Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 11:00 PM   #241
Nasty1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Hey Wachs

I have been reading about the GL and looking at your site....some nice kit you have there The trouble I am having over a possible purchase for my next bike is still the fixing method.

Your first incarnation was bolted up...but not quick release! Your second is pulled up with straps and easy to remove but maybe not so rigid!

So I got to thinking could the best of both worlds be Incorporated as an option to/along side the second generation model that is all strapped on? I am thinking of a base plate that is mounted similar to the first generation bolted up design that would allow the GL bag itself to be zipped to it...basically just like a lot of the quick release tank bags you see now.

This may prove too expensive and over complicated but just thinking a little out the box??

Keep up the good work

Adie
Old 04-06-2010, 06:40 AM   #242
mattc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
I was on the verge of ordering one this morning, but no more white???

Will white be available again anytime soon?

Thanks
Old 04-06-2010, 06:54 AM   #243
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,503
I have a question on carrying bladders.

I have a coyote and need to carry an extra 27-30 litres of fuel and 8 litres of water. I was thinking of carrying the water in 4 litre bladders at the bottom on each side.

The fuel is in 3 x 10 litre bladders. One behind me on top of the bag, it gets emptied first. The other two I was planning on lashing (using the straps) to sides of the coyote next to the bike. I would then use metre long zip ties to fix them through the corner holes over the seat of the bike.

does this sound like a plan or is there a better way?

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
Old 04-06-2010, 09:45 AM   #244
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoact
I have a question on carrying bladders.

I have a coyote and need to carry an extra 27-30 litres of fuel and 8 litres of water. I was thinking of carrying the water in 4 litre bladders at the bottom on each side.

The fuel is in 3 x 10 litre bladders. One behind me on top of the bag, it gets emptied first. The other two I was planning on lashing (using the straps) to sides of the coyote next to the bike. I would then use metre long zip ties to fix them through the corner holes over the seat of the bike.

does this sound like a plan or is there a better way?
The only problem with this is that the Coyote is waterprof, if the bladder breaks, you will soak everything in fuel/water.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
Old 04-06-2010, 12:21 PM   #245
Nasty1
Adventurer

Having re-read my comments and yours and thought a bit more about it is clear you are the expert I am not really sure what I was trying to achieve as listening to what you have said and looking at your strap design further there is not a lot more that could be done to improve the system. Once I source a XRR BRP here in the UK I will probably be looking to buy. I see you have UK agent now but may come direct.

Cheers
Adie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs
Thanks Adie - in my experience as a designer for alpine mountaineering gear and clothing, we learned that zippers are the 'weak link' in any truly high pe rformance piece of gear. That's why all of our saddlebags have a redundant compression strap. No matter how hard you crash, should the zipper blow, there is still a method for containing your stuff. So, to rely on a zipper to attach anything other than a tank bag (it sits in a very protected area) is risky. That is also why we spent the extra $ on custom YKK # 10 zippers. They are the burliest available and with proper maintenance can handle, dirt, dust and mud. There are more waterproof units available, like those found on dry suits but they are actually quite delicate and designed strictly for an aquatic environment.

The Coyote is not unlike a rubber raft - when it's properly filled, it is tailored to become its own structure. If the raft is only half-full it will still float but it's mushy and not as strong as it is filled tight.

Thanks again for your thoughts and input, we are constantly looking for ways to improve and appreciate the feedback!
Old 04-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #246
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,503
Quote:
The best way to carry fuel is in an approved fuel cell mounted to the bike (obviously). But we are consistently asked by Husky owners about packing fuel as their after market choices are limited. In the past, we packed a gallon in a fuel can in a backpack and after the first 40 -50 miles, dumped it in the gas tank. That sucks and is probably illegal. Since then, we've outfitted our bikes with 6+ gallon Acerbis desert tanks and even though they ride kinda weird when full, we've never had a fuel issue since.

We've heard about those bladders you guys have and that they are approved to carry gasoline but we don't have any experience with them. If you are able to get that going, please let us know how it works!
No worries. I'll go for a test ride in a couple of weeks and take some pics. The fuel bladder must go on the outside as the smell comes through. The big issue besides having them secure, is carrying an extra 32kg on the back of an already loaded bike

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
Old 04-06-2010, 08:36 PM   #247
mattc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
We could not sell any white units and now, all of a sudden, we are receiving request for that color! I have been using a white Coyote on our XR and it's great. Doesn't get nearly as hot in the desert sun and is really easy to see your stuff inside. With use (I never clean other than hosing it off) it acquires a kind of 'patina' not unlike a favorite leather jacket.

I'll know if we are going to produce any more white by the end of the month - stay tuned.
Thanks for the response, and please do let me know if they will be available.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:09 PM   #248
Jwats
Bike till u Die

Oddometer: 174
Gl

On our BAJA 2009 trip,1 rider had a GL bag it worked very well. this year in BAJA myself & another rider had GL bags. The bags we used are small & perfect for minimalist travel. There is a RR on this site. three wyoming boys in baja. Thanks for a great product.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #249
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,313
I saw the product in person at the SouthSound BMW vendor faire today. Looked great (yellow and black varieties were there along with the tank bag).
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 04-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #250
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,636
Aces! Bag worked great all weekend, several hundred miles, single track and a fair amount of drops, once in the water...everything inside was dry.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:23 PM   #251
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,270
Trying mine out for the first time this weekend. This thing holds a lot of stuff.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:53 AM   #252
Road Kill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
mix colours in GB bag and Fandango

G'day Wachs,

I want to order the Great Basin bag along with the Fandango tank bag. However, I want the Great Basin Bag in yellow and the Fandango bag in black. Is this possible?

Cheers
Old 04-22-2010, 04:57 AM   #253
Nasty1
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTucker
Trying mine out for the first time this weekend. This thing holds a lot of stuff.

Is that Trials tyre??

Adie
Old 04-22-2010, 08:23 PM   #254
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,159
I emailed them and got a phone call the next day.
The word "good" has many meanings. For example, if a man were to shoot his grandmother at a range of five hundred yards, I should call him a good shot, but not necessarily a good man. ~G.K. Chesterton
Old 04-22-2010, 09:40 PM   #255
Road Kill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Thanks guys. I've email them at their web site as well.
I'll patiently await their reply