few to show up in some of the 2009 LD events.

It is too bad that you decided to become sarcastic in your response, it is not a gentlemanly way to socailly interact. I went back and looked at some of your other posts and you seem to like drama and getting into "situations," so I guess your keyboard antics on this thread are par for the course.

For the others following this thread lots of people do IBA rides and the Rally itself on very small motorcycles, Ed Otto's 250 Helix IBR finish and the animal's 11th place finish on a
250 Ninja in 2003. Some of us don't like to stop as often for gas as others, or have other valid reasons for carrying extra fuel, be it in a baggie or an FAA certified fuel bladder.

It isn't the machine it is the rider and some riders hone their tools differently than others. I prefer the rolling gas can mode of riding apparently you do not. So be it.

Quote:
This is a PERFECT example of people that spend too much time behind keyboards worrying about meaningless trivia and specifications, and not enough time on motorcyle seats.
I didn't think this post was about trivia, but about sharing information on the pros and cons of the different methods of carrying extra fuel. Nor did I see anyone posting that seemed to have a affinity for typing versus riding. Many of us in this thread spend an inordinate number of hours a year on motorycle seats.

"Bill, I know you are of the ATGATT ilk but I think at times it clouds your reasoning."

Bill 310 screwed with this post 12-23-2008 at 04:44 PM
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:59 PM   #65
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettrey1
I rode the western TAT last month with a buddy on a DL1000 with 41L Zegas that had two plastic bottles mounted on the rear. (also from TT)
I think they were about 1/2 gal each. Seems like that pretty much solved the problem of running short on fuel. (for him, at least; the Katoom has a 6.9 gal. tank....sweeeeet)

Only catch here is you've got to have large hard cases to mount them to.
I've got those same TT gas cans seams like a good idea, until you try fill them. The fill hole is only about 3/4", no gas pump I've ever seen will fit, and with the flow rate of gas pumps a funnel puts most of the gas on the ground. Kind of a stupid design.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:10 PM   #66
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,092
Hey Bill, there's nothing like experience to see the value of having enough gas ... running out of fuel in the middle of nowhere is real PITA. It only has to happen once to change your ways.
My first trip up the Cassiar, I found every station north of Dease Lake either closed or waiting for gas. One station hadn't had gas for two weeks. In most places you can usually beg a gallon from a driver but on that trip every damn vehicle was diesel powered. That was the longest 222 miles I've ever ridden.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:31 PM   #67
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg
I've got those same TT gas cans seams like a good idea, until you try fill them. The fill hole is only about 3/4", no gas pump I've ever seen will fit, and with the flow rate of gas pumps a funnel puts most of the gas on the ground. Kind of a stupid design.
Good info--thanks! (Where's the thumbs up smilie when you need it?)

Rob in Seattle
Old 12-23-2008, 10:19 PM   #68
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,193
LD hunter, here is an amazing tip..... dont fill your KLR up if you dont need the fuel. ( you can send some cash for this incredible advice that you havent figured out.) then ..... its not top heavy.
in western US/Canada, 4 gal doesnt cut it for many unless, bob, your just going from starbucks to starbucks.

I have a 5 gal on my XR, its not enough on most trips, other bikes I have have 5 max too, and running out of fuel out west you just dont call AAA, its serious as a heart attack, get stranded in some areas, its one hella trouble, you may not walk out, your dead meat . range is a major issue and dictates what some of us will buy. ( drum roll, for shocking revelation....) optional larger tank would make many do with the bike what they would like. and the company could make $ off it.

mileage can be lower then avg. due to riding in dirt, mountains, wind etc...

maybe some bmw designers and you would have a different opinion if you come out west for a long remote ride.

Quote:

I'd rather have the 4 gallon tank mounted down low than a huge tank up in front of the seat where most of them are and trust me I know. I have a KLR and it's so top heavy it's a joke off road partly BECAUSE of the big tank.

I applaud BMW for putting the tank where it doesn't upset the balance of the bike even if it IS "only 4 gallons", and if anyone actually needs more fuel there are PLENTY of ways to carry it without modifying the bike.

$bob$

HighwayChile screwed with this post 12-23-2008 at 10:32 PM
HighwayChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:08 AM   #69
Betelgeuse
Don't Panic

Oddometer: 212
TT Cans

I agree about the PITA filling proceedure. We had an el-cheap-o plastic funnel that squashed flat to solve the fill problem. Most of the extra fuel was consumed out behind the motel room cleaning filters.
Betelgeuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #70
Magile
"What exit?"

Oddometer: 339
1.5 Liter Primus Fuel Bottle

I've begun carrying two 1.5 liter Primus fuel bottles for back up. The neck has a 1" opening & takes a standard no-lead nozzle.

My partner's G650Xcountry goes dry at 160 miles. I haven't run my F800GS dry yet, but I usually fill it at ~220 miles.

The 1.5 bottles are $18 @ https://www.expeditionexchange.com/primus/

- M.

Magile screwed with this post 12-25-2008 at 05:12 AM
Magile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:53 PM   #71
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,504
When I was working out the rear rack for my F8 I decided to incorporate my 6.3l(1.4gal) Kolpin jerry into the setup. The pics show the bare rack, Kolpin mount on rack and the Kolpin jerry in place. I had a similar setup on my Dakar which upped my range by 30+ percent to over 500klm. The F8 should be about the same and gives me enough for most distances between fills that I need. The great thing is that I can still mount the tailbag without drama.

And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:38 PM   #72
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,632
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/w...8/DSCN0630.jpg

5L per side with the weight down low. can racks unbolt from the pannier racks if not needed. cans $7 each and all the racks fabbed from scrap laying around the shop. pelicans are 1450s. with the cases, let's say the total cost of the whole thing was under $200. they look pretty good when detailed and painted and are very sturdy.

i've been on most of the big gravel roads in the north and fuel is a big issue for me. the racks give me 7gal total. bike being prepped for a 21 day 09 trip.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:12 PM   #73
AngryRed
Lost in Cyber Space

Oddometer: 365
I keep reading reports about F800GS's running 200+ miles and I'm envious. Either my wrist is too heavy or the gas light on my bike is plum wrong. My light comes on pretty regularly at 170~ miles and I've ridden up to 200 so far. I'm a bit apprehensive to ride more than 30 miles once the light comes on as a few riders have reported running out of gas due to the computer mis-calculating their distance to empty. This always seemed weird to me as the gas light is independent of the trip computer but hey, who knows.

Anyway 200 miles is good, but a bit more would be really be nice. I regularly ride from Vegas to San Diego and it would be cool to make it from my house through the Mojave Preserve without having to stop at State Line with the rest of the I-15 to gas up.

2013 Super Tenere
AngryRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:09 PM   #74
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
Another thumbs up for tourtank. Excellent quality products.

Any bike I own, I'll rig one up so I can run the maximum IBA capacity if so needed. I even have one on my Concours, which has a 7.5 gallon stock capacity. It's also a lot easier to flip a switch while riding and have the extra fuel automatically there, than to have to stop, unhook a gas can, pour it into the tank, and waste a bunch of time.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:43 PM   #75
DesertRat
Dehydrated Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Hey Bigem, from the looks of that rack you could carry a spare bike!

Mike

09 F800 GS
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote