Oddometer: 3,060

mhpr262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:31 AM   #32
idea man
Plate Spinner

Oddometer: 2,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhpr262
You know that I didn´t come anywhere near Switzerland on my route?
You're right of course.
I live 6000 miles from there. You were relatively pretty close. I haven't been there since '87 (Switzerland, Austria or Deutchland.) The pictures reminded me of a little place in Swiss Alps called Wolfenshiessen. Once I saw some of the photos my reading comprehension went out the window. A tribute to your pictures.
Thanks again.
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]
idea man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:38 PM   #33
mhpr262 OP
Summer is coming

Alright, I thought so. The mountains and the architecture are actually pretty similar all over the Alps, no matter what country you travel in.

Thanks for the compliments on the photos. I have just realized the ones I uploaded and hotlinked look much better than the 3 megapixel originals, which always seemd a little blurry in some areas, probably due to an inferior quality lens. The "shrinking" seems to have done them good, they look much crisper and sharper now.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:33 PM   #34
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,158
I stayed at this zimmer frei on the north end of Zell am See, was 25 euro in mid May.

They let me park the bike inside.
Jim
on2wheels52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:10 AM   #35
CETME
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
You're right about that little bike, it really does have some character. My brother had the same thing and rode it around town mercilessly.

The scenery is gorgeous. I can't believe how pretty it is when you're not on the autobahn, I sort of wish I would have stayed in Germany longer this past summer....

One criticism.... where are the pictures of you?
CETME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:00 AM   #36
mhpr262 OP
Summer is coming

I dind´t take any pictures of myself. After all, I could never hope to compete with the handsomeness of some people in this forum!
Old 09-01-2008, 06:18 AM   #37
mhpr262 OP
Summer is coming

So on Friday morning I´m off, on my way to the Großglockner, one of the most famous and - allegedly - most scenic passes in the Alps. I had heard a lot about that road, but had never ridden it before, so this was a first for me.

I was on the road very early, a good decision as it turned out later.

The hazy air made for some interesting light effects.

Even the road leading up to the toll station is a hoot. I paid 18€ for a day ticket, that is about a tankful and 350km on my bike, quite a stiff price. I had decided on riding the pass, however, so there was no turning back. People who want to do the pass road after 6 pm have to pay only 12€.

Here I´m about halfway up the road, a little lower than the place I shot the video from.

Vroooooom, vroooooooooooooommmm, vrooooooooooommmm........

Eye to eye with the great cottonballs.

The road keeps going higher and higher...

Old 09-01-2008, 06:30 AM   #38
mhpr262 OP
Summer is coming

Here I´m at the top of the first pass (the Großglockner road is actually a series of passes), looking back to where I came from.

I wonder what´s around the corner...

But first I do a little detour from this spot, up a series of steep hairpins paved with cobblestones, to reach the peak of the "Edelweißspitze", a mountaintop just a few hundred meters from the pass road. The eerie lighting in the next two pictures is caused by a thick cloud that is literally hanging just a few meters above my head, covering the mountaintop like a blanket.

Just a few hairpins down, the light returns to normal again.

This is probably my most favourite photograph of the whole trip. The chasm is even wider than the photo makes it appear.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:38 AM   #39
Andres A
FINDING NEMO

Oddometer: 242
Thanks for share, nice sign and awesome pic's and places, lovely EUROPE.

Best regards from MEXICO

Andres A.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:48 AM   #40
Saeed
Life-long learner

Oddometer: 284
Very beautiful place, thx for report!

2006 Honda CRF 250X " Sold "
2007 Sportster 883 " sold"
2008 yamaha FZ6
Saeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:03 AM   #41
Extreme Velcro
Vegan Junk Food Addict

Oddometer: 8,072
My my my my my my.......
Old 09-01-2008, 11:51 AM   #42
mhpr262 OP
Summer is coming

I continue on my way...

You can see the couple I photographed in the picture above in this picture too. The sand-dune like ripples have been trodden into the soil of the mountainside by generations and generations of cows. People have been using this area for pastures long before Columbus was born.

This one was taken a fair distance along the way, looking back at the Edelweißspitze - the rounded hill above and to the right of the center of the picture, outlined against the sky. The tunnels (one of them can just barely be seen here) are spooky, completely without lighting. I was wearing my sunglasses, the only thing I could see in the tunnel was the exit a hundred meters away.

I couldn´t decide which of the following photos was better (or worse ) so I posted them both. The one with the rail in the foreground gives a better sense of the dimensions and the distance, the one without the rail looks better.

The next photo was taken in exactly the same spot and shows what the area looks like where the other two photos are cut off on the left hand side.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:12 PM   #43
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,260
Stunning. As a vertigo sufferer, I'm suffering, but hanging in here.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:15 PM   #44
mhpr262 OP
Summer is coming

After some time there comes a little roundabout at which you have to decide whether you want to follow the Großglockner road down into the valley or take a little detour to the Franz-Josefs-Höhe, a scenic viewpoint with an excellent view of a glacier.

Needless to say, I took the time to ride the detour up to the glacier. It was worth it....

At the foot of the glacier is this little lake, where the meltwater deposits all the finely ground dust and sand that was shaved of the living rocks of the mountains by the force of the glacier.

A dammed up lake, a little further down the glacier valley. The sign a piece of which can be seen on the left hand side of the picture says "Murmeltiere" - marmots, with an arrow pointing down the slope.

Being an obedient and disciplined German, I promptly turned my eyes in the direction of the arrow. The marmots, being obedient and disciplined employees of the Austrian tourism industry, were exactly were they were supposed to be.

Three more:

Old 09-01-2008, 12:23 PM   #45
mhpr262 OP
Summer is coming

A photograph of the "detour" road leading back to the roundabout (calling a road like that a detour actually seems a bit sacrilegious!)

This one with less tele and without the guardrail:

Some vehicles could be found in the parking lot that one would not have necessarily expected there:

The letter RT on the numberplate of the little Monkey mean he came from Reutlingen - a good deal further away from the Großglockner than Erding!