Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2008, 08:30 PM   #16
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,441
The ride report is looking great so far! I'm glad you had a good time on this route, it kind of shows a good cross section of the different areas of the state.

I'm hoping to add some more info to the webpage soon. I talked a bit with Cannonshot last weekend ( He is the GPS guru behind this route ) and I told him that there were alot of people that had different GPS units and issues using Garmmin files, so he made up a mapset that I can email too.

Can't wait to see the rest of the pics!!
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:57 AM   #17
rcniss
Not that way!!

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym
The ride report is looking great so far! I'm glad you had a good time on this route, it kind of shows a good cross section of the different areas of the state.

I'm hoping to add some more info to the webpage soon. I talked a bit with Cannonshot last weekend ( He is the GPS guru behind this route ) and I told him that there were alot of people that had different GPS units and issues using Garmmin files, so he made up a mapset that I can email too.

Can't wait to see the rest of the pics!!
Mapset AND a gps. . . . .now that's the way to go

My TWAT launch date set for September 19th. Hope we have some fall color in da nort woods by then.
rcniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:18 AM   #18
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcniss
My TWAT launch date set for September 19th. Hope we have some fall color in da nort woods by then.
There was a slight bit of color up nort already.

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:01 AM   #19
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayhawkfan
There was a slight bit of color up nort already.
redheads along the twat?

freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:49 PM   #20
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Day 2 on the TWAT

In the morning we started at the Orange Moose in Black River Falls, WI

hit the sand trails soon thereafter. The experience of riding sand yesterday sure helped today.

After a short time the trails became mostly solid. We were able to pick op the pace a little. This part of the ride was some of the most enjoyable. The route was solid with lots of twist, turns and elevation changes.

Taking a moment to enjoy the area.

It is hard not to have fun on this part of the TWAT.

The scenery was wonderful where ever you looked.

Not far from the Yellow River,

I was coming around a curve and there was a dead porcupine on my line. I swerved to the outside hoping to miss it. I nicked it and it popped like a ketchup bottle being squished by a Hummer, blowing porcupine poo everywhere! That included all over my leg, bike and hard bags. It caused puke waves because of the stench! Now, I don’t have a weak stomach, I have been around stink all my life. I worked on a ranch and was around all types of excrement that never bothered me. I have been around dead rotting animals, not a problem. I have gutted 1000’s of animals, nothing. Once I changed my daughter’s diaper, which was bad but still no puke waves. Porcupine poo was the worst thing I have ever smelled and then it started cooking on my exhaust it got even worse. I damn near lost it. At 40 MPH I could still smell it and poor Pete rode through the smell for the rest of the day.

A while later we stopped for lunch at in Hawkens at the Rusty Nail.

We were not too warmly welcomed but that could be because of the stink that entered the bar with me. They bartender slid the food to us from the end of the bar. I may have single handedly killed the welcome of all future dual sport riders at this establishment.

Later in the day the trail started getting sandy again. It was worse than yesterday but we handled it better than we did the day before. I made a wrong turn that put us on an abandoned RR bed.

The RR bed was a joy to ride. It ended abruptly at a river crossing-no bridge.

We stopped at the Plywood Bar. I have been to some unique places before in this country as well as other countries. I have never been in a place quite like this before. The bar had no windows just gaps between the plywood. The floor is dirt or cement covered by dirt. The counter behind the bar had the cheapest of all bottled liquors along with the necessary oil cans (opened of every weight), grease covered tools, worn fan belts, used radiator fluid, old news papers and magazines, etc. etc.

Note the sky light. It adds a special ambiance to the place.

I walked in being a little self-conscious about the horrid porcupine poo smell. I felt right at home when a man with a dread lock, not dread locks, a DREAD LOCK sat down in the stool next and overpowered the poo. I needed to move.

If in the area you need stop by for a drink......BTW, ask for the clean glass.

Can you tell Pete ate dirt all day?

We rode into Ashland for dinner along a will maintained trail. By the looks we were getting it might have been a hiking-biking trail. I’m from Missouri, how was I to know? We had dinner at the Deep Water Grill and South Shore Brewery http://www.southshorebrewery.com/, a brew pub. The food was wonderful the beer fantastic. I really enjoyd the IPA. After dinner we purchase a growler of IPA and brought it back to where we were staying.

The TWAT is much better then either of us expected we are both looking forward to tomorrows ride and finish.

