Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #1276
Beater
Blinded by Science

Oddometer: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
NO worries. I might be breathing down your neck a week from now, we'll see if some plans flesh out

What to do ... what to do ...
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #1277
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,890
There's a race in Baja, in October. Well, they say its not a "race" but a "rally raid" which might as well be the same thing but whatever, its a good, fun bunch of guys and a good format ride and an excuse to put that crazy ass bike togehter. Adventure start to finish.

I'm currently on a waiting list, as it seems the entry is limited. Lets get this show on the road, already
Old 05-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #1278
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,196
I'm impatient enough without you talking about races in Baja. That's it! No more talking about motorcycles

I got the filter to UPS. Oughta be at your place Friday. Let's see some Fossa pics

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #1279
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

I just had a great conversation about motorbikes with a guy named Bill Ristau(678)371-1684.

He's an old bike mechanic that works out of his house. BMW of Atlanta AND Marietta Motorsports gave me his number. He said he's put Keihins on many veritcal twins but no BMWs but, as he put it, 'it doesn't really matter what's sucking on it. It's just fuel and air." That's exactly the sorta thing I was hoping to hear. He charges half as much as Marietta Motorsports too. w00t!

Old 05-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #1280
Beater
Blinded by Science

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
That's it! No more talking about motorcycles
Quote:
I just had a great conversation about motorbikes with a guy named Bill ...
That didn't take long.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #1281
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,670
Somebody's on summer break.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #1282
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Alright, I'm close.

Keepin' my eye on the finish

I had to add vacuum ports to the carbs. They had nice spots that must've been put there for it.

They were 10/32" brass nipples with some screw covers from the hardware store.

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 11:11 PM
Old 05-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #1283
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

The K&N air filter wouldn't stay tight because the hose clamps had nothing hard to clamp down on. I found a piece of muffler pipe that fit the inside of the radiator hoses and cut rings out of it.

They were still so tight I had to soap them up to put them on. Thanks for the soap mug, Jason

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 01:37 AM
Old 05-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #1284
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

New leather grip on the throttle. This is some calf's hide samples I got for cheap on eBay. I gave the stitches extra slack since it's likely to shrink a lot.

I left for a minute while I was in the middle and came back to find the Dumpster Cat attacking the strings. Too bad I don't go for tassles :ymca This bike would be Dumpy's boxing trainer. She was going at it like Tyson for a hot minute

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 11:17 PM
Old 05-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #1285
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Here's a blast from the just a few years ago.

Quote:
I measured the width of the boxes at the top and the bottom to make sure they were lined up with each other. They were but the width struck me as odd-28 3/4". That's narrower than my handlebars.

I remember the Caribou Case site said that they tried to keep their's under 40" because they started hitting gas pumps. Dern, that's almost a foot wider. I'll feel better about lane-splitting now

the angled way that Jesse mounted these looks really cool. I think I'll start all over so I can do that

on a fancy new r1200 my racks would stand out as downright ugly but on my beat up G/S they sorta blend ya know?

Oh, and I think we should switch to a one-world currency sometime in the next 24 hours so I don't have to take a final on exchange rates.
So...I did that. Not the 'switch the world to a one-world currency' idea. The angling the boxes part. I rewelded my racks to tilt them exactly 7 degrees forward so that they'd match the luggage rack. When I go on trips I usually take a plastic bin full of firewood strapped to the back with me. I messed up a few boxes because the sub frame's only 9" wide. I plan on adding wood platforms about an inch above the boxes to match the luggage rack so I'll have one large flat surface to mount the firewood bin on. Tiling the boxes also allowed me to move them 1 1/2" forward so the weight's over the rear axle a bit moreinstead of hanging off the back. Every little bit helps.

I can't wait to ride my bike right to the campsite. I've been carrying that heavy-assed bin all the way down the hill myself since the bike's been down. I'll be glad to let the mule have that job back. This is Sand Rock, AL about 2 weeks ago:

I sacrificed the sub-frame from Len's r65 to make the racks. Have you ever cut through BMW powdercoat? It reeks! I'm serious. It smells awful.

Anyways, I used it for the grab rail at the back and the front supports. I had a 1/4" x 1" thick bar for supports on the old racks and the one on the right was bent. I also melted my old rear harness because it fell on the muffler. Luckily, this sub-frame had one of those too. I love how parts swap so easily on these old beemers. They even identified the wires the same in the wiring diagram the same for 30 years. It might be the same colors now for all I know.

I love those Arlen Ness turn signals but I broke one already The bolt that it mounts on is hollow and the wire went through it. It snapped just putting it on. The 12mm fits just fine. The wrench doesn't need to know it's a 5/16". I drilled a hole in the housing and put a grommet in it for the wire to go through instead. I'm using a solid bolt for the mount now and they're stout. I wouldn't worry about running a bungee cord to it....if it wasn't worried that it'd scratch my chrome I mounted them inside enough that I think they'll stay away from damage in a crash even if the boxes are off. Who knows though I got these for cheap because there was a scratch on one of the lenses but they still cost more than my first four sets of turn signals combined.

I used 1/2" tubing for the long runs. I used to have a big piece of sheet metal on the right side. It held up very well but it had started to tear at the back. I'm sure I could've repaired it and it would've been fine but you know how I'm a slave to fashion. I wanted to be like one of those cool oilhead guys. I'm not bothering with any new waterhead fashions for at least a decade though

I used to have the box mounted with bolts. I had welded some nuts to some steel plates on the inside of the boxes. I pulled all those and mounted some hatch latches from Southco. They're made for latching....hatches?...on boats. I think. They're all keyed alike and I've got 2 more that I can use to close the lid. Of course, a crowbar would pop all of them off so keys don't really matter.

These latches were "Earthquake Rated" because the latch is mounted on a heavy spring keeping tension on the latch. I think I can muster a fair simulation of an earthquake to put that to the test

I welded the keepers to the racks. The boxes are supported completely by the racks so all the hatches have to do is hold them in to the bike.

It's entirely possible that all of these things will pop off the first time I hit a bump in the road and I just flushed $50 worth of latches down the toilet.

The metal tab on the left is a climbing hanger. On many routes somebody else climbs it with a drill and anchors these guys into the rock so all the climber has to do is clip in. I found this one at the base of a climb at Allenbrook. Somebody must've pulled it because they thought it was unsafe. I'm going to use it to hold my shoes after a climb. See, you can't walk in climbing shoes. You can't even sit in climbing shoes. The only time you can wear climbing shoes is when you're so scared of falling to your death that you CAN'T think about how horribly uncomfortable your shoes are. Also, I can take the bike right to the cliff so I like to sit on the back to get my shoes on so they're nice and clean when I get on the wall.

I also extended the tabs on the bottom of the sub-frame that hold the racks. I thought about replacing the whole thing but those original tabs have taken a lot of beatings. Anything I made could only be worse. I also filled in some holes by welding plates to the back. I'm too lazy to grind 'em off. I ought to though. These racks come in at just under 11 pounds with the turn signals on. I'll take all the weight savings I can get.

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 02:38 PM
Old 05-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #1286
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

I finally welded on the last pipe to the muffler. I wanted to make sure the crossover ended in the same spot as the old one so that I could use a stock muffler if I had to.

I used 2 reducers to get the 2" Busa pipe down to the 1 3/4" used on the stock pipe. It allowed me to make a sortof ball and socket so I could aim the spigot. Since the pipe was at the wrong angle AND offset to the side this gave me the adjustment I needed to get it to meet up. It's going to take a lot of grinding to make it pretty though.

The hardware store ran out of plumbing repair clamps so I had to used the clamp off the Mike's KLR pipe at the back for now.

Fitting this pipe behind the Jesse was a task. I cut 6" off the muffler to make it fit behind the box and even then it was close to the tire. I mounted the pipe as far out as possible and I've got about 1/2" clearance at the very front of the muffler and it widens up after that. I'm going to rivet a piece of sheet metal on the back to keep it from rubbing through just in case it moves over back there. After all, that's how I got this pipe for so cheap in the first place! I've still got to put some exhaust wrap right where the footpeg is. All my boots are melted right there

A friend of mine from way back when helped me put the last part together. Man he makes this G/S look small. They sure grow 'em big in the country, boy.

I can't wait to hear this pipe echoing off the cliffs at Sand Rock...hopefully this weekend if I'm lucky!

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 02:21 AM
Old 05-20-2013, 05:35 AM   #1287
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,670
Thanks Brad for posting your ramblings. It really went well with my coffee this morning. Glad you're back at it!!!! THinking about a few shakedown runs this coming weekend....sounds like you'll be hanging.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:46 AM   #1288
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,890
Old 05-20-2013, 05:58 AM   #1289
Beater
Blinded by Science

Is "progress" still "progress" when you have to have to hork parts from a KLR to do so?

Old 05-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #1290
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

If you're horking parts from a KLR to put it on an airhead then, yes, it is still progress.

@Jenna. I'm about to call Bill. Hopefully he can get me in this week. Hopefully tomorrow. I'll let you know as soon as I find out something.

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 09:14 AM