User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
garet55947 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Any running 1977 Yamaha XT500's Out There

Looking at acquiring a '77 XT500. Anyone that has one running and being used would appreciate your comments. Particularly on how you use them, are they easy to keep running, can you run them hard, maintenance issues. Thanks.
garet55947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by garet55947
Looking at acquiring a '77 XT500. Anyone that has one running and being used would appreciate your comments. Particularly on how you use them, are they easy to keep running, can you run them hard, maintenance issues. Thanks.
You may want to move this to the Thumpers thread, but in anser to your questions, the XT500 is/was a venerable machine that was bullet proof, with tones of torque. Easy to keep running as long as they are reasonably maintained - however, you are getting into an age thing with cracking rubber, old cables, etc.

Parts are readily available through Thumper Stuff and e-bay, so no problem there.

Compared to today's bikes the XT500 is pretty basic, but it is pretty, sounds great, and will run forever!

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:08 PM   #3
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Great bike, but pay attention to how the starting drill/sighting glass on the head work. You can get violent kickback, and or kick start lever stoppage on one if you do the drill wrong. Basically get the indicator into the small sight glass at TDC, press the KSL till it gets slightly past TDC, or is that BDC....anywho, then kick all the way thru with no application of ANY throttle, it should start and run great if maintained. Now onto the bike, it is a great bike, great very reliable motor, and can be made fast easily. Stock the were weasy unless you put on a pipe and jetted them correctly. Otherwise a very neat good running machine. I like the TT XT and SR500's. All are great very fun to ride bikes. The SR was especially pretty.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:15 PM   #4
planeoldguy
Old and Slow

Oddometer: 60
I've had an XT and an SR, both were a lot of fun, the XT would wheelie forever, back in '86 i put an 18" front wheel on it, it was a blast on Mulholland, I smoked many a sport bike with it, I cleaned the ports up myself and added a540 piston and a powroll cam, it would wheelie on the freeway without using the clutch!
planeoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:20 PM   #5
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by planeoldguy
I've had an XT and an SR, both were a lot of fun, the XT would wheelie forever, back in '86 i put an 18" front wheel on it, it was a blast on Mulholland, I smoked many a sport bike with it, I cleaned the ports up myself and added a540 piston and a powroll cam, it would wheelie on the freeway without using the clutch!
Oh yeah! But why were the SRs so friggin slow? I guess it was because they were what, about 60 lbs more then the XT or 80 more than the TT?
Old 08-13-2007, 03:52 PM   #6
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
Oh yeah! But why were the SRs so friggin slow? I guess it was because they were what, about 60 lbs more then the XT or 80 more than the TT?
Yeah, more weight up front and usually were geared higher. The cast wheels alone were heavier than a small cow!

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:49 PM   #7
Cornbread Red
Fart's dust

Oddometer: 1,529
Look on Phoenix/Tucson Craigslist. In any given month I see at least one on there for sale.

Good bike. Solid and tough.

Chip
Old 08-13-2007, 05:50 PM   #8
grimmboy
Chris Grimm

Oddometer: 867
You mean like this "77 XT500 with a CR250 front end, Ohlins custom built 16.5 rear shocks, all new controls cables, switches, leather seat, 3.5 gal CLarke tank, ICO dash, MZ-B 12v ignition conversion full 150w stator, Woody's Wheels, Baja Designs headlight and all done in IT blue. No one could want a bike like this........

grimmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:07 AM   #9
Old fart
Keen AG100 rider

Oddometer: 650
Good old machine. Very low compared to modern stuff, makes them good road bikes. Their good in the bush as well, a lot more capable than GS1200's and other HUGE so called dual sports. You can buy most stuff for them, plenty of spares still available. The poms have a website http://www.yamaha-xt500.co.uk/, has a lot of information.

Don't worry about the starting, once you get the hang they start first kick. Timing and tune is easy with points, tappets are OK to get at. Not hugely powerful but adequate for one up and heaps of gear. A very sweet handling, nice bike to ride.

Don't believe people who said they've wheelied one forever , to start with they'd be still wheeling so they couldn't write this. The oil pumps out the breather at the back of the engine and vents into the aircleaner, richening the mixture with oil. This makes the bike lose power and stop wheelstanding. Don't worry though, it takes just on a one K wheelie to do it. Unless you spend all your time wheelieing then it's not a problem, I always thought a shot of upper cylinder lube doesn't hurt now and again.
Old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:11 AM   #10
garet55947 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Grimmboy, that XT of yours is set up just awesome. Looks like it would be a great desert sled out here in the hot AZ. Thanks for all your input! Now, about price? What is a fair price for a pristine bike which actually looks like a showroom example. Thanks again. By the way, lots more replies here than in the thumper room.
garet55947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:53 AM   #11
grimmboy
Chris Grimm

Oddometer: 867
Not sure about price for a pristine one I paid $500.00 for the bike that ran and rode fine. Then I spent a boat load of money to build this bike for the 2008 Heroes Legend then the rules changed and allow my KTM.
grimmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:30 AM   #12
Caddy82rats
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,134
I've had 4 XT and one SR great bikes, especially the XT, i've had a rallye one (build for atlas rallye), a road one, TDR 250 front and rear end, swing arm shortened etc etc 600cc white bross parts

starting was never been a problem

for me starting issue on those bikes are urban legend !
Caddy82rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:44 PM   #13
Hennepinboy
Have battery will travel.

Oddometer: 443
I ride a 85 TT600N that is plated for street use, but running more then a couple of mile on pavement between trails sucks. Is that close enought to a XT500.
Hennepinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:29 PM   #14
Old fart
Keen AG100 rider

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennepinboy
I ride a 85 TT600N that is plated for street use, but running more then a couple of mile on pavement between trails sucks. Is that close enought to a XT500.

That's like saying My FJ Holden is red so it's as good as a Ferrari.

The XT 500 is a lot better road bike than a TT600.
Old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:06 AM   #15
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fart
That's like saying My FJ Holden is red so it's as good as a Ferrari.

The XT 500 is a lot better road bike than a TT600.
The TT600s had a lot of problems, worst one was when they thru a chain there went the motor, and the frames broke easily if ridden hard at all. Plus, the motor was torque less over about 9 rpm, but it vibrated like you were riding a trident with a missing outboard piston.