User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 07:09 AM   #121
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Oddometer: 2,447
Haven't seen this asked yet , I have a DR650 with a ebay bbq rack on it , will either bag work with that rack?
Honestly , I have thought of getting rid of it and putting a regular rack on it because I really don't need it , but if I could use this without removing it , that would be cool.That rack actually serves as a crash guard for the rear blinkers!
Old 05-08-2009, 08:12 AM   #122
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 894
Giant Loop on a 690 Enduro

Hey Dave I hope you dont mind me posting this in your thread but I have had plenty of questions and posted some stuff in the KTM 690 monster. Thought it may help some to see it here also. If Im wrong give me a pm and Ill remove it

If you can get your gear down to the size that Dave has on his site it is GREAT. I have to have a bit more stuff like air pad, food, coffee pot, blah blah blah. I found it worked just fine on my 2 week trip camping . I did use a sealine bag on the very back of the bike for the sleeping pad and cook stove and fleece. It does stay put and has no worries. I will def use it for a overnighter or 4 dayer but will probably buy the Great Basin to have for the longer trips. I also use the GiantLoop on my Husaberg so it does double duty.
The only improvement to the GL bag I can see after some real world testing is 2" longer zippers to make it easy to load your gear. It is a bomb proof set up.
BTW it only took about 5 minutes to remove completely from the bike and you can hardly see the mounting holes.

Here is a pic fully loaded..... way too much stuff but we got snowed on and it was hot lol

I had exped mat fleece and jetboil group stove in duffel, sleeping bag , food , cofee press , booze ,clothes , tools, firstaid kit , shaving kit , tire crap, and grill in giant loop. Tank panniers had water and rain pants,extra gloves.

I was asked by Pawel how the Giant Loop bag worked on the 690 and how I attached it
Here are some pics

I used the side paned bolt on the right side forward hole

Use the supplied button head screw for the right rear side mount hole

but install from the back the button head never left a mark on the tank after 1300 rough miles

instead of using bolts to secure the rear of the bag I used the straps around the rack. You could also use the handles to do the same

access to the tank is easy by loosening the strap.
The left side is self explanatory. If I had known it would be so easy to get to the fuel tank ( I mounted the bag before I got the different tank cap) I would have mounted the bag a bit more to the rear and had more room on the seat.

Hope that help with the questions Pawel
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
Old 05-08-2009, 02:50 PM   #123
ironmtnracing
MotoQuest Seattle

Oddometer: 689
Great Service!

Hey,

I just wanted to post about my positive experience.

I placed my order via email and within 30 minutes received a call from Harold with a couple questions. Couple questions turned into an awesome 20 minute chat.

Very stand up group of folks! Looking forward to getting my bag installed.

Thanks Giant Loop!
Old 05-12-2009, 10:38 PM   #124
bpw
r65 PD

Oddometer: 209
Just wanted to say I've had my giant loop on the Xr600r for a while now and it is great. Been doing lots of day riding lately and love that I can just cinch it down empty and not even know its there, but still have room to pick things up, stuff an extra jacket etc.

Raced my first enduro last weekend and left the bags on, never knew they where there, until I needed some of my tools I had stored inside.

This thing is made far better than any other moto gear I have seen, I can tell you guys didn't cut any corners on the spec, I know big zippers and metal buckles are all $$ but it sure is nice to see someone building the best they can. Maybe tank panniers next? would love a well thought out waterproof set.

Thanks for having the guts to try and make something different, good luck.

Ben

not affiliated, never met the guy etc, just happy with the bags.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:06 PM   #125
ironmtnracing
MotoQuest Seattle

Oddometer: 689
Just did my first shakedown

And it was a total sucess. Rode my 525 in very technical single track and found the bag to be no problem and even appreciated it when it came to climbing steep hills as it would hold you in the seat.

Really looking forward to giving it a real world work out in June. I'll post up my impressions after I get back.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:24 PM   #126
sinuhexavier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
This looks like the perfect solution for my 625 SXC any problems fitting?

Twitter: sinuhexavier Instagram: sinuhe xavier

2010 Triumph Scrambler - 2012 Triumph 800xc
Old 07-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #127
BAGSTR
BAGSTR

Oddometer: 559
Day Loop?

Wachs,

Any thought to making a smaller "day ride" Loop. Just large enough for a jacket, a few tools and lunch. I have not seen you Giant in person, but it looks like it could support an overnight, like your recent trip to Nevada. ( Fun Report)
Old 07-05-2009, 09:47 AM   #128
leonphelps
TAT/Prudhoe Bay

Oddometer: 1,049
Ordered mine last night at 2am....its dangerous to be awake late at night with a credit card
Old 07-06-2009, 06:44 AM   #129
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,057
Thought I would post up a couple pics of my Giant Loop setup on my XRR. I've had the Giant Loop for a while now and just haven't mounted it yet, we are doing the OBCDR this summer and a couple overnight trips coming up so it was time to get it all set up.

I'm really impressed with the setup! It really didn't look that big and I was wondering if I was going to get all my stuff in the bag but it really holds a lot more than you think once you start packing.

