Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 01:47 PM   #136
pavemike
I fall down alot

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs
Soon! Gotta test it out you know?
If the quality is anything like the giantloop bag, I'm in (I've beat the piss out of that poor thing and she's still like new).
Old 07-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #137
killurtv
free range moron

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavemike
If the quality is anything like the giantloop bag, I'm in (I've beat the piss out of that poor thing and she's still like new).

I checked the web site this am, the Fandango Tank bag is there!! Looks really sweet, especially in Orange.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:39 PM   #138
quota
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
I received a Giant Loop last week. Everything was going well until I was trying to mount the heat shield. It was not going as well as I thought it should be. Time was not on my side since we were leaving on a trip the next morning. I finally called the number on the instructions and spoke with Dave. He gave me a couple of hints that really helped. Ended up leaving the next day on a 6-day loop that included some highway, but also 800+ miles of dirt.

I didn't have cell phone coverage very often, but at one point I did check my messages. There was actually one on there from Dave @ Giant Loop. He had called me back probably a couple of hours after I spoke with him. He was just calling to make sure that everything went fine with the installation.

Dave...
VERY cool of you to call back. Sorry I never heard the phone ring and didn't get your message until a few days later. The product worked out great. As soon as I figure out what went wrong with the bike and get it fixed, I'll be out on another giant dirt loop!

Great customer service and great product!

Mike

Old 08-01-2009, 04:29 PM   #139
snare
sittin and breathin

Oddometer: 244
I guess the Coyote is the new version...same 30 liter size as the Giant Loop but with the badass trucker's tarp material and waterproof zips like on the Great Basin.

I like it.

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/collect...yote-saddlebag

My fiance and I intend to eventually start traveling pretty much year round in the next year or two. We'd like to check out all of North and South America. We are looking for ways to set up our DR350 and Super Sherpa.

I think the Great Basin would offer us the room, but not sure if they'd be too big, really, for either of our bikes.

My other concern is security for those times we have to leave the gear on the bikes, such as spending a day in town, etc.

I'm thinking a product like a Pacsafe might be able to help. Any ideas which Pacsafe model? Did I hear that you guys might be working with Pacsafe on something just for this purpose?

I wish we could see the two types in person. Any dealers in WNC/GA/TN picking up your products in the near future?

Thanks. From here your products look incredible.

Camp Fire ! Blade: Surviving Knife Attacks
Old 08-03-2009, 06:32 PM   #140
quota
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Hey Mike - Glad to hear you got through the install process and are enjoying the kit on your DRZ! Now, what went wrong with the bike!?
Not sure what went wrong with the bike. It is at the shop. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but didn't want to buy some tools that I'd probably need as well as I wanted to ride it sooner than if I was fixing it!

I did have to remove my Giant Loop before I took it to the shop so it wouldn't be in the way of the mechanic. A few screw and removing a couple of pieces of plastic. Only took a few minutes...

Sounds like this new Coyote bag would not be screwed on and would come off and on much easier??? (not that is currently all that difficult)

quota screwed with this post 08-03-2009 at 08:35 PM
Old 08-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #141
windquest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
coyote vs giant loop

So other than material, what are the main differences between the original giant loop and the coyote model?
Old 08-03-2009, 10:22 PM   #142
Rootkiller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
I have some miles on my great basin(+-1200)now and have to say that this is the best system for dual sport riding ever,I forgot the pack was there when riding except when leaning way back to go over a downed tree(forgot the pack was there)and quickly readjusted and was over the tree.what a great system!!!!
Old 08-04-2009, 10:41 PM   #143
bpw
r65 PD

Oddometer: 195
SO just when I think I have found the perfect luggage set-up you guys go and make it WATERPROOF as well. Ah, the pain of the early adopter.

I raced an enduro the other day and didn't even bother to take off my original giant loop. Great seeing you guys are doing well enough to expand the product line up.

I have some tank panniers on my xr600r's 6 gallon dessert tank and really like the idea since they are less in the way than a tank bag and can carry a lot but they are pretty poor quality, would love to see you guys make some, or maybe a tank loop, kinda tank pannier/ tank bag combo?
Old 08-05-2009, 09:35 PM   #144
windquest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Good question - We listened very carefully to the feedback we received from users and potential customers. There were 3 design modifications that kept coming up:

1 - easy on, easy off - Originally, the primary concern was keeping the kit on the bike securely hence, the hardware. I struggled to defy the bolt-on solution as it truly is bombproof (if installed correctly!) and has many thousands of hard off-road use to prove that. The Coyote now has several thousand miles of gnarly abuse and if installed correctly does the job just as well but comes off in less than 30 seconds.

2 - Ingress/egress. Zippers are the weakest link in any gear chain and the Giant Loop original has burly #10 YKK zips that are just long enough to get all the needed gear inside plus a very strong compression strap on top of them. The Coyote has a #10 YKK waterproof rainbow zipper ($$$) that allows access to the entire inside a bit easier.

3 - Waterproof fabric - we are using the heaviest, most industrial fabric we could find. We cut it with scissors and are unable to tear it. NOT DRY BAG material, this what trucker tarps are made out of. Created to take everything commercial trucking delivers.

4 - Interior stuff sacks and compression straps. We went the extra distance and tailored these 3 stuff sacks (included) to fit the lower pannier areas and the sleeping bag.

5 - oh yeah, they come in four colors!

There's a ton of info here: www.giantloopmoto.com
Thank you very much for the quick and informative response! I will likely be ordering one soon for my XR650R... One other quick question, how does the tank bag sit on top of the gas cap? Does the vent line just get re-routed?
Thanks Jason
Old 08-05-2009, 09:45 PM   #145
Patrick_
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Hey guys. had a question if i may.

Ive been looking into the great basin bag for my 88 Tenere. After looking around, its looking by far the best option and while i don't usually like to buy things without at least looking at them in person first, the sheer amount of great reviews have me convinced.

However, i'm a tad worried about how well it will mount on my bike.
There's not much plastic behind the seat, and im hoping to run the bike without side covers if i can. From what i understand, the center of the bag mounts to the rear fender and the sides just hang down and are held taut by straps right? So technically i wouldnt need the sidevcovers to support the sides?

Cheers for any help on this.

Pat
Old 08-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #146
bpw
r65 PD

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Uh sorry about that. Even I didn't see that coming. We are working on all kinds of new stuff - stay tuned!
Can't wait to see whats next...

and I should mention, I raced an enduro a couple weeks ago and didn't even bother to remove the giant loop. scrunched down small it was a perfect place for a tube and a few tools. Never knew it was there and it survived way too many drops and crashes.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:42 PM   #147
BOSERO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme
Got a pic of an HP2 sporting one of these bags yet?
+1 on this. Am interested in one for the HP2 Enduro too.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:14 AM   #148
sandyman
the wasp

Oddometer: 39
+1 for a HP2
I have already ask the question...but no reply now

thanks for answer

fx
Old 08-11-2009, 06:50 AM   #149
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,554
You HP2 guys should just PM Wachs directly, he'll give you a timely answer. Probably just missed your query.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
Old 08-11-2009, 03:18 PM   #150
Milhaus
Made in Denmark

Oddometer: 3,010
I ordered my GiantLoop late last week. Had it on my doorstep yesterday afternoon and mounted last night!! Total turnaround of about 4 days!

So far...so good!

Closed Thread