User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
ghostdncr OP
Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer: 1,122
Madison, IN, Memorial Day weekend ride

So Lucky Strike and I decide to abandon Louisville and head up to Madison, Indiana for this big "gravel ride."

I start my day by doing the finish prep on my old Transalp and then rolling out about an hour early to make sure everything was squared away. Stopped for gas and water and when I came out, the start button just produced a single "grrr___" each time I pushed it. On about the fourth try, she started and all was chocolate.

We had decided to meet at the first gas station in Indiana after crossing the Kennedy Bridge, and I roll in to find Lucky listening to a homeless guy (Greg?), who is delivering a doctoral thesis on something about demanding to spend winter in jail. While it was a fascinating tale, I'll leave it to Lucky to post that if he can remember all the twists and turns. I only caught the end of it. I was so taken with the homeless guy's eloquence that I neglected to take any pictures of our meeting spot, or of Lucky pushing me across the parking lot so I could get the circus pig (she immediately becomes a pig when she won't start) across the parking lot. That exercise went amazingly well and we were soon ripping north up I-65.

If you've ever ridden southern Indiana, primarily the I-65 part, you already know there's not a helluva lot to take pictures of anyway. Whatever electromagnetic field I rode through that zapped my charging system also took out my camera, so until we got to Madison there were no pictures taken. It popped my GPS as well and so far nothing I've tried has resurrected it. What should I buy to replace it?

So, we finally make it to WalMart in Madison. I reinstall the memory card and load new batteries. My first successful shot is of this FF (Lucky):

Check out all the dirt bikes!!!

Gratuitous gas pump shot of the meet and greet:

...and a shot of my bike for the "your bike at a gas pump" thread:

Suiting up:
"Time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Daddy!" ~Harry Connick Jr.

While it's flat and mostly straight, ya gotta love motorcycles and skies shots like these:

There was a steady smattering of farm machinery throughout the day to keep our progress rate at a tolerable minimum:

Here's a shot of lucky after a successful water crossing (that is NOT his cup!) and the tail end of Eugene's KLX:

Lucky, WoodsRat, and Eugene. I think this shot was taken as Lucky began sharing the homeless guy's story with us:

WoodsRat and what appears to be the remains of a parachute drop of beer rations. What a country, southern Indiana!

Here's one of the "crick":

...and Eugene heading on up the hill. I'm pretty sure he had the only functional GPS among us with at least one of the possible routes loaded into it, hence, he spent a lot of time leading (Thanks again, Eugene!):

I'm thinking the above pic was right after Lucky's luck ran out and he nailed an incredible mid-stream get off. Instead of getting pics or video, I dismounted and ran, slipped, surfed across the slime to help him get the V-Strom out of the creek. Maybe someone else got pics?

Yeah, yeah, I'll try to be a better riding partner in the future and get video of everything including the recovery.

A V-Strom makes a peculiar crack when it hits concrete. Never heard that before but I doubt I'll ever forget it. It looked to me like Lucky had snapped his leg underneath the bike, but aside from being completely adrenalized (snatched his bike upright like it was a CR250!) he seemed fine.

More Heartland stuff:

"What now?"

"Ain't that America..."

"Are you sure?"

The Indian Trails Restaurant where we stopped for lunch, in Canaan, IN if I remember correctly:

Now, whichever one of you guys actually ended up paying for my lunch, I'll cheerfully PayPal you a twenty to cover it! You saved me from an afternoon working for the weed-eater guy @ table #4 or whatever the lady running the joint could've dreamed up. PM me.

More Americana:

More consultation:

Indiana skies this Memorial Day weekend:

Lucky trying to rip the helmet from his head after negotiating that sliver of water in the background.

Near as I can tell they take owl feces and mix it with snot, probably along the lines of a 40/60 mix, then pickle it for better part of a year in a lightweight synthetic motor oil. Then they paint these submerged "bridges" with it. This is the slickest surface I've ever encountered, without question.

Here he comes...

I'm obviously going to have to work on my technique with most of the standard ADV photographic techniques. If I learned nothing else from this ride, I learned that:

Bridge shot:

"I got yo back, Eugene!"

WoodsRat's Yammie back at the gas station:

My bike sitting in the only scrap of shade I've ever seen in a WalMart parking lot anywhere!