Here's a couple shots of my gear on the ground and on the bike.

Here's my gear all ready to be packed up. Enough to last a few days.

All packed on the bike and ready to roll. My sleeping bag and tent are in seperate dry bags and strapped to the Giant Loop. The straps on the Giant Loop are top notch and very heavy duty, they hold the extra two dry bags very secure. The food is in my backpack, everything else is inside the Giant Loop!

Can't wait to hit the trails coming up, should be a sweet setup for out on the trails.

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Old 07-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #130
Rootkiller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Hey guys,
I am wondering if a Big Agnes hog park will fit in the Great Basin center bag?
Old 07-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #131
leonphelps
TAT/Prudhoe Bay

Got mine in today, UPS. Looks pretty good. I tried it out with the Nomadic rack installed but it got in the way so I took the rack off. Should work out nice for my TAT ride in September:) Pics to follow when fully installed on my WR250F...
Old 07-13-2009, 05:46 PM   #132
leonphelps
TAT/Prudhoe Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy
Thought I would post up a couple pics of my Giant Loop setup on my XRR. I've had the Giant Loop for a while now and just haven't mounted it yet, we are doing the OBCDR this summer and a couple overnight trips coming up so it was time to get it all set up.

I'm really impressed with the setup! It really didn't look that big and I was wondering if I was going to get all my stuff in the bag but it really holds a lot more than you think once you start packing.

Here's a couple shots of my gear on the ground and on the bike.

Here's my gear all ready to be packed up. Enough to last a few days.

All packed on the bike and ready to roll. My sleeping bag and tent are in seperate dry bags and strapped to the Giant Loop. The straps on the Giant Loop are top notch and very heavy duty, they hold the extra two dry bags very secure. The food is in my backpack, everything else is inside the Giant Loop!

Can't wait to hit the trails coming up, should be a sweet setup for out on the trails.

Hodakaguy
So what actually fit "IN" the bag is this?

Attachment 210990

leonphelps screwed with this post 12-13-2010 at 12:13 PM
Old 07-13-2009, 06:27 PM   #133
Rootkiller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs
Hot off the trail, here's the answer to your Great Basin question from another satisfied customer in Washington State:

"I own one of the original GL saddlebags that I use on my 525XC/XR650R, I brutalized that bag and it just keeps coming back for more. Now being a complete believer in “Go light, Go fast” philosophy, there was no way I could continue to ride my 990 with panniers. I ordered my Great Basin Saddlebag Wednesday night and by Friday afternoon, I had the instructions in hand performing the 1 minute install. The Great Basin has well thought out items like the top case and bottle compartments and just as the original saddlebag, durability is not a factor. But the greatest feature is how quickly you can remove/install, it is literally less than a minute. Also, being “big boned”, I was worried that my larger sleeping bag would not fit in the storage compartment, no problem, room to spare. I was worried that it may cramp my riding position a touch, again no problem. Actually on one long paved section I did this weekend, I moved the bag forward so I had a little backrest! Plenty of storage space as well, for weekend getaways there is no need for a backpack (hydration pack only) and your tank bag is freed up to be the cooler at that last stop before camping for the night."

Thank you Sir!
I am ordering right now.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:32 PM   #134
YamWOW!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
GL on the WR250R

Very happy with the Giant Loop. No brackets to brake.

Here is my packing list for living off the bike.

Big Agnes Lost Ranger Sleeping Bag 15 F (Dry bag on back of Loop)
Cabelas XPG 1 man tent (back of loop)
Thermo Reactor Liner (Brings bag another 15 F down and keeps bag clean)
Water Bag (place boiling water in bag before you go to bed will keep you warm all night. Cool trick the water will still be hot next morning.)
GSI Soloist cook set bag holds water also. Inside of pan lighter, TP, insect spray and spork.
Katadyn Hiker-Pro water filter
Big Agnes Sleeping Pad (insulated and acts as the bottom of the bag)
Camelbak (not in Loop)
Slime Air Pump
Extra moto pants, shirt and glove.
Socks, underwear and fleece pullover.
Tooth brush etc.
MSR WhisperLite Stove
MSR fuel Bottle (side of bike on stock tool strap for stove or in Emergency for reserve bike fuel)
Shoes small packing size
Tools: Stock tool roll,Allan wrench, tire spoon/axle wrench, spare bolts, brake/clutch levers, spare hand guard hardware, chain link, chain press, water pump cover/hose. One member in party carries tube and another tire iron. Long dusty trip carry extra filter.
Food: Dry meals, water add only meals, tuna/chicken in bags.
I even carried 4 16 ounce Beers in the Loop and cooled them in the creek.
Debit,cash and license.
Small chair (nice in desert)

Check out the WR250R/X forum: CLICK HERE
Check out the Pacific NW DualSport Forum: CLICK HERE
KTM 530 EXC-R
BMW F800GS
Old 07-14-2009, 10:23 AM   #135
pavemike
I fall down alot

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs
wait till you see the tank bag I'm working on for your Acerbis tank!

ohhhh...got any sneak peaks of this? Sounds like I may have to send more money your way.