User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #421
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,636
i will FINALLY get to use my Buckin Roll at LAB2V!!!

i got a MXC tank so i am good to go!

now..... what to put in it?
Old 01-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #422
FertileLies
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Buck-n-roll or tank bag?

I'm torn between the Buck-n-roll or the Fandango/Diablo tank bag. I've got a Clarke 4.3 tank, so it's "stump-like" but doesn't have the holes through it like the Acerbis Sahara does. The Clarke uses the original fairings and mounting the Buck to that doesn't seem like it would be as sturdy an attach point and might break something eventually? But I also read that that the tank bags aren't designed for the tanks with stump-like fillers. So my question is, what will work for me? What do you guys recommend? Or am I SOL?

Anyone have pictures of their XRR with this tank configuration with either the Buck or one of the tank bags?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #423
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by FertileLies View Post

Anyone have pictures of their XRR with this tank configuration with either the Buck or one of the tank bags?
Lucky for me (that's a joke) I don't have an XRR, but the seat/tank slope combination is very similar to my KTM- and here's an image.

I like the Diablo.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
Old 01-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #424
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by FertileLies View Post
I'm torn between the Buck-n-roll or the Fandango/Diablo tank bag. I've got a Clarke 4.3 tank, so it's "stump-like" but doesn't have the holes through it like the Acerbis Sahara does. The Clarke uses the original fairings and mounting the Buck to that doesn't seem like it would be as sturdy an attach point and might break something eventually? But I also read that that the tank bags aren't designed for the tanks with stump-like fillers. So my question is, what will work for me? What do you guys recommend? Or am I SOL?

Thanks in advance.
You'll probably want a Buck-n-Roll...

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
Old 01-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #425
FertileLies
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Buck-n-Roll it is

Thanks Fake and Brad. Brad, those last two pictures sold me on a Buck-n-Roll, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #426
mattc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
+1 on the BuckNRoll. Got one on my xrr with the bigass tank, and it is far superior to the wolfman I had on it before.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #427
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

+2 on the BuckIn Roll.

only fits the larger 6.6 tank on the KTM EXC. doesn't quite fit the MXC tank.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #428
killurtv
free range moron

Oddometer: 640
Is there anything new and exciting coming from Giantloop this year????? Looking forward to some new and cool stuff for the spring riding season.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #429
TierHawg
Herder of the J-Cats

Oddometer: 130
Not fitting My bike

I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a Giant Loop Mojavi bag for my WR250R. I am looking for a system to carry a tire kit, tools, 2 liters of fuel, etc., and thought the Mojavi would be the best option. After unpacking the bag and looking at the hardware, I'm stumped, and don't see how this will work with MY bike. The issues: 1) I have the OEM factory rear luggage rack, 2) Giant Loop has sewn the mounting hardware in place.

Google file pic of the rack:

After looking over the mounting method, I can see that Giant Loop intends the end user to use the gutter hooks and secure the bag to rear fender plastic. Unfortunately, with the OEM rack, I can't figure out a way to get the gutter hooks hooked up. Things would be easier, but the fact that the right-side hardware is sewn in place, is a deal breaker for me. Makes me wonder what they were thinking?

Anyone have any positive input on a work around? I am not taking off the rear rack or cutting any hardware off the Mojavi. I tried to move the bag forward and have it lay on top of the rear seat. It will mount this way, but the drape caused the 2 side pockets to fold over and makes it so fixed objects not longer fit the full length. I tried to bypass the gutter hook system and attach the bag to rear rack. The plastic buckle hardware won't fit between the rack and fender, and since it is sewn in place, I'm loosing options.

I intend to return the bag in the next few days. I had hoped to exchange it for a Coyote bag, but found out it has the exact same issue with the hardware sewn in place. I'm sure its a great bag for 97% of the riders out there, but so far, I'm stumped why Giant Loop would sew the hardware in place so there is only one way to mount their system.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #430
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by TierHawg View Post
I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a Giant Loop Mojavi bag for my WR250R. I am looking for a system to carry a tire kit, tools, 2 liters of fuel, etc., and thought the Mojavi would be the best option. After unpacking the bag and looking at the hardware, I'm stumped, and don't see how this will work with MY bike. The issues: 1) I have the OEM factory rear luggage rack, 2) Giant Loop has sewn the mounting hardware in place.

