ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2008, 10:40 PM   #16
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,766
Well the rctifier didn't fix it. It seems to do it more when it's hot out. Once it cooled down today it never did it. Back to the shop it goes for round two.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:22 AM   #17
bodi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog
Well the rctifier didn't fix it. It seems to do it more when it's hot out. Once it cooled down today it never did it. Back to the shop it goes for round two.
Frog -

I have a similar issue with my new 08 990 ADV (80 miles on it). I went into the shop and the mechanic found a pinched hose that is for emmisions vapor but I havent ridden enough to prove or disprove his theroy. No fault codes came up when he checked my bike so like you just guessing at the issue. The only MOD I have is heated grips added.

I am going for a long ride tomorrow so I will let you know if it fixed it.

Bodi
bodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:23 AM   #18
sheikyabooty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Well your problems also sound very similar to mine! I have taken it to KTM a few times but nothing, I have also taken it to a friend of mines shop and he went through it with a fine tooth comb and still nothing which leaves him to believe it is definetly an electrical fault maybe ecu as it feels like the engine is being starved of fuel but all connections are fine, so maybe ecu.

I will be writing to KTM about this as the more people tell them directly about these issues the better.

Here is my thread with my symptoms

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365313
Old 09-01-2008, 06:44 AM   #19
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
mine was doing the very same thing. the throttle body clamps FELL off and it was sucking air around the boots. lean condition stalls from speed and erratic idle.

got that fixed but at the same time they did the TSB ECU remap.

do not like the remap. deadn'd out the low end and a flat spot big time between 4,5-5,5k rpm. the idle issue has come back too.

not happy. gonna have the shop put the original "snatchy" map back in. it was way better all around.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:37 AM   #20
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 15,120
Just my2 cents here, we have had many problems with new bikes and batteries. Luckily mine had to be replaced at delivery, no problems at all afterwards.

Try replacing the battery with a new one. Make sure its not only re-charged! and then post about it!

I will post some more after lurking...
Member #68,893
Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:51 AM   #21
frog
Beastly Adventurer

The shop said they checked the battery and it was good. Next time in I'll try and get them to just replace it to make sure. The first time it was in the shop a bunch of KTM guys where in town for a show and they talked with one of them about the problem and thats how they came up with the rectifier.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #22
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

This previous posts share some info:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=clutch

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=clutch
Member #68,893
Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:49 AM   #23
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

I re-read this thread and it seems the OP was replacign the battery.... Any news?
Member #68,893
Old 09-01-2008, 02:18 PM   #24
GaelicDog OP
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
New battery purchased and charged, installed on Saturday evening and what little I have ridden the bike no issues. Fingers crossed.

I put the old battery on the charger after removing it from the bike. Took a full charge for about 45 minutes before the charger switched over to trickle mode. Took several hours more before the charger showed full. Unplugged the battery last night then put it on the charger again, same as before. I am thinking I have a cell going bad in the old battery and the computer was picking it up. Only time will tell.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:56 PM   #25
bodi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
I rode around 100miles today and no symptoms of the stall. Maybe the mechanic was right and that the hose for the emissions cannot have any kinks in it. My guess is if it is kinked and the pressure builds behind the kink and that causes the engine to shut off. But that is just a guess.

I know in one of my old cages Ford had a similar mechanism for emission control. I suggest you have your mechanics just check it to see if you have any kinks in the hose for the emissions system.

Bodi
bodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:17 PM   #26
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Thumb

That's the original reason for the Canisterectomy.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:41 PM   #27
GaelicDog OP
Lesser of Two Weasels

Well, my first real ride after the battery install was this morning on the way to work. Hit the stop sign at the end of the street and it dies. WTF? First time ever for that! Would not crank at all. Turned the bike off and on and it cranks right up. Runs like a top all the way to work like a champ.

On the way home from work I get to the end of the street and it dies. Same as this morning, would not crank until I turned it off and on. Ran like a top on the way home. Stopped at the mailbox to grab the mail, pull in the clutch and it dies quickly.

Now it's acting like it's fuel starved.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:19 PM   #28
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog
Well, my first real ride after the battery install was this morning on the way to work. Hit the stop sign at the end of the street and it dies. WTF? First time ever for that! Would not crank at all. Turned the bike off and on and it cranks right up. Runs like a top all the way to work like a champ.

On the way home from work I get to the end of the street and it dies. Same as this morning, would not crank until I turned it off and on. Ran like a top on the way home. Stopped at the mailbox to grab the mail, pull in the clutch and it dies quickly.

Now it's acting like it's fuel starved.
Sorry to hear that. Did you do the 15 min. idle after replacing the battery? You should independently that this is not related with your problem.

Please elaborate a little more.

Turn on with-out touching the throttle and wait for at least 2 bars. Does it idles around 1500rpm?

When you say turn-off and on, its the kill switch right? or the key ignition?

Re-check the battery terminals and make sure they are tight.
Check all hoses

Did you run tru water before your problems start? I have read about key switch problems. look here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211615
Member #68,893

Venteuri screwed with this post 09-02-2008 at 02:43 PM
Old 09-02-2008, 05:09 PM   #29
frog
Beastly Adventurer

So who has a phone # for KTM USA? My bike is not fixed and KTM is now telling the dealer that they need to do a full service $500 before they look at it any further. The bike has 6K on it and the had the valves done at 600 miles by me and the oil 2k ago. I say F*CK YOU KTM I am not going to waste $500 so that you can figure out the stalling issue.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:49 PM   #30
GaelicDog OP
Lesser of Two Weasels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturi
Sorry to hear that. Did you do the 15 min. idle after replacing the battery? You should independently that this is not related with your problem. Yep, did the 15 minute trick right after installing the battery.

Please elaborate a little more. Bike cranks right up and runs well. Drove about 100 yards and pulled in the clutch at the stop sign. Bike dies instantly as soon as the clutch is pulled in. Hit the starter and the motor spins fast and either spits or does nothing. Turn the switch on and off and the bike cranks right up.

Turn on with-out touching the throttle and wait for at least 2 bars. Does it idles around 1500rpm? Actually is idling about 1250

When you say turn-off and on, its the kill switch right? or the key ignition? I used both methods, each worked.

Re-check the battery terminals and make sure they are tight. Tight.
Check all hoses Have not had anything off the bike to kink a hose, but checking those right now (while not on a computer break).

Now there two wires ending in a plug on the left side of the airbox that is unplugged. Not sure where it goes and do not remember it the last time I was in the airbox. Any ideas?

Did you run tru water before your problems start? NO water
I have read about key switch problems. look here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211615

The bike has 10K on it and up until this morning has never stalled. The bike has been flawless up until this point.