User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2008, 11:36 AM   #1
DeeGee OP
I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer: 1,847
Viva La France

Another trip th missus and I did last week, we crossed the Channel from England and did a whistle stop tour of the Normandy beaches, and a few memorials.

Right folks here we go!
Bike ready to roll

We got down to Folkestone a bit later than we had expected due to a minor detour through London Town :
I was getting a bit giddy with my right wrist :bounce: and ............ Erm.............. :arrow: Well we(I) were going a bit too fast and I missed the turning So after a few choice words we ended up riding past the millenium dome and ended up going through Blackwall tunnel
Anyway we managed to get to our hotel in one piece!
We were sat having a beer and this woman came in carrying loads of luggage which she had to put all her bags onto a poor trolley and wheel it all of 5 yards to the reception desk

Up the next day and after breakfast we were off on the tunnel, managed to do it without getting lost
We got there and there was a bit of a queue

On the train

Half an hour later we were on French soil!
A couple of bizarre bridges and a few snaps of us on the road

My best Darth Vader impression

And many roads were just very, very very long and not a lot of traffic on them

We stopped here for some food and something to drink

But they'd stopped serving food! So we had a coffee each and carried on hungary
Now I'm not one for Micky Dee's, but on this trip they were a Godsend!

We trammed on and it wasn't long before we started seeing relics of the war with large concrete gun turrets built ito the hillside just a stones throw from the coast. We kept away from the toll roads and we travelled a great road running alonside the coastline. The views were beautiful.
But we stumbled across this large war cemetary and it kind of hit home what we were going over to France for. This was at Etaples and the graves were primarily from the 1st world war, but there were soldiers burried here from the 2nd world war, some total of almost 12000 bodies.

Another stop off and we reached our hotel. That's all for today. I'll post some more tomorrow :
DeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
Wout67
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139
Thanks for posting all the pics. I'd love to get to France & ride some day.

www.iamsecond.com
Wout67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:29 PM   #3
zadok
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
Nice.

http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbu...4275.html?sl=z
zadok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,320
Vive la différence!!

Great start..... keep it coming please

Old 08-28-2008, 01:03 AM   #5
DeeGee OP

A few more snaps of the cemetary at Etaples.

Back on the road with a few thoughts asking myself if I was actually ready for all this? It's only recently that I've shown any real interest in the goings on in the 2nd world war and what the soldiers actually did for not only our country, but probably the rest of europe. But hey ho I'm no preacher by a long shot and I just figured that it was about time I paid my respects to the fallen soldiers.

Once we got to the hotel we did all the checking in and things and we went for a walk and a beer. Sadly on our way back the restaurant was closed so we had to make do with this

Next day after croissants, cheese, fruit, coffee and cake We went to find Pegasus Bridge.

This is the original sign

This is the one we crossed as the original that was at the centre of one of the first conflicts of the 2nd world war has been erected in a nearby museum.

And this is the original one (complete with bullet holes in the metal!) in the grounds of the museum.

This is a replica of one of the original gliders that were involved in the transporation of the troops to the bridge. They were only made of wood!

And inside

This is a memorial to the soldiers in the exact spot where each of the three gliders landed. The closest was only 47 yards away from the bridge!

This is the first building that was liberated by the allies in the war. The lady that runs the cafe is the daughter of the gent that owned it during the war.

Back on the road we next visited the Merville Battery, again the original concrete bunkers were there to walk through.

I couldn't resist one of these though!

And it wasn't all doom and gloom, we did manage to have a bit of a laff and keep it a bit light hearted

A bomb, not sure which kind but it was a big bugger, Jack's stood at the side to give you an idea

Onwards and we did a quick tour of a radar museum

And then it was on the road again, this time we visited Most of the beaches Sword, Juno and Gold.

These were taken overlooking Juno Beach, This mainly involved the Canadian Troops.

And I managed a quick spurt on my own

Then we moved along the coast to a town called Arromanche, overlooking Gold Beach, this was the job for the British troops. It looked so peaceful now it really was difficult to try to imagine what actaully happened on these shores only 60 odd years ago.

The large objects in the sea are the remains of Mulberry harbour, this was an artificial concrete harbour which was "floated" over the channel then pieced together to make a working harbour to offload equipment from the large boats.

A memeorial overlooking the harbour and sea.

We stummbled upon this place en-route to our next stop. This was the batteries at Longues-sur-Mer menacingly overlooking the beach and sea.

And it was here we had our first tiff!

