ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2008, 04:25 PM   #511
KTM640Dakar
Motorsick

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC-Shifter
If you don't have a baby-sitter lined up, I'd like to volunteer my services for as long as you need while you're away. I promise not to treat her like a WR250f.

\
I talked to Bruno yesterday. It sounds like he sold the 1200 GS. He was going to pick a guy up at the airport who was flying from Iowa to pick up the bike. I bet he had a cold ride back to Iowa yesterday! And he would have had to ride today too.

Bruno was kind of bumbed out that he might be getting swindled if this guy had a check. I told him to go to the bank and cash it before he drove him to his house to give him the keys. To make things even more exciting Bruno was supposed to travel to Portugal last night and this guy coming to pick up the bike last minute was making Bruno's trip overseas even harder to pack and prepare for.

I would feel sorry for Bruno having to rush to get back to fly out except he's going to go on vacation for a week in the warm Med and he will probably buy a shiney new 2009 BMW 1200 GS Adventure next spring.

sOUNDS hIGH fENDER................

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:27 PM   #512
KTM640Dakar
Motorsick

Quote:
Cool, thanks J. I will put together some questions I have and email them. It's just that it's easier to actually have a knowledgeable individual walking me through the steps in person.

MC what kind of GPS do you have?

Old 11-21-2008, 04:40 AM   #513
andywaddell
'tard bike king

Oddometer: 112
KY ADV Photos Posted

Hey, guys...I finally got my Kentucky ADV photos posted on my website. Goto www.andywaddell.com, then Photo Album, then you'll see the link. The photos are reduced in size and quality, but give a general idea. This is my first 'net post of ride photos, so comments are welcome as to how to improve it!
2001 XR650R (sold)
www.andywaddell.com
andywaddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:12 AM   #514
MC-Shifter
aka Shifter

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM640Dakar
MC what kind of GPS do you have?
Todd, I have a garmin 60cx. And I love it. The more I learn it, the more there is to know. Although I've heard Garmin is going to discontinue the 60 series. Which is a bummer.

MC-Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #515
andywaddell
'tard bike king

Quote:
Todd, I have a garmin 60cx. And I love it. The more I learn it, the more there is to know. Although I've heard Garmin is going to discontinue the 60 series. Which is a bummer.
As a fairly hard-core GPS'er for the last 6 years or so, I can also put in a very strong vote for the 60Cx. Without getting into all the details and geek-speak, let's just say the 60Cx hits the sweet spot of performance, cost, capability, programmability/software/map functions and usability for the offroad and/or ADV application. You simply won't find another unit better for what we do.

If Garmin discontinues them I'll be the first to buy a second one as a back-up unit to my current 60Cx. They're that good (and nothing else is even a close enough competitor to consider, IMHO). They run about $250; figure closer to $300-$325 by the time you figure in taxes, a RAM mounting system, etc. Very nice unit.
2001 XR650R (sold)
www.andywaddell.com
Old 11-21-2008, 05:20 PM   #516
KTM640Dakar
Motorsick

I have never seen a 60. Do they have as big of a screen as the 176, 276, 376 series?

I would expect that they are simular.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:34 PM   #517
KTM640Dakar
Motorsick

Anyone see this helmet in person?

Old 11-21-2008, 07:08 PM   #518
andywaddell
'tard bike king

Quote:
I have never seen a 60. Do they have as big of a screen as the 176, 276, 376 series?

I would expect that they are simular.
Just goto the garmin site at www.garmin.com and check 'em all out/look at the specs pages. Just guessing as I'm not going to the site now (something about a few glasses of Australian red wine on a Friday night makes me not interested in doing the comparo right now ), but I believe the 60Cx probably has a smaller screen. But I'm also guessing the others don't have the map downloading capability and other stuff that makes the 60Cx so versatile. (And you DO need to look at the 60Cx, not the 60 series...big difference). As I said in the previous message it's the combination of functionality that makes the 60Cx the hot ticket. Yeah others have bigger screens, but no download capability. Or this. Or that. Or the other thing. The 60Cx has them all to a good degree/nice blend, and at a great price point.
2001 XR650R (sold)
www.andywaddell.com
Old 11-22-2008, 06:15 AM   #519
2TrakR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
60 series screen is effectively half the size of a 276/376.

