Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2008, 08:52 PM   #151
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,847
I think the front mud guard is off a R100GS, I've seen a few of those. I like that look too, and have been thinking of looking for one for mine.

The PO of my bike made side covers out of a sheet of plastic, then used snaps on cable clamps around the frame to hold them in place.

If all my parts weren't in the mail, and the bike still in Albuquerque, I'd take pics for you.

Do you have the stock exhaust on the bike? You'll need to clear that with a side cover if so.

AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:18 AM   #152
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,461
The front mud guard/plate is from the GS/GSPD's It mates nicely with the skidplate for same, "filling in" the corners on front.

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:45 AM   #153
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,204
I took some cardboard yesterday and cut some templates to make some side covers. The problem is the right side, where the shock is, bulges out a bit. I'd have to figure out a way to bend the plastic. I guess I could just push it in and make the clamps hold it. What did your PO do?

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:23 AM   #154
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

I don't recall, I know both sides were flat. One side was smaller then the other, it may be the right side was slightly smaller and trimmed around the shock.

AKjeff screwed with this post 10-14-2008 at 09:18 PM
Old 10-11-2008, 06:30 PM   #155
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

I think I've read this on here somewhere but I can't track it down now.

Does installing the Enduralast charging system remove the problem with the alternator not charging if the Gen light burns out?

Old 10-12-2008, 10:39 AM   #156
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
Hey bGood. I met Dean from Boxerworks yesterday. He was teaching the ERC course at the spartanburg rides. Pretty neat guy. And that dual plugged r60/5 (/6, /7, etc) is pretty cool.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:15 AM   #157
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
I took some cardboard yesterday and cut some templates to make some side covers. The problem is the right side, where the shock is, bulges out a bit. I'd have to figure out a way to bend the plastic. I guess I could just push it in and make the clamps hold it. What did your PO do?
What kind of plastic are you using?

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:37 PM   #158
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Quote:
And that dual plugged r60/5 (/6, /7, etc) is pretty cool.
The green one? Yeah it's neat, he's done a lot to that bike.

Quote:
What kind of plastic are you using?
I don't even have any plastic yet. I was just thinking out loud. I won't get around to the sidecovers til I straighten out the dozens of things I've done to the bike over the last coupla months. I finally got around to lowering the front end yesterday. I'll be the first kid on my block with a G/S lowrider!
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2008, 08:26 AM   #159
photomd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
What a great thread...love to see another bike coming together.
1998 CR250
photomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:03 PM   #160
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,832
Quote:
It's pretty easy
Get some ABS (often it's black with a smooth side and a textured side)

Then practice with a little bit of it to see how hot you need to get it to form to the shape you need.

I've used soup cans for this kind of blister making
I use a heat gun, heat the plastic up till it's soft
Then press it against the soup can or even against the shock on the side of the bike at a point the plastic is soft enough to form but still solid enough to hold it's basic shape
Once you get it how you want it use something to cool the plastic down
Trim it out and your done.

Or just don't run side covers at all...
Old 10-24-2008, 01:02 PM   #161
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

well I didn't make it to the rally so obviously I didn't get my tank in time. The guy from Anderwerks called me today and said the tank is on this side of the ocean but it got stopped in customs. I consider it good news--that means the tank actually exists! When he called I fully expected him to say 'they don't make the tank anymore and we refunded you your money" More importantly for all of y'all is that Anderwerks CAN get the HPN tanks for you.

My bike is ready to roll. Valves adjusted, engine oil and filter changed, tranny/FD oil changed, fork oil added. I soldered in the switch and it cranks like a champ.

Every coupla hours I go out in the garage, sit on the bike and make 'vroomy' noises. I'm not kidding. It's kinda sad.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:21 PM   #162
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Every coupla hours I go out in the garage, sit on the bike and make 'vroomy' noises. I'm not kidding. It's kinda sad.
except we've all been there.

Thanks for your work on the Guard Island light. I was coming in the other night in some bad weather and thought about you working on it. It's always a comfort to see that light on the horizon when the weather is bad.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #163
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

well, I appreciate it! It's kind of embarrassing sometimes having been a lighthouse keeper. I tell people I'm a veteran and they think I was dodging bombs in Iraq or something. I have to say 'no...no, I just changed light bulbs.'

