ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #1
mrudy OP
"Let's Ride"

Oddometer: 277
Scaredy Cat Dual Sport/Adventure Ride

Sitting around home after surgery is no fun.... and in another week, I should be able to do some light riding..... so with a quick check of the OMRA event schedule, I see the Scaredy Cat DS/ADV Ride is coming up Sept 14!!! Location is near Detroit, Oregon, just east of Salem.

And, it looks like the route has been tailored to the big adventure bikes!! Perfect!

Info link: http://www.blackdogdualsport.com/sc_events.htm

Some basic info from the website:

What: an easy adventure-bike ride targeted at larger, bikes and sidecars, but any dualsport bike will do fine. The ride will consist of gravel and pavement only. This is not a 'typical' dualsport ride, but a ride where you have to think, plan your routes and enjoy. Think of it as a mapped, scavenger-hunt ride, with rollchart backups and options. We will also have a single rollchart loop too, if you want something more typical.
Who: Anyone from newbies to experienced riders, with an adventure-touring, scavenger-hunt theme.
Where: Just 6 miles north of Detroit, Oregon at Fox Creek Campground.
When: September 14, 2008
Why: because we want to, we love riding in our public forests and it's fun!

05 KTM 450 EXC GONE
Pics at http://www.mrudy.smugmug.com
mrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #2
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrudy
Sitting around home after surgery is no fun....
Here here. I'm starting to go insane with cabin fever. I've just finally been able to start using crutches after being wheelchair/walker bound.

Quote:
and in another week, I should be able to do some light riding

Lucky Bastard. I've been laid for 6 weeks and have another 12-18 before I can event think about sitting my my bike. Have a good ride.

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
lsvens
Could I re-weld that?

Oddometer: 42
Mrudy...
Daren and I have just done the WetFest this weekend and I may be at the Scaredy Cat on the KLR. I have paid to enter. Daren and I still talk about the LosLobos ride out of Oregon City with you and Big_Weight.

Later,
Les.
lsvens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #4
mrudy OP
"Let's Ride"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsvens
Mrudy...
Daren and I have just done the WetFest this weekend and I may be at the Scaredy Cat on the KLR. I have paid to enter. Daren and I still talk about the LosLobos ride out of Oregon City with you and Big_Weight.

Later,
Les.
Hey Les!! I hope to be there next sunday. I'll probably have to truck it to the event due to my physical state not being 100%.

Hope you all had fun at WetFest! I'm missing out on way too much good riding and PERFECT weather!!
05 KTM 450 EXC GONE
Old 09-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #5
mrudy OP
"Let's Ride"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjonesphoto
Lucky Bastard. I've been laid for 6 weeks and have another 12-18 before I can event think about sitting my my bike. Have a good ride.
Know anyone with a side car???
05 KTM 450 EXC GONE
Old 09-07-2008, 09:48 PM   #6
atomicfuze
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
Hey Mike would you say this ride is worth coming down from my area for? I have never ridden in Oregon at all so it's tempting.
cheers,
-Brian
atomicfuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:27 PM   #7
mrudy OP
"Let's Ride"

Jeez, Brian, I have no idea.

As for riding in Oregon, what I have done thus far, has been spectacular. I understand the area near Detroit Lake is very nice.

As for the event, I don't know, since I haven't been to this one before. The trail boss made an announcement at a DS ride I did in July (Valley Dualsport n Oregon City), that he was working hard to put on a great event.

The only thing I think about right now is, the weather and conditions are terrific right now, if I don't get in all the riding I can, I don't know if I can survive another PNW winter like we had last year!!!!!
05 KTM 450 EXC GONE
Old 09-07-2008, 10:47 PM   #8
atomicfuze
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
I think I will come down, my cousin lives in Corvallis so I'll camp Saturday, Sunday night I'll stay in Corvallis and then Monday I'll ride the coast back home.

I'd like to hit you up for info on that ride you did on the coast last winter so maybe I can ride some of that on my way up north on Monday.

BTW what surgery did you have?

cheers,
-Brian

Quote:
Jeez, Brian, I have no idea.

As for riding in Oregon, what I have done thus far, has been spectacular. I understand the area near Detroit Lake is very nice.

As for the event, I don't know, since I haven't been to this one before. The trail boss made an announcement at a DS ride I did in July (Valley Dualsport n Oregon City), that he was working hard to put on a great event.

The only thing I think about right now is, the weather and conditions are terrific right now, if I don't get in all the riding I can, I don't know if I can survive another PNW winter like we had last year!!!!!
atomicfuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:01 PM   #9
mrudy OP
"Let's Ride"

Talking What a fun ride

Had a great ride today at the Scaredy Cat. Possibly the most interesting and unique dual sport/adventure rides I've been to. Instead of the usual checkpoints, this event added another element. The adventure of like a geocaching experience.

Riders were provided GPS coordinates to a Quiz Check. Once at the location, the rider was then given clues for something to find, like "find the American flag on the RD 11 sign." Then it would have a question, "what is on the sticker underneath the American flag." So we'd have to write that down. And then plug the coordinates to the next Quiz Check and off we'd go.

There were about 12 Quiz Checks, one was off the road down a trail to a cable bridge overlooking some young hot bodies swimming in Detroit Lake. Nice

Rode with atomicfuze and an ADV lurker named Jim. Incredible day of riding. Witnessed one wreck, a rider on a V-strom lowsided on a gravel corner into the willows and the ditch. Luckily nothing hurt nor damaged. After looking at his bike, his rear brake line had gotten caught on something and broke, causing him to lose his rear brakes. Yikes!!

Sorry no pics. My point and shoot digital went south on me and I didn't feel like dragging the primo Nikon D-SLR out for such a dusty ride.
05 KTM 450 EXC GONE