User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
bulldog1980 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Puke My 73 Yamaha TX750 Rebuild....

What I have 73 (74?) TX750 only parts missing (so far that I can tell )

Left Side sidecover
Left side engine (points) cover
Seat...

So I started parts hunting.. came up with all the parts I am missing
the left side sidecover was a bitch to get.. it seems that I can find the Right side in various colors and conditions but the only left side cover I was able to find during a months of searching was in the wonderful color and condition of rusted but repairable... I also picked up a Service manual for the thing off eBay.. (Which I hate having to use but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do...I am refering to eBay not the directions ) I will post the pics of the bike tomorrow night... the next few weeks my brother will be up and help me work on my house (flooded in Iowa june floods) and working on the bike

So my trial begins....while i have heard both good and bad (I quote Mike from Mikes XS The (tx750) are a grenade!) pics coming soon...
bulldog1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
Putts
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,188
Hiya n00b. Don't have a TX750, but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog1980
pics coming soon...

And, if you can pick up some beer while yer out ...
Old 08-30-2008, 08:44 AM   #3
Motomech
Adventurer in Latin Amer.

Oddometer: 337
I admire your pluck.

<<<>>>while i have heard both good and bad (I quote Mike from Mikes XS The (tx750) are a grenade!)...>>>

I've never heard anything good about that model.
By the time I started wrenching in a Yamaha dealership in 1979, they had all but disappeared. I only saw two in the 22 years I was a M.C. wrench and neither ran.
I asked the service manager when I was a Noob, what happened to them.
He simple replied, "too many chains".

'96 KTM 300EXC
Playas del Locos

"The BMW Airheads, riding yesterday's technology the day after tomorrow".
Motomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
motoretro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Time may not have been good to the 1973-4 TX750.....I test drove new one in late 1972 and thought it was pretty neat, Great looks and a sweet sound. Not sure what the mechanic issues were about but would like to see the internals of one.
Motoretro
motoretro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:28 AM   #5
The Vert
Banned

Oddometer: 1,717
270 degree almost vertical twin. With Dunstall mufflers, probably the best SOUNDING bike I ever owned.
The Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:15 AM   #6
thencamebronson
Takin' a trip?

Oddometer: 725
Go here:

http://www.benjiescaferacer.com/Yammy.html

I bought a 73 new when I was 16.
thencamebronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:23 AM   #7
bulldog1980 OP
Adventurer

Here are some crappy pics I will get better ones soon...
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2008, 12:23 AM   #8
bulldog1980 OP
Adventurer

and pic 2
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2008, 12:24 AM   #9
bulldog1980 OP
Adventurer

as you can see at first it was missing the left side engine cover, left sidecover, and seat.. The bike is in pretty damn good shape for getting for $230.00.. now once I start cleaning it up and tearing it down well see just how good of shape...

TO BE CONTINUED....
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2008, 10:32 PM   #10
stevepsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
I worked at a Honda-Yamaha dealership from 1977-1983. The only bike that we would not take in for service were TX750's. Period.

I remember the owner and service manager telling me stories about how the TX750's would blow-up motors left and right. You could not get parts because they were always being modified to fix whatever the latest problem happened to be.

Finally, Yamaha came around with a truck and dropped off new engines, free of charge, for each TX750 that the dealership had sold. They replaced the engines and advised the owners to sell the bikes, as we would no longer work on them. Ouch.

I only ever saw one in the 7 years I was there.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:12 AM   #11
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 1,982
Supposedly there's a fix for the issue of grenading engines. Look around, I have seen people here and in other places post it. I thing the culprit was in the oil scavenging system. I would love to get one of those bikes someday(among others).
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #12
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepsd
I worked at a Honda-Yamaha dealership from 1977-1983. The only bike that we would not take in for service were TX750's. Period.

I remember the owner and service manager telling me stories about how the TX750's would blow-up motors left and right. You could not get parts because they were always being modified to fix whatever the latest problem happened to be.

Finally, Yamaha came around with a truck and dropped off new engines, free of charge, for each TX750 that the dealership had sold. They replaced the engines and advised the owners to sell the bikes, as we would no longer work on them. Ouch.

I only ever saw one in the 7 years I was there.
Wow.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:15 AM   #13
bulldog1980 OP
Adventurer

Slow (snail speed) going

All the parts I have ordered are in and the bike has been cleaned up and with all the new parts and tank sitting next to it, just ready for me to start wrenching on it. Before I get started on my bike the house that was flooded in june is in the final stages of repair. Drywall went up.. blah, blah, should be able to start wrenching by say... Nov
Old 10-04-2008, 08:40 AM   #14
Putts
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,188
Good luck, mang! (Sounds like you'll need it.)

Fear not, we're right here behind you cheering you on; laughing our asses off; ready to pour you a beer; all that shit.

Here comes the beer lady now!

Old 10-04-2008, 06:47 PM   #15
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 11,033
Good Lord Man! I realized I had made a huge mistake by the time I quit re-building every part on this goofy airhead I bought off craigs list. I finished it regardless and traded it for a functional motorcycle luckily. You on the other hand have a TX 750 to work on,they were widely known as the biggest piece of crap Yamaha ever built! Ive never seen one running,only as rusted heaps in sheds. I salute you sir! quixote leanings are always of value in this modern disposable world of ours. I really hope this bike is everything you think it may or could be.................what was I saying? Oh yeah! Best of luck on this esteemable project of yours and Ive got some sweet TM400s out behind the woodpile I could sell you cheap,also some Edsel parts that could possibly be applied to your current project as they do bear a resemblance. Im subscribing to this thread for sure. Im pulling for you!(how did you arrive at 230.00 on the price anyway?)