Dave at Anderwerks said my tank came in today and he sent it to me. Hopefully I'll have it in time to take a road trip during the Thanksgiving break.

Here's the electrical mess I've made for myself in the meantime. I've got the ballast for the HID light mounted behind the ICM. I left the old headlight relay in place. The space between the frame and the top of my engine looks like a bomb exploded in a wiring factory. I really need to clean it up this winter, but everything seems to be working.
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2008, 05:12 PM   #164
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

the tank is in!!! I skipped out on a hiking trip today to put it on.

Unfortunately, it's 40 degrees outside and the Krylon Fusion says it needs to be at least 50. It's supposed to jump to the upper 50s tomorrow. I've got it all taped up for painting and I'll get it taken care of tomorrow afternoon. I'll bring it in the kitchen to set up in the warmth overnight. Monday I'll put some gas in it and see what happens.

My headlight brackets never came in(that's a problem for a different day) so I went by the old hardware store, got some pipe straps and L-Brackets and made some. They seem darn sturdy, they don't bounce when I smack the headlight anyways. It's basically the same thing as the straps I tried to buy except they cost $4 instead of 40. I'd put up some pictures of my recent rig jobs but I can't find my camera. I'll get some on here next week though.

I'll get the tank on and take a battery voltage to make sure that the new alternator is juicing, rev it to make sure the throttle functions and then take it for a spin. I expect the carbs to be waaay out of sync.

The ignition switch is the stocker that I pulled out the G/S headlight pod. It's attached, of course, with another pipe strap to the top triple clamp, i.e., very exposed to weather. I'm running the stock headlight with a HID h-4 bulb outside of the pod, it's also very exposed. I definitely need to find a better solution for the long term, but it'll get me by for right now.

At this point, I'm tired of working on it. I'd rather not lift a finger on this bike until after 10 or 20,000 miles.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:43 PM   #165
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

it's aliiiiiive!!!!

I got the tank painted, waited an hour or so, put in a gallon and it fired right up. battery voltage was 12.5 sitting, and 14.4 running so the alternator is juicing. I rode it up to the gas station and there was about 1/2 cup of gas in the nozzle....yeah it dumped all over my brand new paint. from now on I'll tip it down before every refill. it left marks in the paint since it hadn't fully cured yet. I should've waited, sometimes impatience does that to ya. Screw it, I got to go riding, it was worth it. I'll just spray some more over the top of it. I never intended this bike to be pretty.

The front end is undersprung, but not extremely so. I get a good bit of brake dive but not so much that I'm scared to ride it to DC this weekend, assuming the carb sync goes well.

The front brake ROCKS compared to the stocker.

The TrailTech speedo is working fine, the tach is kinda intermittent but in the manual it says you have to adjust it get to pick up right. I'll straighten it out this week.

I've got the HID lights all wired up but haven't run an accessory line to the relay yet. The bracket is solid though. I can't feel it moving going down the road.

I'm not extatic about the Russell seat--and I ought to be considering how much it cost. It seems to make me want to shift forward. I feel like I'm leaning forward more than I like, maybe some risers will fix that.

The throttle that I pulled off a junker yamaha is working, but not working well. There's no adjustment to take out the slack so it doesn't engage at the low end well. Good throttle response above 3k though. The throttle was a temporary fix anyways, it's doing its job.

The fairing is in the perfect spot. No buffeting, it even caused the whistling to stop on this goofy externally vented helmet I've got. It looks a little funny though. There's a 4" gap between the top of the fender and the bottom of the fairing. What do ya'll think? I've considered putting a PVC tube or maybe even a nalgene bottle there, painted to match, for some storage.

So.....I came back from a loong ride and the front tire was flat. I don't see a nail, I'm glad it didn't go this bad on the road. It's the tube and tire that came with the Suzuki front wheel. I checked the pressure....a month or so ago. I should be shot for riding on a wheel that I hadn't checked better.

I'm sure a good 1500 mile weekend will turn up quite a few other problems. I'll be taking 50 pounds of tools with me on this one.
Attached Images

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 11-23-2008 at 05:47 PM