Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409

T-2.8 weeks to old school rally.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:58 AM   #92
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,293
I know I know, I'm tryin! I think I should be able to make it but there's a few things that might keep me from it.

This throttle isn't working out that well. That gear mesh must have had two different size gears. When I pull the cable directly it goes from closed to fully open in 1/4 turn. That could be a problem.

The tank hasn't even been ordered yet, at least Nathan is offering to loan me a tank. If I make it I definitely won't be showing up with an HPN tank.

I installed the alternator almost a month ago but since I haven't been able to run the bike I still don't know if it's installed right or not. Everything seems okay but there's still a chance that I screwed something up.

I've got no idea what I'm going to do for an ignition switch. I could buy something to mount on the handlebars but that would make it really easy for someone to just pull the wires, turn the bike over and ride off. Since I put the DR650 fork on there I don't have a stem lock. I always keep a length of chain with me on tours so I can lock it up, but I'd hate to have to do that every time I park the bike.

I still don't have a headlight. I still don't have a seat.

My bank account hurts. The rear tire on the harley is crazy bald. To get a new tire is going to cost me $225. It's a tubeless tire so I can't change it out like on my other bikes. I go through dual sport tires pretty faast but at least they usually only cost me $50 each and 20 minutes to change out.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:30 AM   #93
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

What's this harley business? You must never mention this subject again under penalty of being excommunicated and rendered anathema.

Cant you just slap the oem bars and hardware back on?
Old 09-29-2008, 10:10 AM   #94
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

The DR650 brakes run on a separate perch from the throttle. To use the old perch/throttle/reservoir I'd have to use the banjo fitting in the old fitting. I haven't tried but I don't think that'd work. I guess I could try to fit the old caliper on my forks, might work. I'll look in to that if I can't get the new throttle to work. The beemer problems will have to wait til later this week anyways.

Unfortunately the har.....err....ahem other bike is my only form of transportation since I don't drive. If I don't get it straightened out I'm in trouble. Also, it's leaking tranny fluid and I've just been topping it off to keep it on the road. I've got to pull it apart today and straighten that out, I'm tired of riding around scared that my tranny is low on oil and eating itself apart. This particular bike is a 2006, air cooled and carburated so I would expect some reliability due to it's simplicity. This is not the case.

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 09-29-2008 at 10:24 AM
Old 09-29-2008, 10:18 AM   #95
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
To use the old perch/throttle/reservoir I'd have to use the banjo fitting in the old fitting. .
Huh? you can remove the stock BMW brake line, and use a 10mm banjo bolt, provided the eye of the Suzuki line is also a 10mm...

Or am I confused?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:26 AM   #96
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO
Huh? you can remove the stock BMW brake line, and use a 10mm banjo bolt, provided the eye of the Suzuki line is also a 10mm...

Or am I confused?
+1

You should be able to buy a custom brake line that has the 10mm banjo to meet your BMW master cylinder, and whatever size you need banjo on the other end to bolt right onto the caliper.

Get rid of that hard steel "jumper" line that comes stock on the BMW and just take the line all the way to the caliper.

This is the only pic I have... but it gives you the idea.

http://datchew.smugmug.com/photos/336136689_JHEid-L.jpg
Old 09-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #97
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

I've got some JB weld drying on the throttle right now and I should have it on the bike tonight or tomorrow. It seems pretty solid and the short throw of the throttle may just be in my head and all this brake rigging won't happen.

Looking back on all this maybe it would have been a better idea to use the stock throttle/brake perch but I didn't expect to run in to this much trouble rigging a new throttle. The more I look at it the more I'm liking the idea of putting the stocker back on.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #98
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
The more I look at it the more I'm liking the idea of putting the stocker back on.
When a custom part breaks on the trail, you have to make a new one to take it's place... when a stock parts breaks, you make a quick phone call and give 'em your credit card number...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:03 PM   #99
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

So much for that bright idea. I pulled the stock brake line off and tried to use the DR brake line and it wouldn't fit.

The new throttle oughta get the job done. In the long run I think I'd rather have a different solution but this will work and I've got it right now.

Also, so far so good on fixing the oil leak on the....other...bike. Vibration caused the clutch cable to back out of the clutch cover and tranny fluid started leaking out.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:56 PM   #100
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

I sent off my stock solo seat to get recovered by Russel about a month ago. Turns out they do custom embroidering for 20 bucks....
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2008, 12:59 PM   #101
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,468
...solo seat on your H-D, right...?
RIIIIGHT???

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain

Gimmeslack screwed with this post 09-30-2008 at 03:58 AM
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:40 PM   #102
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

here's the clamps I rigged for the trailtech
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2008, 03:45 PM   #103
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,372
Nice electrical surplus item I almost used those for clamping up some extra lights.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:22 PM   #104
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Man that seat is tall. Even slid all the way forward I can't get my heels to touch the ground.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:22 PM   #105
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Guess who's throttle works!!!!!! Feels fine, kinda heavy. Carbs are opening and closing fine, starter switch and kill switch work. So far so good.

For some reason I can't get the oil light on my dash to work. The wiring is all straight but it must be shorting to the turn signal somewhere since it flashes when flip the turn signal switch.
Attached Images