User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #1261
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,261
Quote:
I will finish my G/S this year. (don't laugh, that is a rather bold statement for me!)
ha! I've 'finished' my bike twice already and look where I'm at now. I guess if you care about resale you'll eventually get to a point where it doesn't make sense to do anymore. I don't so I keep coming up with more dumb stuff to do.

For instance, I just ordered some mast steps from a sale boat. I'm going to mount them on my valve covers for highway pegs. Noooooobody's buyin' this piece o' junk!

Quote:
A bit late here ... but I 'made my own' throttle puller. I got the master cylinder from the DRZ forks and then hacked a /6 double puller ... It works great. And 'standard' BMW parts (except for the body).
BMW parts....eeeewwwwwww!

Quote:
I just finished my doctorate about 4 weeks ago... I can't say I've had more time.... but I no longer feel guilty for wrenching for twenty minutes! Good luck with the finals!
Congratulations, Dr. Clay Spinner! What's the doctorate in, if you don't mind my asking? Where'd you get it from? What are you planning to do with it? Sorry, I'm surrounded by phd students right now so I have these conversations a lot.

I think everyone that's gone to grad school thought about going all the way through the doctorate. I talked to the head of our doctoral program here at Georgia State and he said I'd get in if I applied. I'm just tired of being broke and having no time. I don't know if I'd get back what I put in over that 5 years. A PhD in Econometrics is very marketable but money doesn't necessarily replace time ya know? It feels like I haven't had any fun in forever.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 09:37 AM
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #1262
Clay Spinner
Woodfire or Bust

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post

Congratulations, Dr. Clay Spinner! What's the doctorate in, if you don't mind my asking? Where'd you get it from? What are you planning to do with it? Sorry, I'm surrounded by phd students right now so I have these conversations a lot.

I think everyone that's gone to grad school thought about going all the way through the doctorate. I talked to the head of our doctoral program here at Georgia State and he said I'd get in if I applied. I'm just tired of being broke and having no time. I don't know if I'd get back what I put in over that 5 years. A PhD in Econometrics is very marketable but money doesn't necessarily replace time ya know? It feels like I haven't had any fun in forever.
Many thanks. To work in the field that I wanted the doctorate was the only option. I'm a child/adolescent psychologist working in mental health and education. The university of Exeter has been very kind to me but I'm now hoping to move back to Nova Scotia....and start enjoying all of the dirt roads. My bikes have been in the garage for two years while I wrote up...besides the odd trip around the moor over summer evenings to clear the head....before sitting down in the spare room and writing all night. After the last five years...I would not recommend a phd unless it will significantly increase your income and opportunities... And don't get married, have two kids....or expect to stay in a relationship! .

Also... I would not recommend that anyone pays for their doctorate....get it funded through a grant or something....at a good uni you should never need to pay for it yourself as they will be benefitting from your work.

I worked another job throughout my studies so that I could afford to live..it meant I was putting in 90 hours weeks or more. I lucked out with a good job that was flexible and paid well...but I know that's an exception not a rule....but until a month ago I hadn't seen a weekend or a day without a laptop stuck to me in about seven years! I also supplemented my income by making wood fired pottery... Hence the name clay spinner! Love the work....hate being poor! Hopefully now I can afford to make pots!

Richie Moore has one of my bikes and I can't wait to get it back so that I can tinker...and start using it. It's true I will never get that time back....but my kids will have more options and I shouldn't have to worry about bills in the future...so in the long term....it's all good.

Now go weld or brand us something!
Clay Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #1263
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Here's to hoping all that hard work pays off in trail time

I've got free tuition and a stipend for the Master's now and they'd pay me, very little of course, for the PhD. The money's not the issue though. It's like you said--you have to put in 90 hour weeks and I just don't have the drive for something like that. I'd rather be out playing with my motorbike or climbing rocks. The Master's gets me into a good living so I'm going to hold there.

I'm jealous though--you got to live in the UK for your doctorate! How hard was it to apply overseas? Think they're accepting doctoral candidates for economics?

No welding today. I called and googled everywhere but nobody makes 1.5" band clamps for the exhaust. I ended up making my own. These are pipe repair clamps from the plumbing aisle and some copper sheeting. I call them my Roll-Your-Own Couplings

I want to get a shorter brass bolt. Steampunk ya know They're very tight and the copper's malleable so it makes a good seal. They're easy to tighten/loosen. Way easier than dealing with the stock system. I hated fighting those headers into the crossover at an angle. What were they thinking?

I ruined my rear fender. Sometimes you have an idea that starts out great....Anyways, I had a spare rear fender from Len's save-my-ass parts bike. When I was putting it on I noticed this:

Lose your spare key, Len?

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 04-07-2013 at 06:54 AM
Old 04-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #1264
garthg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Wink Hidden key

Quote:
Here's to hoping all that hard work pays off in trail time

Lose your spare key, Len?

Oooh, I like that.

I may not put it in that exact spot, but the idea of a spare key, with hole drilled into it, and bolted on somewhere, is brilliant! In the right spot, I can't imagine some miscreant getting wise. And you won't lose it.
garthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #1265
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Of course, you might be stuck without a wrench. That'd be classic--alone in a parking lot, lost your keys, and the spare is right there...if only you had a 10mm.... I bet that lens would give you enough leverage to turn the screw though. I might use that same spot. I could weld the nut to the tab and spin off the reflector if I ever needed the key.

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 04-07-2013 at 02:19 PM
Old 04-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #1266
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,636
Brad you could hang your key from the mirror in downtown Atlanta and it'd be there 5 weeks later......course the gas tank would be empty.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #1267
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

I believe it! It'd take a dumb crook to steal this piece o' junk

Old 05-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #1268
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

The shop that said they'd help me jet the carbs, MSP in Decatur, today said that they wouldn't do it. I'm a little lost as to what to do next. I'd need to buy $100 worth of jets to do it myself and I don't' know any shops that have them. Any ideas?

Old 05-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #1269
Beater
Is it broke yet?

Oddometer: 3,068
Yet another reason why I love Airheads.

I feel 99% confident that I could GIVE the key to someone on the street ... and they still wouldn't be able to steal it.

Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #1270
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

They couldn't steal mine without a box of Keihin Jets and a dyno.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #1271
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,050
Quote:
They couldn't steal mine without a box of Keihin Jets and a dyno.
I would sell those carbs and get Mikunis....no sense in being a pioneer if you have to spend a shit load on jets and tune by trial and error. I think you need to put your stock airbox back on if you want to tune them. Too many variables have been changed.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #1272
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

I like the new stuff I built too much to put the stock airbox back on. I wants me an aluminum under-seat toolbox! Besides, if I'm not using stock specs it doesn't really matter if I've changed the intake. Of course, my new intake might suck. That'd matter

Marietta Motorsports has a dyno and they do rejetting. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they'll help me. I'm not ready to sell the carbs yet but if I had known it'd be this much trouble I'd have gotten the Mikunis. Heck, I only got these because so many people said they were easier to jet! Selling them and getting Mikunis might be what I have to do, but I'll try everything else before I go there.

I'm going climbing for a few days. I'll deal with this mess later.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #1273
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,288
too bad you cant weld your own jets out of leather
Old 05-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #1274
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

I'm going to try to get that air filter out to you in the morning before I leave for the cliffs. Hopefully there'll be a Fossa update soon!

Old 05-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #1275
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,288
Quote:

I'm going to try to get that air filter out to you in the morning before I leave for the cliffs. Hopefully there'll be a Fossa update soon!
NO worries. I might be breathing down your neck a week from now, we'll see if some plans flesh out