User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #61
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,460
Does anyone who has one of these either have, or have access to, an 800GS? Wondering how it matches up with the funky tail end/tank...

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
Old 01-17-2009, 02:19 AM   #62
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,662
How much for the one with the sand in it?
Old 01-18-2009, 05:43 PM   #63
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,819
Any fitment on a BMW G650X Challange?
Old 01-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #64
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,460
Thanks for the quick PM reply, Wachs. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
Old 01-20-2009, 08:24 AM   #65
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs
I'm workin' on it!
Sweet - thanks!
Old 01-23-2009, 01:58 AM   #66
olec
Rookie

Oddometer: 273
SuperEnduro

Wachs,

I see you're working on other models as well. But what about the SuperEnduro? Shouldn't be very different from one of the smaller bikes like the EXC's ?
Old 01-23-2009, 07:00 AM   #67
sandyman
the wasp

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme
Need one for the HP2 please
Yes what about the HP2, please
regards
FX
Old 01-29-2009, 09:31 PM   #68
JohnnieWinona
ol'cowboy

Oddometer: 30
i was wondering how this might work on my ktm 690 enduro, fuel filler, high pipe?
Old 01-31-2009, 09:35 PM   #69
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,652
Wachs - First of all a tip of the hat to you for designing an absolutely bombproof piece of gear. As a rock climber, back country skier, and off road enthusiast I really appreciate the quality of fabrics and fastener components used in the GL bags. Awesome shit!!!

I've used my DirtBagz for over 20,000KM's of off road abuse in Laos, Cambodia and Thailand without too much issue. One weakness is they flop around a bit and have finally torn the female sleeve that fit over the hoop on the rack. Can see them moving in this pic:

Plus an exhaust leak melted the plastic adjustment buckles on one side so no adjustment anymore. Your GL bag will eliminate this weakness thankfully. When I left the states you were just designing the bag and it was not in production yet. Glad to see it come to fruition.

Question: On a typical two week trip on the EXC half my nights wil be in guest houses and half camping. Wondering if you may be missing out on orders from people who would like the option of getting their stuff off the bike easy. Is there any way to mount the bag so that the straps secure the bag to the bike but also allow the bags to be easily removed from the bike w/out having to remove the nuts? Or an easier solution would be just one long zipper w/two zipper pulls and I can just fab up an inner bag that yanks out easy. Thinking out loud here.

I know my suggestions are not needed on rides that only involve camping but wondering if there are other riders out there that do rides that also include the guest house/motel stopovers also, that would appreciate a way to get the load off the bike and into a room easier? Maybe some additional sales to be had with that market niche. Any ideas on achieving this I can do my self or is GL got anything in the works that addresses this issue?

Once again awesome design and back in the states next month to resupply and pick up a GL bag if I can make it work.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:10 PM   #70
FOCKER
Northwest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb
Question: On a typical two week trip on the EXC half my nights wil be in guest houses and half camping. Wondering if you may be missing out on orders from people who would like the option of getting their stuff off the bike easy. Is there any way to mount the bag so that the straps secure the bag to the bike but also allow the bags to be easily removed from the bike w/out having to remove the nuts?...
Can I field this one Dave?

I've been toying with the idea of a quick release. If you use one like the pic I posted below you should still have the piece of mind that the unit won't release on its own because the actuator is counter sunk. I have yet to mount mine but I will let you know of my encounters.

Something like this would work as well...but I would replace the cotter pin with a key chain ring.
It would be more work to take off than the style above...But less time than using tools to remove bolts.

There are a variety of styles out there.

FOCKER screwed with this post 01-31-2009 at 10:19 PM
Old 01-31-2009, 11:37 PM   #71
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieWinona
i was wondering how this might work on my ktm 690 enduro, fuel filler, high pipe?
The work greath ,i have theme on my 690 you have to flip the bag for gas up

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
Old 02-02-2009, 02:51 AM   #72
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Focker - Love the name . I feel those quick release bolts may prove to be more hassle than they are worth. I would worry if they are mounted with the activation button mounted on the inside of the bag it could be accidently released by my toolkit, tent, stove, etc bumping it through the whoops, bumps and rocks. If the bolt were mounted on the inside of the plastic access to the buttons would be an issue. The holding capability of the quick release also needs to be confirmed it could hold with the lateral loads it would be taking on the dirt bike.

The studs and key chain rings I thought about already and fear they might not get a snug enough fit to keep the plastic from ripping.

I feel the simplest solution is to utilize the straps GL uses to compress the load. If two of those were mounted each side of the bike much like the bolt mounts, and one or two on the rear fender, then the straps could compress and secure the load to the bike. The webbing and metal buckles they use for their straps are plenty strong enough to secure the load assuming the mounting of the straps to the plastic is done correctly. Unless I am overlooking something and my idea is hair brained this seems a simple solution to achieve quick release capability. Instead of mounting a nut and bolt through the plastic you would mount straps to the plastic. On my 525EXC there are even exhaust bolt mounts and side panel bolt mounts to take advantage of for a secure mounting method.

Roll out of your sleeping bag or hotel bed, pack your GL bag, walk it over to the bike and throw it on. Six straps premounted on the bike are there to compress the load and tie it to the bike. Quick removal by simply releasing the six cam buckles. Removal would take under 10 seconds.

Love to hear Daves opinion on if this would work or not.

team ftb screwed with this post 02-02-2009 at 03:02 AM
Old 02-02-2009, 07:32 PM   #73
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs
Oh - hadn't read the whole thing. There's a guy in Utah that has these Voile straps, he cut slots in his plastic and attaches individual bags to the machine. (Can't find his report from last fall dang it.) Then he can also remove the straps, tool-less. That's the thing, what do you do with the straps?
Dave, are you thinking about these guys?
Old 02-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #74
FOCKER
Northwest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb
...I feel those quick release bolts may prove to be more hassle than they are worth...
You're probably right. I like your zip off idea...It would look kinda goofy when not using the GL though.

Have to wait and see what Dave's cookin up.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:30 PM   #75
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Dave- Can't wait to see if you figure out something that works with Dzus fasteners for a quick release alternative. Good on you for looking into quick release ideas .

As you stated:
Quote:
That's the thing, what do you do with the straps?
Having the straps mounted on the bike is a bit of an eyesore if the bags are removed off the bike. However no more of an eyesore than soft bag brackets that are bolted in place ie DirtBagz, once the bags are removed.

If using the Voile straps such as the gents in your linked RR then its simply a matter of holes drilled in the plastic and threading the straps through. So far this seems the most practical solution I believe if looking for quick release capabilities.

Curious if other posters have pragmatic ideas for quick release using the GL bag.

Closed Thread