User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2005, 08:29 AM   #1
BobFever OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Dual sport tires for a BMW R100R

I'm pondering the idea of making my R100R a little more worthy for the bad roads we have out here in the country. I know that its easy to find nice dual sport sizes for the rear, but the sizes that fit the front talk about being rear applications. Has anyone put D/S on this? 110/80-18 for the front..
Any ideas appreciated...

thanks
BobFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 08:42 AM   #2
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,308
I think finding a 18" front is gonna be a problem. I've used Avon Distanzas on both my wife's R80ST and my R100GS, but there's no 18" available.
Look around here; SWmoto.
They might have something that catches your fancy.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
myles.blackwood
virtualmyles

Oddometer: 18
So, there are 2 different tires (maybe more, but i kinda stick to more reputable companies when my life is on the line) that you might be interested in.

One is the Michelin Sirac. They make a 100/90-18 for the front, and the rear is a 130/80-17. both of these are a wee bit more narrow than the original metzeler sizes.... (They look like the Tourance tires, kinda)

The other tires is made by Bridgestone and it's the TW (TrailWing) series. They come in these two sizes: 130/80-18 front and.... damned. I can't find the page that I wrote the rest of the info down on... but, you get the idea.

Now, the bridgestone tire is most likely going to be a little bit too wide. I haven't tried it yet on my '93 R100R, and I'm most likely going to lean towards having a slightly more narrow tire on said bike.

Apparently, there's also a few other makers out there that will do the same tire size thing as well.... Avon, Sumsung, Sony, Hitachi.... err.... uh.... yeah.

I hope this helps!

M
myles.blackwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:43 PM   #4
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by myles.blackwood
So, there are 2 different tires (maybe more, but i kinda stick to more reputable companies when my life is on the line) that you might be interested in.

One is the Michelin Sirac. They make a 100/90-18 for the front, and the rear is a 130/80-17. both of these are a wee bit more narrow than the original metzeler sizes.... (They look like the Tourance tires, kinda)

The other tires is made by Bridgestone and it's the TW (TrailWing) series. They come in these two sizes: 130/80-18 front and.... damned. I can't find the page that I wrote the rest of the info down on... but, you get the idea.

Now, the bridgestone tire is most likely going to be a little bit too wide. I haven't tried it yet on my '93 R100R, and I'm most likely going to lean towards having a slightly more narrow tire on said bike.

Apparently, there's also a few other makers out there that will do the same tire size thing as well.... Avon, Sumsung, Sony, Hitachi.... err.... uh.... yeah.

I hope this helps!

M
keep me posted on what you find, post pics and reviews. I want to do the same on my 92 R100R

dc
Country Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:14 PM   #5
Tempo
Stumptown Native

Oddometer: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by norton73
I think finding a 18" front is gonna be a problem.
It is. My F650ST has an 18". I know that some people run rear TKC-80 tires backwards up front. I've never done it. YMMV.
Tempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:20 AM   #6
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,319
I have Mitas E08 s on my R100 GS and they suit my bike and my riding real well . Mitas do a 4.10/18 which is probably close in size to what you have now.

I have Mecadams on my R75/7 and they are OK on dry gravel roads - Tourances and the like only claim to be a 90/10 road /dirt tire so you dont need a lot of of dirt ability to be close.

However , in the driest state in the driest continent I dont do a lot of miles on wet/ muddy tracks , and if that is the plan you will want knobbies of some sort - you will probably find a [Observed] trials tyre which will fit and they have really grippy rubber too.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:13 AM   #7
Joerg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,356
Heidenau K60

Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFever
I'm pondering the idea of making my R100R a little more worthy for the bad roads we have out here in the country. I know that its easy to find nice dual sport sizes for the rear, but the sizes that fit the front talk about being rear applications. Has anyone put D/S on this? 110/80-18 for the front..

The picture shows the Heidenau K60 on a friend's R100R. The one on the front wheel is actually a rear tire that is mounted "the other way round" ... and the whole thing is approved by the manufacturer.

--
1990 BMW R80GS and K100LT * Lausanne, Switzerland
My Motorcycle WebPages - LED voltage monitor (aka charge light)

Joerg screwed with this post 05-29-2008 at 11:56 PM
Joerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:37 AM   #8
elmoreman
takin' a break, boss

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
No personal experience here, but I often hear these called "Death-wings." You might want to look into that before going for them.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:11 AM   #9
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,937
Quote:

I hope this helps!

M

Michelin hasn't prduced the Sirac for some time, so any that you find are likely to be near their "use by" date.
Considering the weight of your R100, you might want to think about a MEFO Explorer (if you can find one) rear that is mounted backwards. They're reputed to be of a hard compound that might stand up to the extra load.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:14 AM   #10
myles.blackwood
virtualmyles

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoreman
No personal experience here, but I often hear these called "Death-wings." You might want to look into that before going for them.

hey- thanks for the input on the TW tires. that's a good consideration to keep in mind!
Old 02-14-2008, 09:18 AM   #11
myles.blackwood
virtualmyles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joerg
Hi

The picture shows the Heidenau K60 on a friend's R100R. The one on the front wheel is actually a rear tire that is mounted "the other way round" ... and the whole thing is approved by the manufacturer.
Hey Thanks Joerg!

Any idea what the fairing is on your friend's bike? he's essentially got the "exact" look that I'm after!

I've even gone as far a putting some lights mounted on the front protection bars just to get a wee bit more light while driving at night:

Old 02-26-2008, 06:33 AM   #12
Joerg
Beastly Adventurer

Hi,
Quote:
Any idea what the fairing is on your friend's bike? he's essentially got the "exact" look that I'm after!
... it took him some time to answer, but here we are: The fairing is a "P&W" ... which is not manufactured any longer.

As mentioned, the tires are Heidenau K60, in the original sizes but with other load- and speed index, legalised with a "Freigabe" from Heidenau

--
Old 02-28-2008, 09:13 AM   #13
charliemik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
You sure that's an 18 front on that bike? I'm pretty sure my R100RS has a 19 in. front. There are TKC80s available in a 110/80 19. I had a friend who ran TKCs on his R90/6 along with GS bars for the extra leverage/control. He'd take that thing amazing places.

'81 R80G/S-SOLD (sad but I think the new owner is a really happy guy)
'81 R100RS
'96 R1100GS
'83 VW Westfalia (my 4 wheeled adventuremobile)
charliemik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:41 AM   #14
Joerg
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemik
You sure that's an 18 front on that bike? I'm pretty sure my R100RS has a 19 in. front.
This is correct, since yours is a 1981 model

The later, "revived" RS (monolever) have 18" front.

And the R100R has 18" front, 17" rear.

--
Old 02-28-2008, 10:59 AM   #15
bpw
r65 PD

Oddometer: 213
I had very good luck with chen shing c858's on my r65. They dont list an 18 inch front tire but the front and rear tires are identical so I bought the appropriatly sized rear tire. They only last about 3000 miles but at $70 a pair shipped its not a big deal.
bpw is offline   Reply With Quote