ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2015, 08:10 AM   #1
jengel451 OP
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 802
Moving to KC area

Hey all,

Looks like I'm going to be relocating to the KC area for work. Looking at the SW burbs, looking at for a couple acres etc.

Anyway, trying to get a sense of the riding areas around there. I have a very well sorted 800gs that I use for mostly off road long distance rides through the mountains, so will be looking into some fun stuff to keep me entertained.

But, here's the big one. The family loves the dirt, single track etc. I have a 450xcw, wife WR250, kids have trail bikes etc, not into MX or closed course stuff. I've been calling dealers in the area, trying to get a sense of the riding climate, from what I can tell, the KC area is a bit light on riding, but if you go down towards the Rolla area, seems pretty rich.

Any other help you all can provide would be huge!
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:14 PM   #2
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,851
I live SE of KC and there is plenty of riding. Lots of Gravel south of KC on both sides of the line. Lots of Dirt roads north of KC. Old wagon trails. Plus the Flint hills rides, the Ozarks have plenty of trails on government lands.
You also have Deepwater, MO which is also dominated by ATV's. You also have this place> http://www.midwestextremepark.com/ Don't let the old turds in KS keep you from exploring around KC, lots of fun places to ride. If your not a snob rider that needs marked trails and a Latte break, the trails east of Swope park area are a blast. I don't ride in Mud except the occasional low water crossing. Even on my 650 which can run in the muck and my 230 which is a great light weight trail bike. I just don't like Mud. I even avoid it on my quads. So you won't see me on the trails until it dries out. But like I said, their are plenty of gravel roads south of KC that follow the old property lines and have plenty of turns and elevation changes. Last time I took a group from rideforum out, I rode fairly aggressively and scared a couple of them and one KLR dumped it on slick spot. But I think they had fun exploring around Settles Ford. As you can see the areas can be accessed by a variety of Motorcycles.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

car94 screwed with this post 02-22-2015 at 07:36 AM
car94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:22 PM   #3
Ed M
Collector of RFIDs

Oddometer: 54
Welcome to the KC area, the KC dual sport online community can be found at http://www.rideforum.net/

The best off road riding public areas that I know of are in NW Arkansas at an area called White Rock Mountain and just east of Springfield MO at an area known as Chadwick in the Mark Twain National Forest.

Not sure when you will be in the area but there is the 17th annual WUDI ride happening at White Rock in a couple of weeks see http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi17/wudi17.html

The dealers are right the off road riding around here is pretty light. Single track is getting harder to come by unless you race hare scrambles or enduros, a number of places that are public and private have been overrun by quads and now UTV's. That is one of the reasons I still race hare scrambles so I can ride different places that aren't too far from home.

I'm sure others will chime in with more info as there are some group rides such as The SLAP (Squeal Like a Pig) Rally, Arkansas 500, Missouri Swinging Bridges Ride coming into play now that spring is getting closer

Ed M screwed with this post 02-22-2015 at 01:05 PM
Ed M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:03 AM   #4
jengel451 OP
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Thanks for the welcome!

I was honestly contemplating dumping the dirtbikes and toyhauler before I got there....maybe not so much now.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:23 AM   #5
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengel451 View Post
Thanks for the welcome!

I was honestly contemplating dumping the dirtbikes and toyhauler before I got there....maybe not so much now.
I'm considering dumping the Honda's for a KTM 500 EXC so that I will have a true go anywhere dirt bike. Keep the 1190R for the long trips and asphalt.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:31 AM   #6
jengel451 OP
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

My Ktm is a 450xcrw. The cool bit is it has a full legit street plate. Based on those pictures I may have throw a bigger tank on it and adventurize it.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:39 AM   #7
Phil in K.C.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Welcome jengel. Don't drop the dirt bikes or the toy hauler! As mentioned before, depending on where you locate, you will only be 2-3 hrs south to some of the best riding in the middle of the country. Not sure if you or the kids could ever get tired of Chadwick. And then there is northwest Arkansas. The riding and camping opportunities are endless. Checkout the NW Arkansas BS thread...those boys have tracks that could last you for years!

Closer to town the GS will be handy to connect blacktop to dirt and gravel to keep you entertained. As you head east toward the lakes area lots of fun places to explore. But being an area of large reservoirs, lots of the old roads end at the waters edge so good maps are handy! I think you will like the Ozarks and all that area has to offer.

Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff......Frank Zappa
Phil in K.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:48 AM   #8
jengel451 OP
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Good stuff!
Been surfing the Lee's Summit area of KC. Once I get down there with the Minister of Finance we'll see what pans out.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:55 AM   #9
Phil in K.C.
Studly Adventurer

I'm @ 20 miles due east of Lees Summit...great schools. Nice neighborhoods...you can live city or rural . Depends on where you are going to work as to what your daily commute will be from that area. I can recommend a couple of Realestate agents who live in that area if need be.

They told you we have winter here right!?!

Old 02-22-2015, 07:58 AM   #10
jengel451 OP
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Laugh

Fortunately most days I'll be working from home.

I grew up in Montana. I currently live outside of Spokane on the Idaho border....I think I know winter.

Regarding the real estate agent. I may ping you on that, but the relocation program wants to use only agents they have assigned, so I'll see how I can navigate that bit.

jengel451 screwed with this post 02-22-2015 at 08:05 AM
Old 02-22-2015, 08:04 AM   #11
Phil in K.C.
Studly Adventurer

Then Kansas City will not disappoint! ..... How do you feel about humidity!!??

Old 02-22-2015, 08:06 AM   #12
jengel451 OP
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil in K.C. View Post
Then Kansas City will not disappoint! ..... How do you feel about humidity!!??
lmao....that's the one bit i'm probably going to absolutely hate....but, like anything, I'll get used to it...I hope.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:28 PM   #13
jengel451 OP
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

More important question. Income tax!

Company is in Kansas, who can tell me the ins and outs of living on each side of the line?
Old 02-22-2015, 01:43 PM   #14
Ed M
Collector of RFIDs

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Thanks for the welcome!

No don't sell anything, come down here and see what it's like first hand.

I also forgot to mention Walters Ranch which is a privately owned off road riding area which is about 2 1/2 hours from Lee's Summit, about 1500 acres with lots of trails. Good for quick day trips http://www.thewaltersranch.com/

As Car 94 mentioned Midwest Extreme Park is less than an hour south of Lees Summit, they have recently completed an ownership change and will hopefully be open for trail riding. The last few years they were only open for race weekends.

As for the humidity thing, you will get used to it and the bugs. Before the Air Force moved me here in '92 I was at Edward AFB in the Mojave Desert of Southern California for 5 years. My kids thought lightning bugs were the coolest things ever when we first moved here.
Ed M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:11 PM   #15
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,816
Quote:
More important question. Income tax!

Company is in Kansas, who can tell me the ins and outs of living on each side of the line?
I live in Mo but work in KS. I have to file a return in each state. I usually get a small refund from KS and didn't have to pay in MO until the last few years.

To keep this out of CSM, if you need service work at Engle's don't even go upstairs, use the shop entrance in the back. Those guys are fantastic! I'd suggest a little humility and follow the golden rule.

To narrow things down a bit, here is rideforum's info on riding areas.

http://rideforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1156

The guys I ride with are all early-mid 50's, has been racers and assorted freaks, birds of a feather.