Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2008, 07:23 AM   #61
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by marin ktm
mine still does the low idle, on the verge of stalling thing about 20% percent of the time. It has never had a fast idle problem.
Mine doesn't fast idle either. It's just stalling and has a low idle.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:00 AM   #62
1 Bored Clerk
Mama, I'm goin fast!

Oddometer: 10
My dad's 07 990 (New) was in the shop for weird and untraceable electrical issues for 5 straight weeks out of 7 weeks of ownership. Finally, he asked to get his money back on the 07 and he would pay the difference for an 08. They agreed and his 08 has been flawless. It's crap that you are suffering with these issues. I'm sorry for that. Good luck. KTM really needs to tighten up the QC on this stuff.
1 Bored Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:08 AM   #63
marin ktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
I will be watching this thread. I have not mentioned my issue to the dealer since it is bareable as is and I have had no other reason to take it in. The trip to any of the 3 dealers near me is an hour each way. I am almost due for a valve adjust, so I will bring it up then. It is so damn unpredictable though. It may go for 100 miles of stop and go riding and be perfect, then barely want to idle for 15 minutes of stop and go, then fine again. I am pretty sure it will perform perfectly for the dealer test ride.

I thought I fixed it by adjusting my clutch lever out a bit. It was fine after that for a long time, but has started doing it again. I still think it could have something to do with it.

'07 990Adv. 10,000 miles
marin ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:57 AM   #64
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
You might try jumpering the clutch switch (#5 in image below n and yellow wires behind the headlight
under the connector support) for troubleshooting purposes. This will fool the ECU into thinking that the clutch is pulled in all of the time and will stop the overrun cutoff from functioning. Only drawback is that the bike will start in gear without the clutch pulled in. May be worth the inconvienience for a short time just to eliminate one of the variables from the mess.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:55 PM   #65
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,743
Well another wasted trip to the dealer. I dropped it off two thursdays ago and they were going to have a look at it Called today and their 990 tech is no longer with them as of today and he has not looked at my bike. WTF. I'm about to say FU Ktm and by the way bend over so I can put this bike were it belongs. So today I get to go pick it up and take it to the other dealer that has tried 3 times to fix it and says "drop it off and we'll try to get to it". They also say they have talked with KTM and KTM doesn't know what to do and niether do they. I wish I could do thsi with my business. Sell something, then say sorry it's broke but we have no clue how to fix it.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:26 AM   #66
GaelicDog OP
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby

So GaelicDog and Dagwood are both having the exact same problem?

Have you considered making the dealer take them back? Lemon Law? Perhaps this would get KTM's attention and they'd address the problem.
My bike is over a year old, out of warranty and over 11K miles. Don't think the lemon law will cover mine. Also, I have never left mine at the dealer with an official service ticket.

Got ready to leave for DC last Tuesday and the fast idle shit was still there. I figure screw it, when it breaks we'll know what was wrong! Over the 1600 mile trip she fast idled a little in the earlier part of the trip but straightened up. Then on the return ride had her die twice on the interstate at speed. I would pull the clutch in as I adjusted something with my right hand so the bike wouldn't slow down and it would just die. The engine death would occur usually after a fill up.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:03 AM   #67
SuchesRider
Just Do It!

Oddometer: 1,674
Hey guys. I am seriously considering purchasing a new 2007 950. Should I be concerned? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks. SR
Old 10-08-2008, 03:45 AM   #68
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog
My bike is over a year old, out of warranty and over 11K miles. Don't think the lemon law will cover mine. Also, I have never left mine at the dealer with an official service ticket.

Got ready to leave for DC last Tuesday and the fast idle shit was still there. I figure screw it, when it breaks we'll know what was wrong! Over the 1600 mile trip she fast idled a little in the earlier part of the trip but straightened up. Then on the return ride had her die twice on the interstate at speed. I would pull the clutch in as I adjusted something with my right hand so the bike wouldn't slow down and it would just die. The engine death would occur usually after a fill up.
My 07 990 has similar issues, but not as badly. It's shut off a few times, usually right after startup, when I engage the clutch.

Mine tends to buck (yeah, like a horse) when I'm at low speeds in the dirt. Even with G2 throttle cam.

I think all this is related to the ECU. All this madness about "start it up and let it sit without touching the throttle until the temp reaches 2 bars," and "you need to do an ecu recalibration by letting it sit for between 15 and 16 minutes" tells me that ECU is very sensitive to auto recalibrations.

