Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #76
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,229
I sold my PD tank for $1200, so I actually made money on the deal. Nathan's ordered from HPN before, I'm pretty sure those prices are with the 19% VAT removed.

I used the iron sorta like a plumber's torch. I heated up the brass stud to get the solder to suck into the hole, seemed to work. I also heated up the cable so hopefully I got some intrusion betwixt the strands of the cable. I'm really not worried about that brass end coming off. But if the cable ever snaps and I need to replace it I'm going to be in a mess trying to find a cable to fit. I'd rather do the leg work on finding a factory-made cable before my bike is stuck on the side of the road.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:13 AM   #77
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
I sold my PD tank for $1200, so I actually made money on the deal. Nathan's ordered from HPN before, I'm pretty sure those prices are with the 19% VAT removed.
The 580 euro is what's on HPN's web based price list, so I assumed it included VAT as the price list is for England... but really I have no idea!

Let us know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:32 AM   #78
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:35 PM   #79
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

got my headlight in....and it was smashed. The lens was face down on the bottom of the box and there was no packing underneath it. tons of newspaper on top of it though! also, I ordered the extra beefy $50 brackets because they fit the 43mm tubes...they sent me the stamped steel $15 brackets made for 38mm. It's not ebay's fault, but I'm getting tired of dealing with ebay stores. It can be some guy's basement for all I know.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2008, 10:13 PM   #80
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,926
Look at streetfighter sites for both headlights and headlight ears
many of the streetfighter bikes run USD forks with big fork tubes
And the blokes who ride those bike
Some of them like the big headlight look.

Try a wrecking yard for headlights
Off the top of my head I forget which bikes have which headlight diameters
but Honda CB400 hawk comes to mind.

good on ya for getting ride of the stupid BMW switch gear.
there are some vintage places that can make cables
that's probably going to be the best bet for a Frankenstein set up like yours.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:06 AM   #81
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

The company I ordered the stuff from really surprised me today. They said they'd give me a full refund or whatever I wanted. Their ad said no refunds so they were well within their rights not to do it. Since the headlight is still a little big for my fairing(my fault) I decided to get a refund on that. This was the only place I could find the 43mm brackets though so I decided to keep them. I'll check some more sites and the moto junkyard in town to try and find something else. I really like the idea of those H4 bulbs versus sealed halogen though. Oh well, the search continues. Big thumbs up for www. SpeedMotoCo.com!

edit: SpeedMotoCo refused to give me the refund they promised after I sent them the box of junk they gave me. I'm out almost a hundred bucks and I've got nothing to show for it. I could get angry and cuss and yell and it wouldn't do anything but ruin MY day. And life goes on.

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 02-11-2009 at 07:28 PM
Old 09-23-2008, 07:41 PM   #82
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

I've pretty much worked myself out of a job. The bike is sitting there ready to ride if it wasn't for missing parts that I'm waiting on. I've stayed busy on the thing for the last month, feels odd to be this close to having it back on the road. I didn't study for my econ test so I could mount my front fork last week...and made an A anyways. Heck yeah!

I really want to put a few miles on this thing before I tear the electrical system apart. Doing too many things at one time means if I have a problem there's a lot of places it could come from. That's how I justify being impatient and taking it for a ride before the whole 'project' is done anyways.

Whenever Nathan gives me a solid price on the HPN tank (hopefully this week) I'll run by to drop off the check and borrow one of his spare gas tanks. Other than that, I've got a few little things to button up but I hope to have pics of a running bike up here pretty soon.

So far, On schedule for the rally in October!

Old 09-23-2008, 09:06 PM   #83
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
Quote:
I didn't study for my econ test... *snip*

So far, On schedule for the rally in October!

It's good to see you have your priorities straight. At least those 2.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:58 AM   #84
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

I talked to nathan and he said the best solution for the throttle was to go with one that had holes for 2 separate cables that use cylindrical stops. The advantages being that I'd get rid of that annoying gear-mesh feeling and it'd use very common cables that I could pull off almost any bike. Also, I'd ditch that split cable since, as I'm finding, it's annoying to deal with. that's a problem for a different day though, for now I'll ride with my rig just so I can get on the road.

I tried my clutch today and found it dang near impossible to pull. I had to reroute the cable since it was doing spirals around the handlebar after mounting the forks. Finally a problem crops up that I can fix without having to order junk and wait for it to come in.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:07 AM   #85
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Hiya B, gonna add your bike to the registry? LINK

Quote:
Old 09-26-2008, 09:35 AM   #86
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Done.

I saw a picture of a bike on here somewhere that had some huge valve covers on it. It had 5 or 6 lines on the outside rather than the 3 on the stockers. I can't seem to find the picture but can anybody point me to it?

Old 09-26-2008, 10:12 AM   #87
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Quote:
Done.

I saw a picture of a bike on here somewhere that had some huge valve covers on it. It had 5 or 6 lines on the outside rather than the 3 on the stockers. I can't seem to find the picture but can anybody point me to it?
Believe those are San Jose BMW units...

Quote:
Old 09-26-2008, 04:48 PM   #88
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,466
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...61#post7806761

See post 2673 and photo by Ogribike.
San Jose BMW....

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:55 PM   #89
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Man those covers look cool. Are there some kind of ports on the top of them?

My TrailTech Vapor computer came in today. It's pretty simple. I assembled it along with their dashboard in about 5 minutes. All of the wires on the back go to quick disconnects so the comp can be removed in a hurry. The bracket on the back is run through 2 rubber grommets so it will be isolated from vibration--very well thought out. The engine temp sensor for the aircooled engine goes underneath one of your spark plugs, it looks like a big spade lug. The RPM sensor can be hooked up in several ways and the instructions are layed out in a big color instruction manual.

The downside of the computer is the handlebar clamp. It's a tiny piece of plastic that's connected to the computer through another piece of plastic. Also, it's got 1 clamp that connects to one side of the computer, not in the center. All the weight of the computer hangs off. Not a robust design(pretty darn poor actually) and it was built for true dirtbikes ridden in very bad conditions. Also, I'd show you a pic of it but they didn't give me enough hardware to put it together. It's missing a few washers and a nut. I'll go by the hardware store and get some 3/4" EMT pipe clamps, TWO clamps and that should make it very secure. I don't mind rigging stuff(obviously) but I don't like it when I have to.

That was a long paragraph that'll get fixed by $2 and a trip to the hardware store. Overall initial impression is very good. I expect to have pics of the final install tomorrow.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:42 AM   #90
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

I couldn't get to sleep so I looked at wiring this thing in.

Here's the Vapor computer

Here's the back of the dash lights

Here's what's on the other side

I used that to track down which wires were for what, here's what I came up with