User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #511
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
True, but as the list of dealers is long, and I'm sure not all of them have them in stock, can you tell us the names of a few US dealers how do have them in stock?

ktm950se
Old 08-31-2012, 01:56 AM   #512
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Great news on the new dry bags for the stuff that really needs to be packed completely waterproof!

Still loving the Coyote and Diablo setup on my Berg, just took it for a ride around the Alps. I can't even feel that it's there except when I slide my butt all the way back on the seat and use it as a brace when doing high speed runs. Works awesome for that!

Old 09-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #513
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafofOregon View Post
Ready to ship to your local dealer!

They're already on their way to Moto Overland in Canada btw.

You'll start to see them show up in our Canadian dealers soon!

Feel free to email me if you have any questions:
dave(at)motooverland(dot)com

Thanks,

Dave

www.motooverland.com

toowheels screwed with this post 09-01-2012 at 12:29 PM
Old 09-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #514
syspig
Dog Scratcher

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Great Basin Dry Pods (set of 5)
MSRP $140 USD
Ouch...no thanks.

Dry sacks, 2 gallon Ziplocs and/or trash bags - here I come.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #515
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by syspig View Post
Ouch...no thanks.

Dry sacks, 2 gallon Ziplocs and/or trash bags - here I come.

not quite the same. You get what you pay for when it comes to keeping your gear dry man.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #516
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by n16ht5 View Post

Klone peak at night, then rode home 3hrs away. A few crashed included.

Good stuff
Good stuff indeed! Awesome pic!!
Is that a UFO up there

Dave

www.motooverland.com
Old 09-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #517
syspig
Dog Scratcher

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by n16ht5 View Post
not quite the same. You get what you pay for when it comes to keeping your gear dry man.
Sorry, no - I can carry far more gear completely waterproof for less than half the cost of this solution using quality stuff from Ortlieb or others. However one wishes to look at it, the fact remains - one now needs to pay close to six bills to get 50L of dry storage with a Great Basin.

For soft gear, that's simply a ton of money per liter. To put the cost in perspective...the price per liter for Jesse Luggage (including mounts) is almost a wash with a Great Basin + waterproof liners. Great Basin: $579/50L. Jesse Odyssey II's: $1280/105L. Certainly very different designs for very different needs, but both are made in the USA and you can't convince me hard and soft bags cost the same per liter to manufacture.

The premium is being paid (by me, anyway) for the design - nothing else. I could barely justify paying for the bag itself - no way will I be forking out another $150 to make it waterproof.

syspig screwed with this post 09-04-2012 at 10:01 PM
Old 09-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #518
OlafofOregon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Wink Dry Pods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm950se View Post
Are these on the website to order?

ktm950se
Great Basin Dry Pods
http://www.giantloopmoto.com/collect...basin-dry-pods

Coyote Dry Pods
http://www.giantloopmoto.com/collect...oyote-dry-pods
Old 09-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #519
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,187
Quote:
Sorry, no - I can carry far more gear completely waterproof for less than half the cost of this solution using quality stuff from Ortlieb or others. However one wishes to look at it, the fact remains - one now needs to pay close to six bills to get 50L of dry storage with a Great Basin.

For soft gear, that's simply a ton of money per liter. To put the cost in perspective...the price per liter for Jesse Luggage (including mounts) is almost a wash with a Great Basin + waterproof liners. Great Basin: $579/50L. Jesse Odyssey II's: $1280/105L. Certainly very different designs for very different needs, but both are made in the USA and you can't convince me hard and soft bags cost the same per liter to manufacture.

The premium is being paid (by me, anyway) for the design - nothing else. I could barely justify paying for the bag itself - no way will I be forking out another $150 to make it waterproof.
good point. I have always used SeattleSports dry bags
Old 09-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #520
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attico View Post
That's exactly what I'm talking about. It would be nice if the straps holding the dry bag were sewn on the bottom of the mojavi rather than through the loops on the top (where the pouch is fastened)

It would hit you in the butt, but isn't the same scenario as the coyote.
Similar scenario.
Looking at Teamftb's coyote setup, it appears he packs most of his gear in the sides of the coyote and keeps the center section low. Those side sections of the Coyote will hold a lot more gear down low compared to the Mojavi.

However, if like you, I already had the Mojavi, I'd be looking for ways to accessorize it for longer trips rather than fork out another $330 for a coyote that isn't even water proof unless you pay another $100 for the dry bag inserts !

Re adding a bigger center bag to the Mojavi, I think there are better options than the GL dry bags.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #521
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,192
maybe Giant Loop can look into a 2nd version of the bags with regular stuff sacks deleted and only including these new ones to lower the total price of both products. this of course is a new purchase option and thus those with existing bags have to weight the price vrs design and come up what works best for them.

i seam sealed my bag and the existing stuff sacks use some kind of coated fabric. between those 2 things my gear is staying dry enough. taking the time to coat the seams is key to keeping most all of the water out. I think wachs said there was a technical issue taping the seams or they would have.

if you want to take it to the ultimate level of waterproofing and have bags sized right for your bag then i guess ya gotta pay. it's cool they did took the next step and did this. in the end soft luggage is desired by many, even if the is price equals, to hard luggage for where and how they ride.

cheers, bill

Quote:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
Old 09-06-2012, 05:18 AM   #522
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,621
[QUOTE=team ftb;19478740]
Quote:
Ready to ship to your local dealer!

[/QUOTE

Are these bags form fitted to dovetail into the bottom of the Coyote bag or are they regular shaped dry bags?
Nice to see the shaped bags become a reality.

Seeing as though GL prides themselves on designing and utilizing gear suited to minimalist travel I find it strange that they did not include compression straps in the design to aid in minimalizing the load.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #523
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,520
[QUOTE=team ftb;19531544]
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post

Seeing as though GL prides themselves on designing and utilizing gear suited to minimalist travel I find it strange that they did not include compression straps in the design to aid in minimalizing the load.

i guess you could stuff your crap in a compression sack then drop it into these bags
Old 09-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #524
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,192
[QUOTE=team ftb;19531544]
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post

they stuck with the original fitted shape of where they fit in the bag.

you could get some lash straps and wrap those around the body if you need to make it smaller and thus open up more room in your main bag.

you could also get a correctly size sleeping bag compression kit and squish these bags tighter too.

in the end, GL sizes their inner bags to fit quickly & perfectly in their bags and any shape change would alter that goal
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
Old 09-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #525
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,613
Any time frame on the new saddle bags? I have a Mexico trip comming up in November and need some luggage.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Closed Thread