Advantage of the 60cx over those models:
Uses 2 AA batteries instead of model-specific module (ie you can easily replace the AA while on the trail).
Sirf III chip set - major advantage - this picks up and retains satellite lock _very_ well. Under decent tree canopy the 276/etc will drop signal, will get "lost" basically, until you get back in the open or stop in a somewhat open area long enough for it to pick back up. The 60CX on the other hand will rarely drop signal (almost never in MI, but sometimes in narrow canyon/valley like in West Virginia/Tennessee).
Standard Memory cards, the microSD card, for storing maps. 2GB card can be found most anywhere for <$30 where the 276/etc take special Garmin Data Cards that are hard to find and expensive ($80 for 128MB).
Daylight-readable screen. The 60 is actually easier to read in direct sunlight than in the shade.

It will be awesome if Garmin ever puts the Sirf III & standard memory expansion into a 276.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:22 AM   #520
andywaddell
'tard bike king

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywaddell
Just goto the garmin site at www.garmin.com and check 'em all out/look at the specs pages. Just guessing as I'm not going to the site now (something about a few glasses of Australian red wine on a Friday night makes me not interested in doing the comparo right now ),
Since the wine has worn off and the coffee is kicking in , I went to the Garmin site. Just looked at a 276 for comparison purposes. No SIRF III chipset, which is a deal-killer. The SIRF III chipset makes for basically unstoppable reception quality, which is a must-have in deep woods. Without the SIRF III chipset you'll be dropping out satellite fix all the time. That's one of the reasons I went to the 60Cx, BTW, is I was losing sat lock in the woods on my GPS-V too often.
2001 XR650R (sold)
www.andywaddell.com
Old 11-22-2008, 06:31 AM   #521
John-610
John W.

Oddometer: 125
Quote:

No but on closeouts.com I think they were giving away a free bowl of soup to anyone that bought one.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/o...enge+-+size+lg

$394 - $200 off for the yellow one
John-610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:39 AM   #522
KTM640Dakar
Motorsick

If you run across a red large priced like this please let me know.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:22 PM   #523
JRobertson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165

I think Don and Bruno use that helmet. I have the Shoe Hornet its quieter and less wind problems.
JRobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:58 PM   #524
Bruno T . OP
N8YQ

Oddometer: 1,873
My 1200 Adventure went to a very nice guy, i hope he enjoys it as much as i did.

Maybe you can put together another Detroit ADV rider thread get together, Todd. I would like that.

I just read about the degenerate that got angry because i decided to ignore him after he offered me $12,500 for my 1200 Adventure -- too funny !
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:41 PM   #525
KTM640Dakar
Motorsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by btome
My 1200 Adventure went to a very nice guy, i hope he enjoys it as much as i did.

Maybe you can put together another Detroit ADV rider thread get together, Todd. I would like that.

I just read about the degenerate that got angry because i decided to ignore him after he offered me $12,500 for my 1200 Adventure -- too funny !
The guy low balls you and of course your not going to take him seriously. He sounds like a young kid.

Hey maybe it is time for a pre-dakar Dakar party. Including, Dakar videos, teaching MC how to use GPS, and changing the oil in my BMW.

Alright, you guys probably don't want to change my oil but Dakar sounds good. And GPS is easy MC, I can get you up to speed in no time.

Bring your GPS and your laptop if you use it with GPS. I have some old Speedvision era videos that I need to convert to DVD.

Bruno's got-em I think.

So have you ordered the new GS yet B? Black and Red right?