ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #31
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer
 
Cogswell's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Riding with my pal Richard Cranium
Oddometer: 4,122
Back from the depths.....

Ok, I have my forks apart to do this update/mod just in time to hurry up for the spring rally a few weeks away. The clunking has been quite annoying on full extension.
I have gone over this thread for my part numbers, (Thanks Phack) and the one thing I cant seem to find is the large O-ring that fits in the bottom of the fork leg to seal the lower cap. Anyone have any ideas where I may find this culprit on the fiche ?

TIA

Mike
__________________
Cogswell Rides To Big Bend
See my airhead project here
Time Warp Vintage Motorcycle Club
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #32
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better
 
mark1305's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Merritt Island, FL
Oddometer: 5,980
Since this thread fell into obscurity, I'm pretty sure I've traced my particular clunk to the dash mount bracket flexing on sharp bumps. I can hold it with one hand and pull against it and silence the clunk over bumps that normally cause it.

Now what is actually clunking under the plastic trim remains to be discovered. I can't find anything loose in there.
__________________
Mark J
Merritt Island, FL

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:01 PM   #33
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer
 
Cogswell's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Riding with my pal Richard Cranium
Oddometer: 4,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305
Since this thread fell into obscurity, I'm pretty sure I've traced my particular clunk to the dash mount bracket flexing on sharp bumps. I can hold it with one hand and pull against it and silence the clunk over bumps that normally cause it.

Now what is actually clunking under the plastic trim remains to be discovered. I can't find anything loose in there.
Mark do you mean the mount for the instruments on the rubber bushings ?

Other than that I'm stuck. Went to the local dealer and he tells me that
part #31-42-2-301-885 is no longer available from BMW, so I may not be able to do the update unless I find a dealer with the parts covered in dust on the shelf.


Mike
__________________
Cogswell Rides To Big Bend
See my airhead project here
Time Warp Vintage Motorcycle Club
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #34
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better
 
mark1305's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Merritt Island, FL
Oddometer: 5,980
Mike, when I run that part number through the Max BMW fiche, its available for under $3 (remove the dashes to search part numbers). And its listed for a whole bunch of bikes. Valve housing down in the shock absorber part of the forks, correct?
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...31422301885%20

In my case, yeah, the clunk is either the plastic fairing around the instruments or the instruments flexing the stamped sheet metal "Panel" that holds tach, speedo, and headlight. The headlight is held pretty rigidly, so I suspect a combo of instruments and plastic fairing bouncing and hitting over bumps.
__________________
Mark J
Merritt Island, FL

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #35
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal
 
boxerboy81's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Melbourne, Oz
Oddometer: 2,283
Try checking the wear on the large centre nut at the upper yoke.

These can wear over the years. Remove it, and replace with a shim made from an alu drink can, applied over the forward facing surface. Does Grolsch come in a can?

It's an easy test, and cheap to try. Might get lucky.
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:44 AM   #36
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer
 
Cogswell's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Riding with my pal Richard Cranium
Oddometer: 4,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305
Mike, when I run that part number through the Max BMW fiche, its available for under $3 (remove the dashes to search part numbers). And its listed for a whole bunch of bikes. Valve housing down in the shock absorber part of the forks, correct?
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...31422301885%20

In my case, yeah, the clunk is either the plastic fairing around the instruments or the instruments flexing the stamped sheet metal "Panel" that holds tach, speedo, and headlight. The headlight is held pretty rigidly, so I suspect a combo of instruments and plastic fairing bouncing and hitting over bumps.
Mark, I had the local dealer run it on "lightspeed" I think part locator and it showed NLA in the US and the Fatherland, he called BMW parts help in Jersey too.
I spoke with Craig at Benchmark works yesterday afternoon and he said his parts source in europe shows it available. I will know in 3-4 weeks if it shows up. I may call a few others in the meantime in the event some are laying on the shelf somewhere.
Hey I've got 3 weeks till the rally right, plenty of time.


Mike
__________________
Cogswell Rides To Big Bend
See my airhead project here
Time Warp Vintage Motorcycle Club
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:44 AM   #37
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer
 
Cogswell's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Riding with my pal Richard Cranium
Oddometer: 4,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerboy81
Try checking the wear on the large centre nut at the upper yoke.

