Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2008, 03:16 PM   #76
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturi
If the switch is the problem. YOU SHOULD HAVE HEARD THE MASTER AND FOLLOW HIS RECOMENDATIONS!!!!
Oh yeah, I did read that, but it left my brain... I'll have to tinker and see what happens when I get a chance. This bike kicks arse!
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:20 AM   #77
MetalClawWolf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Ive had the 'clutch in bike dies' issue a few times. And I had the high idle problem once too. The high idle was caused by a loose fuse that would lose contact occasionally with the socket.

After that was fixed, that same night, my bike dies in a parking lot as I am going about 25mph when I pulled in the clutch.
MetalClawWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:12 PM   #78
MOTOSOTO
Light Fuse and Get Away!

Oddometer: 470
...I've posted here before about my 990/adv going through similar ails.

...bike is nearly outta warranty and it's been at [said KTM Dealer] for two weeks. The same problems plague this bike...it's fucking sub-standard that KTM's R&D and QC have something so pandemic like this happening to their customers...the good thing, in all this, is the willingness that KTMs trying to fix this...clutch switch, new battery, ECU, EVAP, and a new one...ready for this...Crank Sensor...two things will happen within the next week; (1) give it another chance considering KTM will extend their warranty to cover this related problem, or (2) a well detailed, fully loaded 2007 990 ADV will have a fucking for sale sign on it...going cheap...

...crank-sensor? c'mon...when does Exhaust Bearing and Ball Shift Manager come into the diagnosis...glad, but sorry to hear that I'm not the only rider/ower/operator going through this ridiculous grief...

Steven David Soto

末末末末末末末末末末末末

MOTOSOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #79
Kamuk
lost in the ozone again

Oddometer: 113
Trouble shooting advice

I have read and re-read this thread but do not find a description of exactly what I am experiencing:

A new to me '07 990 Adv w/ Akros, 44K kms on the clock and fresh battery has picked up a new intermittent habit -

Idles normally at start up but later when warmed occasionally or consistently will hold high idle between 2,200 and 3,000+ rpm, either with the clutch engaged or not, independent of any gear that it is in - other than neutral - where it will drop idle back to normal (~1300 rpm).

Upon shut down and restart bike idles normally in neutral and with gear engagement until some random time in the future where the issue represents itself.

Our nearest dealer is two hours away and I'd like to run thru as much trouble shooting a layman may prior to taking it in for service...

Your experiences and advice are most appreciated!
Kamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #80
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Balance throttle body's, check TPS voltage (when warm) and the stepper motor.
Get TuneECU and a cable if you don't have them yet
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #81
Kamuk
lost in the ozone again

Katoom 72

Thank you.

As this is my first injected machine, I do not yet have the ECU cables / software...

Per KTMSMT forum I find:
"... in Tune ECU, you can see both map sensor pressures & can balance the throttle bodies using the map sensors & you can see the TPS voltages."

as well as:
"The only electronic device that can raise the idle is the idle motor.
If you do have a Tune ECU cable & there are no fault codes, carry out throttle cable adjustment, then reset the idle motor using Tune ECU.
"

There must be different mapping settings between neutral and in gear, I suppose - the odd N-2-3 switch would have nothing to do with this I guess?

So the cables / software will be on the list of toys to add to the dog house!
As that won't be anytime soon, off to the dealership she goes...
Old 09-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #82
Kamuk
lost in the ozone again

"You don't need a mechanic, you need a priest..."

So the more I research this, per thread 2006 990 Adventure and TUNEECUI I find that quote from PowerCell 2 years ago...

A similarity though per the OP - "I would have to pull over, put the bike in neutral, turn it off, wait, and then turn it back on again."

I found numerous items that would never occur to me other wise:

Something about a 15 minute idle
(bike sat alot hence prior owner sold it to me)
Clutch switch also effects ECU settings
Regulator output will effect TPS even if batt is 12 plus Volts

...and OP never finished the tread with the exorcism of the demon(s)...

Good read and provoked the desire to read the operator's manual for the TuneECU however - the link listed there has expired.

Here is the active one - http://tuneecu.com/TuneECU_En/links.html

While reading up -
Old 09-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #83
BuzzOnWheels
n00b

Oddometer: 4
KTM 990 '07 erratic / hanging idle

This is crazy that so far no body seams to have a fix for this yet.