More farm equipment on the way back to interstate. We got lost, but won't be mentioning that in this thread:

And here's Lucky just moments before we part company back in the Louisville Metro Area. This is how Lucky tells us what a great time he's had! He's most happy because he knows a Porta-Power will straighten those crash bars right out. As for me? I'm sure my problems are nothing a new GPS, a bottle of Ibuprofen, and some bed rest won't fix:

Thanks, guys, for inviting us up to Madison. Maybe next time we'll all get to ride with each other! Great country up there, and that owl feces thing you do really must be experienced to be believed. Have a great evening and be sure to tell everyone that ghost and Lucky said "Hey!"

ghostdncr screwed with this post 05-24-2009 at 08:41 AM
ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
Kris_Kris
Magilla Gorilla

Oddometer: 214
I glad you guys had the route on the GPS, We thought we lost you. You were not the only ones to go down in the slime. Glad you made it. Kris
Kris_Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
lucky_strike
whose flux?

Oddometer: 2,656
damn good ride today guys!! im really glad i installed those crash before i went on this adventure. i got some pictures but im just too tired to try and pos them right nnow. as soon as i got home dad wanted to know if i wanted to go for a ride for with him so i just got back in the door.

but stay tuned because i have many stories about homless people, house boats, murder, conspiracy, free meals (thanks), an all sorts of cool stuff.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809561
lucky_strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:45 AM   #4
Eugene
-

Oddometer: 1,135
My day started in Marion and I rode about 80 miles south and hooked up with Dean(drainwater). We loaded my klx onto his trailer and headed down to Madison. Shortly after we left the meeting place we were somehow seperated from the group. It wound up being lucky_strike, ghostdncr, Woodsrat, and myself for the rest of the day. We didn't see anyone else all day! I was the only one with a partial gps track so I led most of the way. Or tried to, at least, as you can tell from ghostdncr's pictures. Hint!: don't let me lead rides.

Here are my pics. I didn't get many. I'm shitty like that.

Meeting Spot

Listening to stories about a homeless guy

I was leading and came across our first 2 slick crossings. After I crossed them I stopped and waited. After a minute or so I turned off the bike and walked back a little way to see this. Escaped the camera in the nick of time!

Walking across

More slime:

Woodsrat

ghostdncr

lucky_strike

A small crossing:

lucky_strike

ghostdncr and Woodsrat

Woodsrat. Guest appearance by ghostdncr's right side pannier.

Here's the longer slime crossing. I was kind of lucky all day since I was leading. I just carried a little momentum and basically coasted across all of them...and dared not move a muscle when I did.

As ghostdncr pointed out, this one was REALLY slick. When I was going across it I could feel the bike moving sideways a little...and I dared not move a muscle. I waited on the other side with camera ready but we walked the other bikes across. Good decision me thinks.

lucky_strike first

All hands on deck

Now it's Woodsrat's turn

Now ghostdncr

Finally, a random shot

It was great riding with you guys. It's always good to meet new people. I'm kinda glad we got split off from the large group. I hate riding in large groups.
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:37 AM   #5
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,594
WTF? No more pics of the most interesting thing in the scenery?

flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
ghostdncr OP
Burnin' daylight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
Sorry, the owl shit thing was sorta all-encompassing.

This was easily the worst crossing we did. It was the longest and slickest and the hole on the downstream side was easily deep enough to drown in. Not hard to imagine being pinned beneath a 500 lb motorcycle in five feet of water and lose all interest beyond the absolute necessity at hand.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:02 AM   #7
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,859
Nice ride pics!

....but...

.what flux said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor

Look closer...when you zoom in it looks like she may have been preoccupied!

or else they're all :ymca

p.s. that lucky sure is a handsome feller, aint he!
Old 05-24-2009, 09:13 AM   #8
Eugene
-

Oddometer: 1,135

That was actually a younger girl(like younger younger) or I would have actually paid a little more attention.
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:13 AM   #9
knybanjo
kinda slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdncr
Sorry, the owl shit thing was sorta all-encompassing.

This was easily the worst crossing we did. It was the longest and slickest and the hole on the downstream side was easily deep enough to drown in. Not hard to imagine being pinned beneath a 500 lb motorcycle in five feet of water and lose all interest beyond the absolute necessity at hand.
Yeah but....you eventually made it to the other side, didn't ya!?
Old 05-24-2009, 10:50 AM   #10
ghostdncr OP
Burnin' daylight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo
Yeah but....you eventually made it to the other side, didn't ya!?
Yep, we made it. And we all have our priorities, right?

She was like, thirteen, dude!
Old 05-24-2009, 01:11 PM   #11
knybanjo
kinda slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdncr
Yep, we made it. And we all have our priorities, right?

She was like, thirteen, dude!

You must not have been on the Kentucky side of the river..........

No seriously...that looks like a nice area to ride!