Google file pic of the rack:

After looking over the mounting method, I can see that Giant Loop intends the end user to use the gutter hooks and secure the bag to rear fender plastic. Unfortunately, with the OEM rack, I can't figure out a way to get the gutter hooks hooked up. Things would be easier, but the fact that the right-side hardware is sewn in place, is a deal breaker for me. Makes me wonder what they were thinking?

Anyone have any positive input on a work around? I am not taking off the rear rack or cutting any hardware off the Mojavi. I tried to move the bag forward and have it lay on top of the rear seat. It will mount this way, but the drape caused the 2 side pockets to fold over and makes it so fixed objects not longer fit the full length. I tried to bypass the gutter hook system and attach the bag to rear rack. The plastic buckle hardware won't fit between the rack and fender, and since it is sewn in place, I'm loosing options.

I intend to return the bag in the next few days. I had hoped to exchange it for a Coyote bag, but found out it has the exact same issue with the hardware sewn in place. I'm sure its a great bag for 97% of the riders out there, but so far, I'm stumped why Giant Loop would sew the hardware in place so there is only one way to mount their system.
I have thousands of miles with mine on a WR250X with a rear rack.
Loosen the straps all the way and either attach to the rear fender under the rack or zip tie them to the rack.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #431
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

you can bend the hooks either to open them up or bend them to make them smaller.

I've had friends on WR250 have no problems with the MoJavi
Old 03-31-2012, 10:27 AM   #432
TierHawg
Herder of the J-Cats

Edited.

Okay, I never claimed to be the smartest guy around, and I tend to prove that quite often. I guess a good night's sleep helped, cause I'm able to get this to work. And it was easy. Not where I wanted the bag to sit, but still easy. So, I once again embarrass myself in public.

TierHawg screwed with this post 03-31-2012 at 11:02 AM Reason: Got it to work!
Old 03-31-2012, 12:35 PM   #433
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,625
Just want to give Harold and Dave at Giant Loop a tip of the hat. I started off running the original GL bag years ago and ran it for a few years. Here it is getting gas during a 3 country, month long ride, at Cambodia's version of the Arco gas/ AMPM mini mart. I used Voile straps to strap it on and it was great. It removed even quicker than my new model Coyote bag with the straps. The kids were marveling not at the bike but at the GL bag, honest. All were complimenting the bombproof nature of the bag.

Fast forward a few years and now enjoying GL's later water resistent, big zipper variation which is marvelous.

It's been used on all my multi week trips and is proving, once again perfectly reliable.

Since i remove the bag a lot on my trips I wanted it as easily removable as my DirtBagz saddlebags that removed in 30 seconds.

What I ended up doing was zip tying to each side of the frame where you fasten the the GL strap, a one inch wide steel (not Chinese cheap aluminum) carabiner. This allows me to simply loosen the strap and slip it out of the carabiner instead of having to undo the strap completely from the frame.

No pics of this since my computer got stolen, this is the only pic i can find easily. you can barely make out the 'biner where the subframe connects to the main frame spar.

Two large zip ties hold the the 'biner to the frame. Its worked for over a year with this method attached to my 525 and YZF 250. YMMV.

Has anybody had any luck with running the Coyote on a KTM 690 with the rear mounted fuel tank? Got a friend thats interested but worried about having to remove or loosen the bag evey time we get fuel.

A special thanks to Dave and the crew at GL for producing a well made product.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #434
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
ftb,

Ahhh, like the biner approach!

edit:here is a link to coyote on a 690 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmxWgez0vNc
and from their blog: http://giantloopmoto.blogspot.com/20...-ktm-690e.html

I have been researching 690s lately.....

SpaceManSpiff screwed with this post 03-31-2012 at 01:22 PM
Old 03-31-2012, 01:08 PM   #435
TierHawg
Herder of the J-Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post

What I ended up doing was zip tying to each side of the frame where you fasten the the GL strap, a one inch wide steel (not Chinese cheap aluminum) carabiner. This allows me to simply loosen the strap and slip it out of the carabiner instead of having to undo the strap completely from the frame.
That is a great idea! That is something that I could make work for the set-up on my bike. Run the carabiner thru the rack, and the straps thru the carabiner.
Closed Thread