As you can see

I think the heat had got to us both

Back on the bike after a truce and an Ice cream

Next one along the coast was probably the most infamous of all due to the opening scene in the film Saving Private Ryan. Omaha. Again very peaceful and kind of eary at the same time, there was definately an aura about this place. We sat for a while again just trying to imagine the carnage that once was.

The memorial at the beach

More tomorrow folks!

Old 08-28-2008, 02:49 AM   #6
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,130

Enjoying your first RR, DeeGee. Keep it coming'.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:01 AM   #7
aurel
Cheese&Wine!

Oddometer: 3,687
Vive la France !

Thanks to all the guys from USA who crossed half of the world on boats to give their life for Europe and save our ass... Even if relations between US and France are not at the best we don't forget their ultimate sacrifice.

World Tour finished! http://www.the-great-adventure.fr
aurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:13 AM   #8
Extreme Velcro
Vegan Junk Food Addict

Oddometer: 8,072
I can't help but think of all the blood that was spilt on those beaches - its the most horrific thought. Again, what did those guys think while lying there...

My Dad was on the other side of the world in Russia (German) and had the scars to prove it. It all seems so sad that so many had to die because of power mad fools. Mankind will never learn !

Anyhow, hopefully more pics evocative of our history - pity those whose land all these battles are fought on as well and yet of course, it ends up being fascinating for those of us who follow in the footsteps of the dead.

Especially Europe - a long and bloody history....

Whoops, sorry, went off on a bit of a philosophical path there - please more pics and thanks for the RR so far. Super interesting !
Old 08-28-2008, 04:47 AM   #9
Le Dahu
Katse rider

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee
"Allons enfants de la Patrie..."

Great shot, Thanks!
Le Dahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:13 PM   #10
DeeGee OP

After Omaha beach we headed for the American Cemetary at Collville St Laurent. We got there just before 6pm and they were just closing

We headed back to the hotel and since it was my birthday that day we decided to head off into town for a slap up meal and a few beers!

I felt robbed after the taxi fare cost us 30€ for a five minute taxi ride into town!

Anyway we found a nice restaurant and ate!

Now look at this!!

I was testing my tastebuds and I decided to have Moules Mariniere for starters.

After I ate a good few I wondered what the "crunch" was and I decided to investigate a little further............

I found this!!!

Look closely and you can see a tiny crab. I looked in almost all the mussels I ate and they all had a tiny crab in each one
Here's another

Anyway I ate up and we both enjoyed the rest of our meal

Cheers!

Next day after our usual brekky

We headed off for The cemetarys'

First up was the British One in Bayeaux A total of 4868 soldiers are buried here.

This is the memorial at the roadside

And I hope that this works ok, it should be a 360 degree video of the cemetary. Fingers crossed!

When I was a few years younger I sometimes did wonder why we went to all the trouble of the rememberance Sunday with the poppys and the church service and wondered why we couldn't get on as it was all in the past. (Obviously my views have changed now!) I read this plaque at the memorial in the cemetary and this hit the spot.

A couple more shots of us at the gates

A few pictures from inside the museum

Back on the road with a few more quiet thoughts. Then I couldn't miss the opportunity.

Then we visited the American Cemetary in Colleville St Laurent here there is a staggering 9386 soldiers buried here

This is the sight that greeted us

And as we walked around

And there were many of these! Read the inscription on the cross

And hopefully this is another 360 degree video.

More tomorrow folks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2Y5EwpUPHI

DeeGee screwed with this post 08-30-2008 at 03:54 AM
Old 08-28-2008, 02:20 PM   #11
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,320
A beautiful but sad sight indeed

Old 08-28-2008, 10:52 PM   #12
Extreme Velcro
Vegan Junk Food Addict

Oddometer: 8,072
Magnifique....keep it coming !
Old 08-29-2008, 01:23 AM   #13
greengoose
boondocker

Oddometer: 3
Thanks for sharing the ride I have always wanted to go to these places
greengoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:03 AM   #14
jhuth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186

Old 08-29-2008, 07:16 AM   #15
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,426
when we were there a few weeks back i was amazed at that there was some houses/building that still had battle damage. some were abandon . but some looked like bullet holes .

good stuff .

i was torn between which way i wanted to go when i was there. i felt i did not have enough time to and see everything on that side so i choose the med side. but probably will go back next year for this side.

not to hijack but here is my thread, picture and video links.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377509

be a man dodge tree bark!

We’ve said it before, but it bears repeating; the GS handles in ways a two-story building was never meant to.

Taking collections for Faye Butler Training please spare some change.

www.kmotorwerks.com

Remember red and yellow make orange.so to think orange is better means you have to use two steps to get there.
________
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote