Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2008, 06:49 PM   #46
sturleyau
Monarch 42

Oddometer: 206
Hi, I just read your report and looked at all your pics. To put it in plain old Australian, that was bloody fantastic mate.
I've travelled around most of those areas and can only attest to the magnificence of the outback, especially the sunsets, the constant blue skies and the silence. I can't understand that some people I've met have never seen beyond Burke St!
Wonderful report and great photography. I hope the foal has grown.

Regards
Glenn
Old 09-09-2008, 09:32 PM   #47
maccajim OP
Holding the Awesome

Oddometer: 550
Low front guard no good

After mennindee i nearly had a stack on a great road dirt to Willcannia. The road was very good gravel could easily stay on 100kms until i ran into the road crew!

Out here when fixing the roads they generally put signs up slow roadwork 60km then 40 km but they do massive sections like a days work so maybe 3 to 5kms and u cant see the trucks so think the signs were just left there from last week. The way they do the roads is to have 3 machines a water truck, grader and roller following each other.

I hit a section after the red dirt track photos above with a road crew fixing it I pass the first water truck no worries gave a wave then the grader gave me the big down hand wave "slow the !$^& down" i was doing 60 so drop a gear to 40 then realized why, they were making a detour around a broken bridge so the new road ran into the dry creek bed, but now it wasn't dry as the water truck and 3 machines going thru it made it into a muddy rutted motorcross track corner looking like 20 bikes had ripped it up.

I geared down and luckily got thru but the front wheel started collecting mud big time it was hitting against the front low guard and sticking. This could easily have been no more going forward and showed me how sticky these red clay roads get. I kept going and when i got upto 80km the clay started getting flung off and up into the gap in the forks right into my goggles.
Crazy riding form easy gravel to slippery wet clay i was shagged when i got to the roadhouse at emmamble (legend Henrys roadhouse) saw the we have beer signs parked went in grabbed a vb and decided no more riding for the day critters everywhere. Had an emu pop up right beside my left elbow big crazy things only good for pizza. (Australian Hotel Sydney u can get Emu Roo and Crocdile pizza next the harbour bridge climb check it out top pub in the big Shitty)

My camp for the night some old abandoned petrol station concrete slab plenty of firewood and no one else a bit close to the road though

A gourmet dinner better than a home made roast beans in a can to tired to bother prepping of cleaning

maccajim screwed with this post 09-09-2008 at 11:03 PM
maccajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:43 PM   #48
maccajim OP
Holding the Awesome

Road house boat

Met the drive and his son of this rig and the boat they were carrying was enormous, some rich guy wants his boat trucked down from Yapoon near Cairns to Adelaide for the next fishing season. it filled a whole semi with a tender in front.

Semi with bloody big boat

The road continues on
Old 09-09-2008, 09:53 PM   #49
Springs
Shipping Wars

Oddometer: 2,270
Outstanding ride so far

I'll keep readin you keep writin!!! I hope to make there to ride one day!
Good pictues!

Finisher 2009 42nd running S.C.O.R.E Baja 1000, 313 X
Finisher's 2008 41st running S.C.O.R.E. Baja1000 202 X

http://www.snortnboarracing.com/

http://sidestandup.com/default.aspx

http://www.riderdown.org/forum/

RIP Jeff, and now Gary. I miss you both!
Springs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:57 PM   #50
maccajim OP
Holding the Awesome

Hiya Springs

Springs
I read your report a while back with your son going to mexico fantastic i wish my dad took me on those trips instead of droving cattle on my holidays, bet he learn't a lot and has probably changed a bit from it! something he will rember for the rest of his life i bet. Glad u enjoyed it some bits of the outback look like that mexico texas area.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:18 PM   #51
maccajim OP
Holding the Awesome

Assie Ute

Heading from cobar east now nice roadhouse saw a chick on her horse getting stubbies of beer from the owner refeshing her stubby holder while staying on the horse in front of roadhouse, my bike startled the horse so turned the motor off rolled in neutral for a beer.

Slabbing it thru Dubbo etc then got to Hill End old gold mining town my friend has a shack near here so good spot to stay before Sydney

Deadwood gold mining country they pulled a lot of gold out of here the town was 10,000 people at one stage from all corners of the globe. Just out of town u have to cross this creek to my friends shack

I'm heading for here my friends hidden shack pretty good camo can u make it our ld car and 2 shacks struggled to find it but so glad i did top spot with a lot of cool history.

U have to cross this creek and it has some big bolders good fun just hammer and hope for the best

The shack all carted here hand made by a dead set legend who can build anything note the triple water tank collectors he then guttered the roof, one chimnney for fire and one for cooking all salvaged stuff from building sites etc.

One of the old Dodge cars they managed to drive here this is of track big time so hardcore to get this here there is a VW kombi that made it here as well

maccajim screwed with this post 09-09-2008 at 11:55 PM
Old 09-09-2008, 11:43 PM   #52
maccajim OP
Holding the Awesome

Gold

The chinese diggings they piled the rocks up into lanes to then divert the water from the river they had refined gold mining to a science and u can see the Slushe tracks where they ran the water. Also built houses etc the stone they moved is incredible.

Nice shack u could retire here shoot goat and roos for dinner and creek 50 metres away

Top BBQ camping tool this a galvanised grid from a demolished BP servo the grids that car tyres run over make the perfect BBQ grill u set it up over the fire and can boil 2 billies 2 fry pans, great for brekkie it is always here so good when a few people want to cook at the same time. My mate got heaps of these once u see how easy they make cooking for groups u want one. U normally place it over the fire with 2 logs on either side then can place frypans billies etc over the span and have fire underneath works very well instead of fighting over the hot coals.

The lenght they go to for gold the orign=inal creek was at the top about 4 stories high sifted and sluced for gold has erroded the whole area.

Chinese diggings walls they placed all the stoned for a purpose and a lot died and were murdered here so they mark their graves supposed to be a lot of ghosts at night watch out

Hill end view used to be hundreds of shops 20 hotels now just one u can see the roads where the town once was.

maccajim screwed with this post 09-10-2008 at 12:16 AM
Old 09-19-2008, 12:46 AM   #53
maccajim OP
Holding the Awesome

Outside and inside

The shack all the mod cons
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2008, 12:48 AM   #54
maccajim OP
Holding the Awesome

All the mod cons

Decked out inside potbelly keeps it warm as it gets very cold here in winter def minus freezing so crank the fire
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2008, 03:53 AM   #55
dirtbikeslob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
bloody good RR there macca,you aussies have some seriously big real estate
over there,sometimes it can be a bit hard for us kiwis to comprehend.
dirtbikeslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:41 PM   #56
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,135
Hadn't seen the last third of this report!

Love your work!

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014

jtb screwed with this post 03-01-2009 at 02:22 AM
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:07 PM   #57
WrenchRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Amazing RR,

Pictures ..fantastic
WrenchRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:54 AM   #58
Colonial Mick
Nettle Licker

Oddometer: 2,409
I really enjoyed that,Thanks !
.. -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. -. .----. - --. .. ...- . .- ..-. .- - .-. .- - ... - .. -
Colonial Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:09 AM   #59
hoyks
Tightass KLR rider

Oddometer: 810
Thanks for the pics. Gives me a bit more of an idea what I am getting myself into.
hoyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:53 AM   #60
Mototrans
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Excellent writing style and great pics... good to see you took the time to soak it in... and solo.. Kato looks a bit clean though... love your work..

"Ignorance of the law will never save you. Good suspension and a full tank might." - Sundowner
Mototrans is offline   Reply With Quote