Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
mhpr262 OP

Oddometer: 3,363
Three days in the Alps

Tomorrow I´m going on a little trip through the Alps. I intend to be on the road for three days, with two nights spent camping.
Here´s the plan:

1st day:
leave Erding early, go through Munich and then travel south quickly on the Autobahn (I´m already not looking forward to this...). I´ll exit the Autobahn at Kochel and do the infamous "Kesselbergstrecke", a collection of great twisties between the Kochelsee and the Walchensee. From there I´ll keep going more or less straight south, to Mittenwald and Seefeld, then on into Austria.
Go west for a bit and then south again, through Ötz and Sölden on the B186...which will take me straight to the first really good part: the "Timmelsjoch", one of the most famous passes in the Alps. Do a quick detour to Meran in Southern Tyrolia, then go on to Sterzing over the "Jaufenpass", another great name. I think I´ll camp in Sterzing.

2nd day:
Leave Sterzing to go north again. I´ll cross the Brenner pass on the old road, not on the Autobahn and go on until I come to Innsbruck. from there I´ll go east for some time and then south again, through the "Zillertal" along the river Ziller, one of the most scenic regions of the Alps. I´ll pass through Zell am Ziller and Gmünd, generally following the B 165 until I arrive in Zell am See where I´ll pitch camp.
The nightlife in Zell am See is pretty weird, it has become something like an Arab tourist centre in the past few years. Last time i was there, every third person on the street was Arab, veiled women with burquas everywhere....

3rd day:
I´ll probably try to ride the "Großglockner Hochalpenstraße", possibly THE most famous scenic pass in the Alps. From there I´ll be riding home again, but there will still be plenty of opportunities for nice pictures!
mhpr262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
g®eg
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,179

better be snappin' some pics!

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g®eg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:34 PM   #3
Vic-klr
TEETET Aventuras T el T

Oddometer: 252
Old 08-26-2008, 01:46 PM   #4
dillinger09
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
It's these RR's (alps) that are extremely hazardous to my wallet

“If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” ~Bruce Lee

"What have we learned in this thread?

People who wear full faced helmets with tinted visors are aliens and can't scare teen aged girls at stop lights."-Fleg
dillinger09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:46 PM   #5
mhpr262 OP

here`s the route:

I hope you can all do a bit of vicarious travelling through me...

Oh, btw, the red x`s mark my camping grounds.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:55 PM   #6
mhpr262 OP

Here´s a large scale version so you get a better idea where everything is:

Old 08-26-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,257
I took a number of those roads in May, Timmelsjoch was closed with snow then. I stayed in Zell am See my last night also. Will be nice to see some summer pictures.
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:40 PM   #8
Mountain_Mike
BachEnthusiast

Oddometer: 107
Cool2 Must be the season for Alpine riding!

Over tomorrow and Thursday, the lovely Mrs B and I will travelling the following route (we are also doing a couple hours of motorway to get around the lake, up into Valais towards the high mountain roads):

Weather forecast is looking good for the next couple of days... if you were coming a little further west, we could have had a coffee somewhere

Michael B.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:39 PM   #9
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,550
This is going to be good

Old 08-26-2008, 11:05 PM   #10
mhpr262 OP

here´s a picture of my bike... it doesn´t always take one of those fancy, tricked out, snobbish KLRs with watercooling and four-valve heads and stuff...

Alright, I´m off. wish me luck! Hopefully i´ll be able to post the first part of my RR Friday evening.

mhpr262 screwed with this post 07-20-2009 at 06:56 AM
Old 08-29-2008, 07:30 AM   #11
mhpr262 OP

I have made it safely back again(although there have beem some pucker moments). I´busy going through my photos right now, I must have taken around 250, and a couple of videos to boot.

This trip has been an absolute blast, with perfect weather and even better roads. The first pics willl soon be up...

mhpr262 screwed with this post 08-29-2008 at 08:26 AM
Old 08-29-2008, 08:03 AM   #12
Mountain_Mike
BachEnthusiast

Oddometer: 107
Good to hear you're back safe and sound, and look forward to the pics. We got back last night after 900kms in a day and a half, taking a slightly different route than planned (via the Lukmanier pass to Ascona and the Simplon pass to get home yesterday). I took very few photos, but will post something up in another thread over the weekend.

Cheers,

Michael B.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:19 AM   #13
mhpr262 OP

this is the biggest landmark you see when you enter Munich from the north:

The hill you see behind the trees is artificial. It consists entirely of the rubble of buildings that were bombed and destroyed in WW II. A couple of years ago that wind turbine was placed on it.

A few minutes later I stopped for the first time - at the BMW Motorrad center. Plenty of eyecandy to be found there...

These have been available for a couple of months now...the new F 650 GS is currently on position seven or so of the German top ten motorcycle sales list. Top position is and has been occupied for years now by the R 1200 GS. Twice as many 1200GS are sold than of the bike in second position (Honda CBF 1000)

her is a little video (well, more like a video attempt, actually, sorry about the wobbling) of the used bike department in the basement of the center:

Old 08-29-2008, 09:44 AM   #14
mhpr262 OP

I rode through Munich without too much of a hassle, the early morning rush hour had already passed. I took the Autobahn south and exited to my first destination, Kochel am See. The first foothills of the Alps are already fairly close there. This picture gives a good impression of what the whole area looks like:

A lot of these picture book houses can be found in the area. The owners take great pride in the traditional look and the elaborate flower arrangements.

A church that is also very typical of the area:

The light was quite unusual that day, very hazy. My camera also has an unfortunate tendency to overexpose in tricky light conditions. I use a NIKON L 11, and it is a POS. I had been hoping that for around 230$ the camera would make up for my insufficient (read: nonexistent) skills as a photographer, but I was wrong...as will be shown by some later pictures .

Here I have arrived at the Walchensee.

The Walchensee lies just a little north of the Kochelsee and a lot lower. The difference in altitude was used to build a massive hydroelectric power plant. You can only just see the high-voltage lines running along the side of the mountain.

mhpr262 screwed with this post 08-29-2008 at 10:13 AM
Old 08-29-2008, 10:10 AM   #15
mhpr262 OP

This is the Kochelsee:

The Walchensee and the Kochelsee are also famous for the road that runs between them: the "Kesselberg" road - local bikers have turned it into a racetrack so many times and so many, often fatal, accidents have happened that the road is now closed to motorcycles on weekends and public holidays

some time ago there was a thread in "the perfect line" forum titled "too much lean angle?", with a video of a biker doing a high speed wipeout. That was the very road.

By then I was pretty hungry, so I rode to a litlle restaurant I had eaten well in on previous visits. I wasn´t disappointed this time either.

Fried Leberkäs´ with Spiegelei and Bratkartoffeln, hmmmmm!

I rode on through Mittenwald and Leutasch to Telfs, the last two already being in Austria. No border checks, no different currency, thanks to the EC.
Here I arrive at Telfs:

A rather impressive tree lined road took me into the town:

The road that brought me to the mouth of the Ötztal was not very exciting. I wonder, however, what that huge building with the two towers is.