I'll let you all know what else I find out along the way.

About the idle dropping to a stall - setting the TPS fixed that immediatly on mine but did nothing for erratic idle.

I have replaced the battery, voltage regulator and done the following:

'07 KTM 990 Adventre - 33,000 mi.

Hi, trying to not buy a $1,100 part to resolve an idle issue.

I am told by local dealers (Utah) and their communication with "KTM" that I need to replace the throttle body to resolve my erratic idle situation.

That's like replacing the carbs to change the jetting, right?

It started with a strange high 1.75, and now up to 5K. Kill switch re-sets and back to 1.5 K rpm.

19K I noticed the first glitch and now at 32K it is holding 75 mph in 6th gear with out any hands.

TPS has been synced and sonically cleaned, no errors were coming up on computer with mapping for Akrapovic exhaust.

I heard that the "Big Grey Bundle" might be the culprit.

I also did the "15 min idle reset" with no difference.

Any wisdom? I am hoping that you might.

Thanks in advance, Demian

BuzzOnWheels
BuzzOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:10 AM   #84
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,699
I also started having problems with idling revs

Mine are not related with clutch position. When I close the throttle, the revs occasionally stay at 4000 or more often at 2500rpm. Clutch in or not. When I turn off and on again they come down to normal 1450rpm. I believe they are related to sensors malfunction.
We have two pressure sensors, one temp sensor, one clutch sensor, one gear sensor, sidestand sensor and an inclination sensor.
I believe it is related to one of the first three. Of course all connections and R/R as well as unbalanced throttle bodies could be the reason as well.
Any thoughts?
Cheers.

gefr screwed with this post 11-02-2013 at 12:03 AM
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:25 AM   #85
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,126
It's likely the stepper motor. Try a reset and throttle cable adjustment through tuneecu so that it retracts fully. It might fix it the issue. I've done it twice on two 990s
Old 11-01-2013, 04:28 AM   #86
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzOnWheels View Post
[/FONT][/COLOR]
Hi, trying to not buy a $1,100 part to resolve an idle issue.

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=arial]I am told by local dealers (Utah) and their communication with "KTM" that I need to replace the throttle body to resolve my erratic idle situation.

That's like replacing the carbs to change the jetting, right?

BuzzOnWheels
No it's not like changing the jetting. It's most likely your stepper motor. It's a documented issue. But you could opt to just replace the stepper and not the whole throttle body.

Just my 2 cents
Old 11-01-2013, 05:36 AM   #87
rider911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
No it's not like changing the jetting. It's most likely your stepper motor. It's a documented issue. But you could opt to just replace the stepper and not the whole throttle body.

Just my 2 cents
I tried to find where the stepper motor has been proven to be the cause of the erratic idle but couldnt find anything positive. Could you please point me in the right direction please.
Does KTM just sell the stepper motor by itself? It seems that you have to buy the whole FI set up
I am leaning toward the stepper motor being my problem but I would like to see an instance where someone has replaced it and solved the problem.
I had my bike apart for almost a year and when I restarted it the idle speed instantly started misbehaving, it was running and idling perfect the last time it was together. I borrowed the whole throttle body assembly from another bike and it instantly fixed the problem but I am not allowed to disassemble anything on the good unit.

All 2 cents welcome

08 KTM 300 exce (small)
12 KTM 500 exc (medium)
07 KTM 990 Adv (large)
rider911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #88
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

I've personally swapped two and it fixed the issue on both bikes. A 990a and 990smr.

Some others reported similar experiences
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597191

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=914177&page=2

As I mentioned before, a reset to retract the stepper might fixed things. Especially of your tps is adjusted properly.
Hard to troubleshoot over the forum, for sure. I'm assuming you've checked every other sensors and switches.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #89
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Ktm sells you the whole throttle body ONLY but there are alternatives. I don't have my laptop with me at this very moment but I can get the info in a few hours.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:56 AM   #90
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Here is the info
It's a plug and play replacement unit for the our stepper motor
Triumph 1050 Speed triple/1050 ST ------ part number TRT1241182

I think it was about $200. . Why the heck did ktm opt out of that option.... I guess the whole throttle body is much better

If you need more info