I had to leave my riding pants outside with my bike.

ajayhawkfan screwed with this post 08-27-2008 at 09:00 PM
Old 08-27-2008, 11:02 PM   #21
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Along the TWAT I noticed this sign a number of times

What does that sign mean? It look like it could be a motorcycle or a 4 wheeler. The sign did not stop us but I was never sure if we were legal.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:25 AM   #22
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayhawkfan
Along the TWAT I noticed this sign a number of times

What does that sign mean? It look like it could be a motorcycle or a 4 wheeler. The sign did not stop us but I was never sure if we were legal.
That sign is causing alot of confusion for people riding this trail. I think its on the Clark county atv trail near Rock Dam, I need to find it to be sure though. It is legal to ride a plated motorcycle on these trails, I'm sure they kept a bike off the sign due to the difficulty in showing the difference between a dual sport and a dirtbike.

of course, its possible that I'm so used to riding in the area that I don't notice the signs!
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:04 AM   #23
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

Oddometer: 3,388

Save $5 on Smugmug by entering coupon code: GJBcMk1uLoZm6
KCDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #24
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Day 3

Day 3 was the toughest. It was almost all deep sand along the forest roads.

The challenge also made it the most fun and rewarding for me. I’m not sure Pete would agree with that.

The sand was a constant challenge. Should I speed up or slow down? Speeding up was the right answer most of the time but my bike would wobble and drift, my mind would say “slow down and get control”. Overcoming the thought to slow down to gain control was difficult. With speed came control.

This might look like a solid road but it is all sand

and I have a kung fu grip on my bars.

Bear running season was on. There were trucks full of hunters and dogs chasing bears. It was fun to see. I’m not sure the hunters were that happy to see us.

The hunters put a dog on the hood to pick up the scent of the bear. When he starts baying he picked up bear scent.

We are getting close to the end of our journey.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:00 PM   #25
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Day 3 Continued

Two and a half days and 560 miles we come to the end of the TWAT!! I’m not sure if I pounded the TWAT or if the TWAT pounded me but it was an incredible ride. I am sorry to see it come to an end.

The view was limited at the end of the road because weeds and brush had grown up and we could not see much of Lake Superior so we took the trail to a large ledge about 10 feet above water's edge. The view is spectacular.

The water is crystal clear.

Those rocks are over 20 feet deep.

Yep, he is doing what you think he is. Now EPA will have to clean the entire lake. Thanks Pete.

After enjoying the scenery and taking a breather we headed to Bayfield for lunch and a beer. All we could talk about over lunch was the highlights of the route and that we will do another ride next year. I told him about the Great River Gravel Ride and he was interested.

After lunch we headed to Duluth for the night. It looked like we were going to get wet.

We were lucky; we got hit by a few rain drops but nothing more. Hit town and went right to the motorcycle mecca.

I picked up an AirHawk seat cushion. It was expensive but WOW, it made my comfortable seat even more comfortable. ( If you have never tried one here is a product review,
http://www.ibmwr.org/prodreview/airhawk.html )

Next we checked into the motel. We booked it because of its location-across the street from Fitger’s Brewhouse (
http://www.brewhouse.net/2005/). One stop shopping for everything we will need for the rest of the night, food and beer and cute barmaids. The motel was reasonably priced for a summer weekend in Duluth but a little dated. Pete put it best, “My room looks like a crime scene from the Mod Squad without the chalk outline.”

After cleaning up it was 5:00 somewhere so off to Fitger’s to sample the different beers and ogle the barmaids. The cask conditioned ale was my favorite. Pete never had a cask beer before and enjoyed it as well. After a few hours of ogling we ordered dinner. After dinner we walked to Grandma’s for a few more beers and watch the huge ships come and go from the harbor. Watching ships come and go is the number one past time in Duluth. I can understand why. The size of the ships and the country of origin are fascinating to see. From the deck at Grandma’s is a great place to watch, plus Grandma’s has a nice ale brewed specially for them.

It is getting late and we head back to our motel rooms. I think a night cap is in order. Pete agrees, I run to Fitger’s and purchase a growler of the case conditioned ale. Pete goes to his room for a few glassed and me meet on patio on the roof of the motel and drink our ale and watch more boats come and go in the moonlight, a wonderful way to end a fantastic adventure!

I have to leave my riding pants outside.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:23 PM   #26
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,794
Great story, great ending.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:03 PM   #27
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 19,237
What a great trip! Looks like you guys had a wonderful time and got to enjoy some great scenery as you traveled across the state!

(Also, thanks for the feedback on the GPS. Always nice to get confirmation that it is working well.)
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:50 PM   #28
2whelman
addict

Oddometer: 645
great report

Nice report, loved the pictures.

Now I have another trip to plan for.

I'll watch out for the bloated P.P.'s too
2whelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:58 PM   #29
KansasKawboy
KK

Oddometer: 817
Great report, ride, and pictures.

Nice to meet you at the BBQ the other night.
KansasKawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:15 AM   #30
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasKawboy
Nice to meet you at the BBQ the other night.
I enjoyed meeting you as well. I'm sure well run into each other soon.