ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
4-s-hsky OP
Just a simple farmer

Oddometer: 124
Hugellandschaft Adventure Ride-NW IL June 20-21, 2015

Okay, I’m going to try this once again because I am all about giving back. Years ago I organized an Adventure ride and other than a few club members one rider showed up. I like to think I’ve learned a few things since so here goes. The first ever Hugellandschaft Adventure Ride in northwest Illinois. I am of German heritage and if you are familiar with the areas topography the name will make sense. This will be a two day event, June 20 and 21. Yea I know that’s Father’s Day but there are only so many weekends in the summer. Official headquarters will be the Vel Terra Ranch and Campground in Woodbine Illinois. It’s a great family owned place with showers, Wi-Fi, some electric and water hookups, snack bar with limited camp supplies and get this, free firewood! Not a camper? No problem. There are two mom and pop motels close by, Marcottes Family Motel and the View Motel. Nearby Elizabeth has breakfast and dinner options as well as gas and a convenience store for groceries and beverages. Their ice cream is also quite tasty. The ride will be approximately 175 miles each day with an additional 30 mile loop option on Sunday. It’s a figure eight format returning to the campground and Elizabeth area Saturday evening. You will be passing through the cheddar curtain into Wisconsin for a few miles. The daily mileage will allow riders plenty of time to enjoy the sights and stops along the way. Road surfaces consist of lots of gravel, lots of blacktop and a small stretch of dirt. Lots of winding roads and elevation changes. Any type of bike will work and a large bike can easily navigate the whole weekend with the exception of a 1.5 mile dirt road that when wet is a real handful. I generally scout with my 650 Terra and that seems to work ideal. The entire track consists of public roads although I don’t know how long County Divide Road will remain open so let’s ride it while we can. What’s to see along the way one may wonder? Lots of beautiful countryside, a fair sized waterfall, the Apple River Fort site, lakes, rivers, native Indian monuments, an abandon rail tunnel, Jo Daviess Conservation Foundation preserve sites, a ski resort hill, the “Moonshine Store” of Scales Mound, State parks, bluff views, numerous one lane culverts under the railroad, a brewery and beer museum, the former Savanna Army Depot, quaint towns, old bridges and miles of smiles. I will prepare a meet and greet evening meal at the campground Friday evening June 19 and yes the menu will have some German flair. Saturday’s lunch stop recommendation will be the Potosi Brewery Cafe and the evening meal on your own in Elizabeth or back at the campground. Sunday’s lunch recommendation are the choices in either Mt. Carroll or Savanna depending on your progress. I still have some scouting and proofing to do when the weather cooperates and I will post the track when I get it completed. Don’t look for it much before June though. For now PM me if you are interested and when and if a list develops I will post it so others can add to it. More details and a few photos will follow as time allows. Vel Terra has only 30 sites and both motels are small so if you plan on attending I would not wait too long to reserve. Sharon at Vel Terra Ranch requests that you please wait until January to reserve a campsite as the holidays have them very busy. Be sure to mention you are with the Hugellandschaft motorcycle ride so she can place you near the group. Come ride the Hugellandschaft and follow the lederhosen.
Click on the following for more info.

Vel Terra Ranch

Marcottes Motel

The View Motel

In keeping with the theme here is a very important note. The lone police officer in Elizabeth is Nazi like with traffic laws. Obey the speed limit because he will pinch you if you don’t. He loves to hide at the downhill curve on the east end of town so beware.

4-s-hsky screwed with this post 12-18-2014 at 10:16 AM Reason: spellin
4-s-hsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:30 PM   #2
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 19,212
Thanks for putting this together Terry. It takes a lot of effort to set these things up. Much appreciated. Looks like it will be a great ride!
Old 12-16-2014, 10:15 PM   #3
markruplin
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Looks like fun! I'm planning on going. Lots of cool roads and stuff to see out that way. Ever been on Funk Road north of Mt. Carroll?
markruplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
reveille
Now 70% Better!

Oddometer: 899
Sounds like a plan to me. I will mark the calender and rally the troops.
reveille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #5
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 10,636
Best riding in the state up there . . . .. .IN!
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.” T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:15 PM   #6
zilla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,609
I'm going to have to get off my dead ass and get my DR350 going.

I live close to the area and have ridden the blacktop a lot. Looks like lots to see off it.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #7
4-s-hsky OP
Just a simple farmer

Oddometer: 124
Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by markruplin View Post
Looks like fun! I'm planning on going. Lots of cool roads and stuff to see out that way. Ever been on Funk Road north of Mt. Carroll?
Yes Funk Road has been a staple of many a ride in the Carroll/Jo Daviess/Stephenson County area. The township gave it a face lift about two years ago that removed some of its charm but it still never disappoints. The farmer on the northeast end has been slowly cleaning up his uh, well some might call it a junk pile but I prefer "collection of unusual items". I so do miss the phone booth that used to sit there.

4-s-hsky screwed with this post 12-18-2014 at 03:35 PM Reason: Spellin
4-s-hsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:28 PM   #8
markruplin
n00b

Terry, yep, know what you mean. LOL! Also the Broadway RD/Townsend Rd area, One time I was wandering west of Apple River State Park on Canyon and came to N Broadway which is dirt going S and West toward Townsend. Kinda remote. Also Some roads out of Winslow IL. real rough too. There are so many twisty remote roads west of Stockton and some east too on both sides of the Wi/Il border. I have a bunch of notes written down of cool roads I have come across over the years working out that way. A lot of times I look for neat old Truss bridges and I usually find the ones that are closed to traffic due to old age are usually on dead ends that go downhill. The neatest little one lane bridge still open is in Eppyanna, an old German settlement with 5 or 6 houses west of Davis Il. just N off of 75.

markruplin screwed with this post 12-17-2014 at 09:36 PM
Old 12-18-2014, 10:38 AM   #9
zilla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by markruplin View Post
Terry, yep, know what you mean. LOL! Also the Broadway RD/Townsend Rd area, One time I was wandering west of Apple River State Park on Canyon and came to N Broadway which is dirt going S and West toward Townsend. Kinda remote. Also Some roads out of Winslow IL. real rough too. There are so many twisty remote roads west of Stockton and some east too on both sides of the Wi/Il border. I have a bunch of notes written down of cool roads I have come across over the years working out that way. A lot of times I look for neat old Truss bridges and I usually find the ones that are closed to traffic due to old age are usually on dead ends that go downhill. The neatest little one lane bridge still open is in Eppyanna, an old German settlement with 5 or 6 houses west of Davis Il. just N off of 75.
We used to party out at the Epplyanna bridge years ago....
Old 12-18-2014, 08:31 PM   #10
Layton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Hmm, I'd like to ride this but I'll be returning from the Black Hills that weekend.

To much riding and not enough time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Layton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:07 PM   #11
markruplin
n00b

yea Zilla, it's a cool old bridge ain't it! In Rockford We used to party under the new and on top of the old Perryville rd. bridge over the Kishwaukee river back in 80-81!
Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM   #12
Mad Jack
TOYS IN THE ATTIC

Oddometer: 128
Hugellandshaft ??

Ich spreche kein Deutsch !

peace out [ya nazi farmer]

roost on in the frozen tundra
Mad Jack
Mad Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM   #13
foxfire
YRUYUR?

Oddometer: 1,146
Interested...cant commit quite yet though.
foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote