Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #1336
Clay Spinner
Woodfire or Bust

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
It's an airhead, man. Anything you do on it is 'nerd shit.'

Airheads ARE the nerds of the motorcycling community. This sub-forum is like that cafeteria table way off in the corner where pasty small kids in glasses huddle in a group for protection.
Hey, I played varsity hockey in Canada... But i also took calculus so maybe the nerd description fits... Just not the weedy bit!
Clay Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #1337
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 2,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
It's an airhead, man. Anything you do on it is 'nerd shit.'
Airheads ARE the nerds of the motorcycling community. This sub-forum is like that cafeteria table way off in the corner where pasty small kids in glasses huddle in a group for protection.
I've got a d20 the size of a racquetball. It might be hanging from my rear-view by this afternoon.
I've been trying all my life to escape the nerd/geek persona. Within every hobby I try and like, there is a group of nerds that I finally find. I don't seek out the Kool-Aid. The Kool-Aid finds me. And yes, I know what a d20 is. I still have my original (in mint condision, no less) complete set of hardback books for D&D.

Conclusion: Nerds are like Rednecks, and Deadheads. We are everywhere.
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #1338
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,204
There's a nerd fad going on. Everybody who's not a nerd says they're a nerd. If you actually are a real nerd, they call you a hipster for saying you were down with it in the '90s.

You should do more dumb stuff like this to your bike, Richard. Stock is so.....stock

I ordered the Moose Raptor bars Jenna found and the Magura clutch perch AW's using. Man I'd be screwed without ADVRider. Thanks!

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 06-19-2013 at 12:25 AM
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #1339
RomaDakota
29th scroll, 6th ver

Oddometer: 1,312
Well, glad to hear science and math torch still burning. Been around too many passing, retiring etc and not being back filled. A large reason Boeing left Wichita - the engineers were retiring faster than being replaced and certainly challenging finding US replacements. Sorry for the detour.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #1340
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Yeah I don't care about detours. Hell I don't own this place. If you want to start posting stupid cat pictures feel free. Why else do we have a forum except to talk to folks that feel the need to turn wrenches on the same bike we do?...And possibly crash on their couch when we're riding through their part of the world some day As long as it's not politics, religion or oil I think we can keep this thread out of the Basement.

Quote:
Hey, I played varsity hockey in Canada... But i also took calculus so maybe the nerd description fits... Just not the weedy bit!
Things might be different in Canada, but in the US, Hockey's not exactly main stream, ya feel me?

You'll be glad to hear I've made progress on the footpegs, Richard.

I'm pretty sure this is a bad idea. I can stand on the pegs and they hold up fine but I think they'll bust the valve cover in a wreck. Which is fine. I've got spare rockers so even if I trash the valve train it'll be worth it for the pictures.

That ship always reminds me of a crankshaft.

Come on, you know you want one of these

Kinda looks like a KLR. Makes sense coming from a world of junk

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 06-19-2013 at 04:05 PM
Old 06-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #1341
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Old 06-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #1342
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,706
That looks....uhmm.....very....errr....accurate.....I mean......fancy!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #1343
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Yeah I was moving the throttle all over the place to keep it running. I rode it around the yard a little. It's closer than it was. Gas isn't flying out the back and it barely smokes anymore. The rings seem to have seated. 35 is the smallest jet Keihin makes so if this is too rich I'm going to have to get rid of these carbs. I don't understand how it could need a smaller jet. It came with 48s jetted to a 350 2-stroke. Would a 350 2-stroke pull that much more air than a 1000cc 4-stroke?

Old 06-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #1344
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,285
I'm hoping it was just the mic, but why did your bike sound like a chainsaw?

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #1345
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,993
That was crazy. WHat were the random numbers, again?

It sounds like its crazy advanced and running on one cylinder or something

You should just have to figure out hte idle jet right now
Old 06-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #1346
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

It does sound a lot like a 2-stroke but that video doesn't really show the sound. If something gets too loud it make it into a garbled mess. It's definitely louder than I want it. I still need to put a spark arrestor in the muffler so I'm hoping that will dampen it a bit.

The gauge is the air-fuel ratio but since I was opening and closing the throttle it didn't sit in one spot. 14.5:1 is efficient but there's a peak torque somewhere around 13:1. I'm hoping to be able to dial it in that closely but when it's this far off it's hard to figure out which way to go.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #1347
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

I found a guy on a XS650 forum that had these carbs. He went through 2 months of screwing with them, swapping the needles twice, but he said it was like fuel injection when it was dialed in. He had a 40 Slow Jet and a 125 main jet. I've got a 35, 40, and a 38 coming in the mail. The main is a 160.

Bill, the guy that helped me the first time, has plenty of main jets but he's been in the hospital. He knows a lot more about these carbs than I ever will, that whole setting a land speed record thing ya know?, so I'd rather wait until he can help me.

Of course, I've played with these carbs quite a bit anyways, moving the needle up and down and swapping jets, but I haven't gotten it running consistently. You might not know this, but I don't know anything I think maybe if I hold the throttle open for a while and let it warm up....

Anyways, new project.

I made a big underseat toolbox then realized I needed a wrench to get the seat off. Yeah, it's kinda like locking your keys in your car

I chopped a piece of square tubing in half and made a standoff for the sub-frame. This way it'd be in line with the back rail on the solo seat's luggage rack.

I welded the keeper to the seat.

I mounted one of the hatch latches like I used to hold the battery on that plate.

The original mounts had nuts welded on the bottom and the seat bolted on from the top. I ran a bolt up from the bottom instead and held the seat tabs down with a second nut on the top. The holes on the seat were ovals so this made sure the nuts were in the right spot. I welded the nuts to the seat, pulled the bolts, then drilled the threads on the top nuts with the tightest drill bit I could find.

All I have to do is unbuckle it at the back and pull up on the seat. I can lean back standing up on the seat and it doesn't move at all. The posts take all the weight and the latch just has to hold the seat down. I think it'll hold up.

The best part is that I didn't alter the original mounts. If my latch fails I can still run bolts in from the top the way it was before.

I didn't weld the latch because it'd ruin the powdercoat. As it is, it blends in. Hopefully crooks won't notice a way to into my tool box.

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 06:40 PM
Old 06-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #1348
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

I'm planning on making a new dash when I'm not broke. I'm aiming for 2020 For now I'm building the cheap stuff.

I never felt good about my ignition switch. Anybody could pull two wires and take the bike. Of course, I use the rotor lock that Jenna gave me...usually

Anyways I want to hide it somewhere.

I found a vending machine switch on Amazon. Maybe since it doesn't look like a normal switch a crook won't think to yank the wires attached to it and tie 'em together.

The key doesn't stay in the switch like on a car or bike. How much sense would that make in a vending machine? So I turn it, pull the key and put it back in my pocket. Neat! I won't lose my keys!

I also mounted an outlet from my favorite sailing website. It's made by a company called Blue Sea Systems and it was $9. It's a lot better than anything I could find at the auto parts store. The lid actually stays closed. My old one kept opening and rain would get in. I bought two of these and I'm planning on putting another one on the dash. That oughta take care of jacket and gloves.
Gotta make that Enduralast earn it's pay.
I also left a spot for another switch if I find I need it in the future.

Those pink hoses kinda stand out. I guess I'll tell people they're my breast cancer awareness carbs Or maybe I'll just get new hoses.

It's hard to get your hand in there, even from the other side. I guess they could yank the whole plate out It's safer than anything I could come up with on the handlebar in any case.

I think my best defense is going for the 'this bike isn't worth stealing' look

The wiring will have to wait until I get the dash put together. I've been too busy failing Calculus tests to do it.

Bill's been too busy having near-death experiences to fix my carbs. I told him I was holding him to that 'not dying before he tunes my carbs' promise. He should be out of the hospital this week.

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 06-26-2013 at 10:23 PM
Old 11-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #1349
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,706
It lives!!

Untitled from jenna novic on Vimeo.

Communial jet box.

photo null_zpsba7d7bf2.jpg
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote