Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2008, 02:47 PM   #31
gunner65
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Put it over in the flea market section of this forum and post some good pictures it will sell fast here if it is priced right.
gunner65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:23 AM   #32
DigitalDIY
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner65
Put it over in the flea market section of this forum and post some good pictures it will sell fast here if it is priced right.
Thanks for the tip. I'll put it over there if I can take some pics. I think the price is about as right as it can be though. Can't beat free. I'm just looking for someone to come get it and put the parts to good use.
DigitalDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #33
gunner65
Adventurer

Free is good I thought you were wanting to sell it. I am sure it wont last long for free. That is mighty kind of you to offer. I wish I lived closer.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:45 PM   #34
ADK
____

Oddometer: 7,976
I can afford free. I wish you were around here.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:01 AM   #35
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 1,982
It's free until you decide to get it running . All the same, I wish the bike was still in Illinois. I'm a sucker for "free" things.
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:45 PM   #36
bulldog1980 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
unhijack my tread

well to unhijack my thread.. the Yamaha has sat untouched in my garage so far, but I am back in the house so plan on doing some wrenching as soon as i clean out all the damn tools and have room... Have had to also do a lot of OT at work, got one guy in hospital with who knows what and another guy left the country for Ireland (lucky bastard) for two weeks.. well I was going thru the parts I have and some how I have two left side covers (not sure when I bought the first one), a seat pan (where the hell did i get that), a full seat with nothing wrong with it, left side engine/points cover and a right side points cover (where the hell did that come from). So i have all the parts and some spares and the carbs sitting on my 'workbench' (plywood and two saw horses) and that is where it has been for the last month...
bulldog1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:49 PM   #37
gunner65
Adventurer

I dont think we meant to hijack just so few people in the US interested in the TX750. I think all 5 of us that care chimed in .
Old 11-05-2008, 07:16 AM   #38
far2389
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Ditto for me - Was happy to find others who have an interest in the Yamaha (black sheep) TX750.

Note: Brought home another TX750 (plus a carload of parts from a parts bike he had) last weekend- $400. Very good shape except gas tank and carbs full of slimmy goo. Good winter project. Has a frame and engine that turns over left that he plans to take to scrap dealer (I did not have any room left or I would have taken).
far2389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:05 AM   #39
ADK
____

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mcy/899980955.html
Old 11-10-2008, 09:31 AM   #40
baniels
something

Oddometer: 3
Do you have the original swingarm? Wanna get rid of it?
baniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:01 AM   #41
ADK
____

It's not mine. Contact the guy who posted the ad.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:16 AM   #42
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 1,982
Hey look, another horribly conceived, poorly planned, unfinished chopper project.
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:25 AM   #43
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 4,941
TX500 and TX750

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus
Didn't the TX 500 and 750 come from the factory without any kind of cam chain tensioner?
Are two totally different engines. I had a TX750 back in 1978. Had 22,000 miles on it when I got it, engine sounded like a cement mixer at idle, better at speed. Totally false myth about the lack of cam chain tensioner, it's there, right in the middle behind the cylinders. The BALANCER chain had no tensioner and was later retrofitted (but many didn't make it in for the free upgrade). The electric starter drive clutch would expire early, mine worked somewhat. The oil and air filters were over engineered and STUPID money to replace them. The points would foul with oil that leaked out through the shafts seal.
I find now from research that the biggest issue was the dry sump oiling system was flawed, inasmuch as sustained high speed running would aerate the oil as it flowed over the two balance shafts, and foam is bad for the plain rod bearings. 1974 saw a deep sump added (again, retrofits were available for '73's) but it was too late. Dropped mid year from the line-up. My '73 made 63 hp and handled what I thought was great.. Conti twins and a single disc brake! I NEVER lost a game of grab-ass to ANY British twin, (American twin either, for that matter) but was obviously outclassed by the multis that were becoming common.
Back to the here and now, I've got another one I want to try and run... anyone with any parts or parts bike I'd like to hear from. TIA

concours screwed with this post 12-08-2009 at 04:40 AM
concours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:59 AM   #44
concours
WFO for 41 years

update

on my latest TX750... the carbs were the worst I'd seen, scraped and cleaned, poked and prodded, wired, polished, replaced floats (corroded THROUGH!) and regasketed until they were usable. Fuel tank was varnished bad, but little rust. Cleaned up nicely with the 1/4" square nuts and solvent, then dishwasher soap. Fuel petcocks were corroded through, cleaned, JB welded, new rubbers. Compression was hard to check, rings probably stuck. Points burned, spark on one side. I dealt with all that and changed the oil twice to fluch the nastiness out. I fired it up two weeks ago. Runs great, compression measures 170 and 175! (warm) I ran it warm and dumped the oil. Last week I ran it again (to get the StaBil worked into the carbs.) and decided, what the hell... I rode it up and down my (very rural) street a couple times. It runs strong, pulls good, clutch and trans function well. Tires, chain and sprockets and wheel bearings are in the mail, soon it will be a runner!
Old 01-20-2010, 04:12 AM   #45
concours
WFO for 41 years

Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfz1
A friend took a low mileage TX500 in trade about 25 years back.
It blew approaching 35,000 miles after running low on oil.'
Friend admitted he had no confidence in bike's longevity and neglected it shamefully. Felt bad, was enjoyable ride.
In addition to having some real design issues, they leaked/used oil. I suspect many blew for that reason.... didn't get topped up properly