Even when you don't want it to.

KTM needs to relook at the engine management system. There's a solution in there.

Regardless, I suspect the aftermarket will step up on this one. Someone will develop a better ecu system. And then ask us with the problem to pony up $300.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:41 AM   #69
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby
My 07 990 has similar issues, but not as badly. It's shut off a few times, usually right after startup, when I engage the clutch.

Mine tends to buck (yeah, like a horse) when I'm at low speeds in the dirt. Even with G2 throttle cam.

I think all this is related to the ECU. All this madness about "start it up and let it sit without touching the throttle until the temp reaches 2 bars," and "you need to do an ecu recalibration by letting it sit for between 15 and 16 minutes" tells me that ECU is very sensitive to auto recalibrations.

Even when you don't want it to.

KTM needs to relook at the engine management system. There's a solution in there.

Regardless, I suspect the aftermarket will step up on this one. Someone will develop a better ecu system. And then ask us with the problem to pony up $300.
Problem is we are such a small market segment, compared to the big 5, that if and when it's gonna be along time and cost more than $300.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:17 PM   #70
roaddog7
n00b

Oddometer: 4
07 990 Adv

Hey Frog, thanks for the tip on the trottle cams. I put the 400 on and it made a huge difference. Still not perfect. I'm thinking about a power commander and dyno. I hate to spend the peso's. I should send the bill to KTM. You buy a new bike, it should be perfect. They promote the Akro's in their catalog. Thanks again, RDG7
roaddog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:59 AM   #71
Romitek
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Potential solution

My 07 990 had similar issue. It has shut off three times (at 3500km, 4600km and 6000km). I phoned to local KTM dealer (Sette, Vlasim, Czech Republic) and they were familiar with the problem. The solution was to change the clutch switch under warranty. I have put another 1000km on it after the replace and no shut off so far. I hope this help.
Romitek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:18 AM   #72
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romitek
My 07 990 had similar issue. It has shut off three times (at 3500km, 4600km and 6000km). I phoned to local KTM dealer (Sette, Vlasim, Czech Republic) and they were familiar with the problem. The solution was to change the clutch switch under warranty. I have put another 1000km on it after the replace and no shut off so far. I hope this help.
Oh, that's interesting! Anyone have more info on this? My bike is out of warranty, how much is a clutch switch?

I've been doing the 2 min., 2 bar idle warm up (without touching the throttle) religiously for the last couple weeks which has *almost* eliminated the problem for me. I've still had maybe two surprise stalls pulling away from a stop sign, so the problem persists, albeit reduced in frequency.

Oh, and congrats on the first post Romitek! Welcome!
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:41 AM   #73
Romitek
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by viola-tor
Oh, that's interesting! Anyone have more info on this? My bike is out of warranty, how much is a clutch switch?

I've been doing the 2 min., 2 bar idle warm up (without touching the throttle) religiously for the last couple weeks which has *almost* eliminated the problem for me. I've still had maybe two surprise stalls pulling away from a stop sign, so the problem persists, albeit reduced in frequency.

Oh, and congrats on the first post Romitek! Welcome!
Thanks for that warm welcome.
Clutch switch is about 1200 kc (czech crowns) including VAT (66USD according actual rate of exchange). Check the price at your local KTM dealer - I bet it will vary a lot. We are kinda stupid down here in Eastern Europe and pay more for many things.
Cheers.
Romitek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:52 AM   #74
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 14,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romitek
Thanks for that warm welcome.
Clutch switch is about 1200 kc (czech crowns) including VAT (66USD according actual rate of exchange). Check the price at your local KTM dealer - I bet it will vary a lot. We are kinda stupid down here in Eastern Europe and pay more for many things.
Cheers.
Welcome, and great info.

Na, But you have the best beer and Praga is one of the most beautiful cities in the world!
Member #68,893
Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:53 AM   #75
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 14,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
You might try jumpering the clutch switch (#5 in image below n and yellow wires behind the headlight
under the connector support) for troubleshooting purposes. This will fool the ECU into thinking that the clutch is pulled in all of the time and will stop the overrun cutoff from functioning. Only drawback is that the bike will start in gear without the clutch pulled in. May be worth the inconvienience for a short time just to eliminate one of the variables from the mess.
If the switch is the problem. YOU SHOULD HAVE HEARD THE MASTER AND FOLLOW HIS RECOMENDATIONS!!!!
Member #68,893
Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote