Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #481
syspig
Dog Scratcher

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by killurtv View Post
As far as I know these two dry bags will be offered as add ons only. They are true roll top dry bags, I have had the Great Basin Dry Bag for a few years now, works great.
Yup, those have been around a while now...but that's not what I was inquiring about.

GL mentioned above that waterproof stuff bags were coming that replaced the internal fitted, non-waterproof bags - at least, that was my understanding. For me, this would make a near-perfect product much closer to perfect...
Old 08-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #482
lukeinlondon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
anyone got pics of one fitted to a 950SM? my only concern is pushing the plastics onto the exhausts.. :(
Old 08-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #483
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme View Post
Im starting to think this was just a terrible hoax

This one?

Not a hoax, but they are taking a while because they wanted to be sure to do them right and they were really what they needed to be before they hit the market. This is the 2nd. gen. proto I have and they are fantastic! I've been told they have changed/improved from what I have too!!
Hopefully there will be more definitive info soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syspig
Sent an email a while back, didn't get a response - trying here.

Are these waterproof stuff sucks available yet? Saw no mention of them at the GL site.

If so - how much? And, is it anticipated they'll replace the existing stuff sacks or will they continue to be an add-on?
Surprised you didn't get a response! Here's what I know:

Not available quite yet...supposed to be in production now. They are designed to replace the current inner bags (pods) but I don't know if it's been decided yet whether you'll be able to but the Great Basin/Coyote with them or they will only be available separately. Pricing hasn't been set because typically it's not known until the actual production run is finished. We'll have some info shortly hopefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeinlondon
anyone got pics of one fitted to a 950SM? my only concern is pushing the plastics onto the exhausts.. :(
I don't know if you mean the Coyote or the Great Basin but my guess would be that yes you'll need to use two of the Hot Springs Heat Shields. They both come with one so you'll only need to get one more. The plastics appear to be the same as the SE.

Dave

www.motooverland.com

toowheels screwed with this post 08-27-2012 at 12:21 PM
Old 08-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #484
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,297
I know of a Super Duke that wears a Great Basin at times, heat shields on both mufflers and no issues.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #485
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,581
Toowheels

Thats the one thanks for the pic. I can't wait to touchy and feely I need a set of throw overs. I currently have a great basin I like but this might suit me better.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Old 08-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #486
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Sweet, hurry and get the new bags so I can buy the Great Basin from ya
Old 08-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #487
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
Sweet, hurry and get the new bags so I can buy the Great Basin from ya

it's gonna smell girly

Old 08-19-2012, 07:20 AM   #488
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

It would smell like mud in short order after being on my bike.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #489
Mr. Fisherman
oneandahalfassed

Oddometer: 10,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme View Post
Thats the one thanks for the pic. I can't wait to touchy and feely I need a set of throw overs. I currently have a great basin I like but this might suit me better.

http://giantloopmoto.blogspot.com/#!...-panniers.html

Old 08-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #490
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,700
I really like how those have 2 lash points to hold that bag in place. I have a Sealine dry bag. I lash it in the same place on my Coyote but the inner gear ,on both bags, compresses over time and I need to tighten up the straps all the time as the dry bag starts to move. I always worry i'll loose my dry bag, but with that one there is no way to loose it.

Quote:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
Old 08-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #491
eakins
Butler Maps

are side cover stand-off racks needed with these or just a hot spring on the muffler side? any shots from the top where they go over the bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post
This one?

Not a hoax but they are taking a while because they wanted to be sure to do them right and they were really what they needed to be before they hit the market. This is the 2nd. gen. proto I have and they are fantastic! I've been told they have changed/improved from what I have too!!
Hopefully there will be more definitive info soon.

Dave
Old 08-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #492
killurtv
free range moron

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
are side cover stand-off racks needed with these or just a hot spring on the muffler side? any shots from the top where they go over the bike?
No Giant loop gear needs racks, I think Dave would slit his wrists if that were a requirement. Just the heat sheild is all you need. Light and easy. I saw these not long ago, SUPER SWEET!!! Can't wait to get em.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #493
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 921
Quote:
No Giant loop gear needs racks, I think Dave would slit his wrists if that were a requirement. Just the heat sheild is all you need. Light and easy. I saw these not long ago, SUPER SWEET!!! Can't wait to get em.
What he said

No racks needed. Lighter, narrower and nothing to break. They were working with the idea of a longer version of their Hot Springs Heat Shield. I've been using a stock one though and it just works on my bike.

The shot on the GL's blog is about as good as this one:

It's a more stable system than other saddlebags I've used and there are daisy chains up top to facilitate lashing stuff on.

Dave

www.motooverland.com

toowheels screwed with this post 08-27-2012 at 12:22 PM
Old 08-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #494
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,591
waterproof bags for the Coyote

Greetings,

I've been thrashing about with Giantloop bags for a few years now and enjoying the ease of mounting of these bags. One of the downside is as we know the bag is not waterproof.

Crossings such as these or monsoon downpours will have water leak past the zipper and through the seams.

I have about 3 inches of water in the bottom of the bags after crossings like this. interesting as it would leak past the zipper/seams but yet not drain out the bottom and leave a nice puddle in the bottom. I may put an 1/8" hole in the bottom to facilitate draining of the bags.

Since I ride with a hammock and down quilts I need to keep my stuff waterproof. I keep my clothes and sleeping equipment in dry bags. I'm testing two designs and wanted to give my feedback for others.

First is the Sea to Summit E-vent compression bag

I used the size large as I calced thas this would be the largest size diameter wise to fit inside the coyote bag. I used smaller diameter compression bags last year and it made a hard sausage like object to pack that did not allow easy packing to fill the rest of the room in the Coyote. So I desired a bag that would fill the full diameter of the bag this time.

My complete Hammock w/bugnet, tarp, and down top and bottom quilts stuffed into the bag and compressed down to its minimum size of:

8" tall

By 9 " wide

The coyote bag has a strange shape at the bottom that a normal dry bag will not fit ideally. GL's dry bags will address this situation but were not available when i was in the states. I also prefer compression bags to minimize space and not sure if their bags were going to have that feature or not. The gap left in the bottom of the bag is

4 1/2"

and about 4 inches wide

What I do is simnply stuff the bottom with packaged food or anything that fits in the nook well. My trips are at least multi day to multi week so always have dried fruit, oatmeal, rice or other stuff that fits well in the gap.

The other bag i tried was the Exped Shrink bag.

I used the yellow bag which is 22L

Packed with the same sleeping equipment it measured

18" long

and about 9" wide

By 6 inches tall. Its a more malleable load to work with which may or may not be a good thing depending on your packing situation. It has the advantage of a large opening top that makes grabbing things from inside a lot easier than a normal compression dry bag. However it does not compress near as small a package as a typical compression bag no matter what the manufacture claims. It has a purge valve to release the air as you compress the bag with your body weight. However once compressed I noticed the down puffing up again by a bit. Not really efficient in my eyes for what I was trying to accomplish. A lot of people love these bags but I decided to keep my sleep gear in the Event bag due to the amount of down i wanted compressed. I use the Exped bag for my clothes since they don't compress all that much and pack minimal no matter how long the trip. I only pack one long traveler pant that converts to shorts, long sleeve thermal top, capilene t- shirt, down vest and two pair of undies and socks It packs quite small that I can then store my complete tool kit, tire tools, pump, and spares next to the Exped bag. One side of my GL has the clothes and all the tools and spares and the other side of the bag food and camping equipment.

I love compression bags for their efficient use of space and finding the Large Event bag was a perfect fit for the Coyote with the Exped Shrink bag handling the clothes. It keeps my loads from filling the GL bag. Here packed for four days camping in the hills.

Hope this info helps other bastards that are trying to keep their loads small.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #495
eakins
Butler Maps

Took my DR on a nice weekend dual-sport ride.

Coyote worked perfect and survived a big digger with nary a mark on it.
Basically landed hard on the left side on a rock w/ the lower bag taking the direct hit. Looking at bike on its side on the rock, I figure the Coyote is gonna look ugly after this...but to my surprise no damage.

Closed Thread