User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2004, 08:15 PM   #1
lacrestadr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Pissed oil cap stripped??

Oil leaking a bit out of the filler hole, I go to tighten it and it just spins, in either direction! It won't unscrew or tighten, ie "stripped"? The bike was just serviced and that included an oil change. Dealer is 120 miles away. It's an aftermarket cap, on a 2000 GS. Help! Thanks
lacrestadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 08:20 PM   #2
BUBB
lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer: 20,676
you recon it still has the O ring on it?
BUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 08:23 PM   #3
roadrage
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrestadr
Oil leaking a bit out of the filler hole, I go to tighten it and it just spins, in either direction! It won't unscrew or tighten, ie "stripped"? The bike was just serviced and that included an oil change. Dealer is 120 miles away. It's an aftermarket cap, on a 2000 GS. Help! Thanks
The insert is spinning. Aftermarket oil plugs seem to have sharper edges and they bite into the plastic. Try pushing down a little harder when unscrewing. Put a bevel on the part that engages the detent. That'll teach ya to put billet on your ride man... ;-) just kiddin.

later,
bobc
roadrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 08:31 PM   #4
lacrestadr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I tried the push down hard and cus method, no clue about the o ring. Please clarify your bevel suggestion. I'm at the "how to fix oil cap for dummies" stage of learning. Thanks
Old 03-31-2004, 08:41 PM   #5
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,967
Exactly which cap is it? Touratech? If all else fails you can take the valve cover off and get it out. You'll only lose a little oil. This would get more attention in GSpot.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:45 PM   #6
lacrestadr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I dont know the type, came with the bike Allen head, aluminum.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:46 PM   #7
roadrage
Beastly Adventurer

Let's see if I can describe this... (3 G&T's) The billet plug that I have has one eased edge, a ramp so to speak for when you twist the sucker tight. But the off direction is not so eased. In the case of my dads bike the off direction had a burr on it or was just plain sharp and he had a hard time getting the thing back out. A gentle easing of that burr'd edge made it easier to remove the Cap. The O ring provides some preload on the 'T' which aggravates the prob.

I'll see if I can take a pic and demo the point better.

later,
bobc
Old 03-31-2004, 09:04 PM   #8
drholm
Easily Amused

Oddometer: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrestadr
I dont know the type, came with the bike Allen head, aluminum.
If it is the typical aluminum/allen head unit, the part that attaches to the valve cover has an O ring that is supposed to seat in a groove in the cover. The part has 2 set screws that wedge against the sides of the hole. If the set screws were not installed with a bit of lock-tite they can work loose and the collar can spin and ooze oil from the pressure build up. It is also possible that the O ring never fully seated. The collar will be a tight fit if the O ring is in the groove.

You will probably have to pull the cylinder head and check the fit/tightness of the collar. You will only lose a shot glass amount of oil. Be VERY careful re-tightening the valve cover bolts. They are very easy to strip. I believe the spec is only 9 nm which is not much. Good luck. It's an easy fix.

Dave...Boise ID
'01 1150GS
drholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 09:31 PM   #9
roadrage
Beastly Adventurer

As drholm said, you may have to pull the valve cover to gain access and remove this. Here's a pic of the plug and the leading edge of the 'T' is what I'm talking about. You need to ease this edge. Mine is eased already. No burrs.

later,
bobc
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2004, 09:33 PM   #10
roadrage
Beastly Adventurer

I would have put an arrow on there but I forgot. The edge in question is the one that is clearly visible near the oil accumulation.

later,
bobc
Old 04-01-2004, 04:36 AM   #11
Scott T.
widedog

Oddometer: 135
If it's the mototechniques aftermarket cap (like mine) it uses a 5mm? aleenhead screw to put the cap on and off with. If that's what you have, the insert is turning in the valve cover. Take the valve cover off and look from the inside at the insert and you'll see two little allen head screws...not sure what size, but small. They're threaded at an angle so you can get the allen wrench on them. these screw into the aluminum or magnesium valve cover and keep the insert from turning when you tighten the filler cap. loosen the set screws and rotate the insert about 180 degrees so that when you tighten the screws they'll get a new bite into the valve cover. MAKE sure you use loktite on the set screws! While you're at it, get some grey high temp silicone sealant and put it around the insert before tightening the set screws (you'll have to take it completely out to do this and then you'll see where the set screws scarred the valve cover.) This has happened twice on mine because of ham handed mechanics tighening the filler cap with a ratchet. When tightening the filler cap just use a 5mm socket without the ratchet and tighten with your fingers until you just feel the cap seat...no tighter...it won't leak and the insert won't move this way. Oh, and start changing your own oil
HTH, scott
Old 04-01-2004, 07:22 AM   #12
lacrestadr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

You guys rock!!! I'll take the valve cover off and see whats up. Sounds simple right?? Thanks for the input. It's great to be able to ask a question most people have no idea about and get solutions within a few hours! This site is incredible!!!