These can wear over the years. Remove it, and replace with a shim made from an alu drink can, applied over the forward facing surface. Does Grolsch come in a can?

It's an easy test, and cheap to try. Might get lucky.
Thanks, I'll check the clearance at the large center nut too.


Mike
__________________
Cogswell Rides To Big Bend
See my airhead project here
Time Warp Vintage Motorcycle Club
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:17 PM   #38
spo123
Man About Town
 
spo123's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: North Shore Mass. USA
Oddometer: 706
Talking

Rusty, at Max BMW in NH, is absolutely THE BEST PARTS MAN ANYWHERE!
spo

spo123 screwed with this post 01-21-2014 at 06:07 PM
spo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:25 PM   #39
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer
 
Cogswell's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Riding with my pal Richard Cranium
Oddometer: 4,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by spo123
Rusty, at Max BMW in NH, is absolutely THE BEST PARTSMAN ANYWHERE!
spo
I called and spoke with Rose yesterday, Rusty won't be back from vacation till tomorrow.


Mike
__________________
Cogswell Rides To Big Bend
See my airhead project here
Time Warp Vintage Motorcycle Club
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #40
rustygardhouse
rusty
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 71
So...

How did this end?

Smiles or tears?

Did you find a source of 31 42 2 301 885 VALVE HOUSING?

Got the same problem on my '80 R65 & looking for a fix.

rustygardhouse screwed with this post 10-24-2012 at 12:29 AM
rustygardhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:50 PM   #41
thekinghimself
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 17
Bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustygardhouse View Post
So...

How did this end?

Smiles or tears?

Did you find a source of 31 42 2 301 885 VALVE HOUSING?

Got the same problem on my '80 R65 & looking for a fix.

I'll give this thread a bump to 2014!

I managed to find a picture of this part on the web (Google image search by part number), But no leads.

Any ideas where to look anyone?

I would love to get rid of this r80 clunk!

- Jeff
thekinghimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:33 PM   #42
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer
 
Cogswell's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Riding with my pal Richard Cranium
Oddometer: 4,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekinghimself View Post
I'll give this thread a bump to 2014!

I managed to find a picture of this part on the web (Google image search by part number), But no leads.

Any ideas where to look anyone?

I would love to get rid of this r80 clunk!

- Jeff
I never did get the part, no longer available....I'm still not sold on the premise that it is indeed the source of the "clunk"











Mike
__________________
Cogswell Rides To Big Bend
See my airhead project here
Time Warp Vintage Motorcycle Club
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:02 PM   #43
100RT
Studly Adventurer
 
100RT's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: N. E. OHIO
Oddometer: 602
I have an 81 R100RT that has clunked ever since I had it. I have complied with every service bulletin known and I still have the clunk. I did install the spring loaded valve body with no change in noise. if the stock valve body is shimmed tight it is the same idea. The spring eliminates the shop time to do shimming. I have the Toaster Tan top brace and tried Works performance springs and new stock springs. Tried 5 wt oil 7.5 wt oil new steering head bearings and center nut, you name it!

I have had these forks apart so many times its crazy but I still have the noise.

I would remove the Progressive springs in the R65, your description is the forks are topping out.
Good luck, I could sure use some!
100RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:28 PM   #44
thekinghimself
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogswell View Post
I never did get the part, no longer available....I'm still not sold on the premise that it is indeed the source of the "clunk"











Mike
I guess we will never find out, Too bad, because if availiability was not a problem, at least the parts are cheap.... It would be worth the elbow grease to try them out.

Snow bum has agreat write up on at least what BMW thought the solution to the clunking was:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/frontforks.htm

I've ordered the plastic bumpers for the top and bottom of the fork springs. I'll report back it they make a diffrence.

- Jeff
thekinghimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #45
100RT
Studly Adventurer
 
100RT's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: N. E. OHIO
Oddometer: 602
Jeff what plastic bumpers are you referring to? My 81 came with cut fork springs. Meaning the ends were not flush ground flat. The plastic end pieces were made to fit the cut off springs which in turn made them sit flat in the fork tube.
I didnt see the plastic fork end pieces in Bums picture
100RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014