ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2011, 06:36 AM   #5776
Bruno T . OP
N8YQ

Oddometer: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM640Dakar View Post
These traditional dances usually get contagious as other "non hondah" guys try to get a kick in.

There's something contagious alright.

Matt can't get enough. Only thing better than kicking one honduh is kicking two .

Congratulations on your new XR-R, Matt !

We're now officially surrounded and outnumbered.
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:45 AM   #5777
timdog
a.k.a. Josh

Oddometer: 616
"Red" is the new "orange" for 2012.
timdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:25 AM   #5778
bigtrailie
He shoots-HE SCORES!

Oddometer: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno T . View Post
There's something contagious alright.

Matt can't get enough. Only thing better than kicking one honduh is kicking two .

Congratulations on your new XR-R, Matt !

We're now officially surrounded and outnumbered.
As many of you might already know, my XR600R has a bad reputation when it comes to cold starting. But once it has been started, it usually starts on the first or second kick throughout the weekend. But if it sits for a few days or more, it's back to kicking, kicking, kicking. I'm suprised Todd (KTM640 Dakar) hasn't posted photos of me trying to start it, based on the kick starting comments in recent posts.

This problem had become worse. At the Ted's Chandler Hill Challenge GLDS ride, the XR600 was reluctant to start (it was a very cold, damp morning) and a group of about 8 riders waited, and waited some more as I worked myself into a red-faced sweaty mess trying to kick start the pig. Bruno found some starting fluid in the Boobie Trailer and once used, the bike began to caugh, then sputter, then finally fire up and run. Off we rode, but the bikes reluctance to start surely was the cause for a late arival at the lunch break.

When the day was done, Bruno pulled me aside and said "It's time -- you need to do something about that bike." --- so the search on Craigs List began. This resulted in the '05 cherry BRP you see in the bed of my pick-up above. I haven't tried to start it in the dead of winter yet, but when the temps were in the 50's it started with 4 -5 kicks.

Hopefully a new set of rings and lapping the valves will make the XR600R a better cold starter. It had better -- once the top end is done, the ice tires are going back on and the XR6 will begin its next phase of life -- ice bike / back up dual sport for out of town visitors.

'04 KTM 950 ADVENTURE (black) - '05 Honda XR650R (plated) - '97 Honda XR600R (plated) - '99 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (joy rides with my wife and kids)
bigtrailie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #5779
Bruno T . OP
N8YQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrailie View Post
but the bikes reluctance to start surely was the cause for a late arival at the lunch break.
. . . which would have been fine if the ktm (e-start) guys hadn't gotten there so much earlier and ate all the food !

See, it's not just a matter of preference, it's a matter of safety. You could starve to death.

On another note, i'll be heading down to the Sandblast Rallye in South Carolina on Feb 2. I'll have room for 2 more bikes/riders + gear if someone here would like to go.

http://sandblastrally.linaracing.com/2012/
Old 12-21-2011, 08:51 AM   #5780
Dfrnt
Just pluggin' along

Oddometer: 922
Quote:
so the search on Craigs List began.
If you needed help with the Craigslist search, you should have asked. Next time, just type "KTM". Drink the orange Kool-Aid. This one is definitely an improvement that we all shall enjoy. Someone must have told him that Honduh riders are preferred by Jagermeister chicks, or is it the other way around?
Old 12-21-2011, 09:27 AM   #5781
Bruno T . OP
N8YQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by proeasy View Post
my XR-400 may need an upper end rebuild as it is loving oil these days. This task is beyond my scope, any recomended shops in the Nortvhille/Plymouth Canton area?

Paul O
If you're not in a hurry i can get to it after i free up some space in a few weeks.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #5782
pman13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by timdog View Post
Thanks for the info. (I will print this and tape it to my gas tank.)

Yes, it is new to me. I just picked it up on Sunday. I kicked it 4-5 times without success. Mike started it in about 2 kicks. I have complete confidence that when I learn the procedure it will not be a problem. Everybody else seems concerned, however.

And Aaron, I will save the fork rebuild for you. You bring a rock, I will bring a stick. (sorry, private joke)
Once you get the hang of it, it will only take a kick or two. The only times it doesn't follow that rule is because you dumped it (the TM40 usually fixes that), or you are on a hill and can't get a good kick.
2000 YZ 125 and 2007 KTM 990 Adventurer S
Member of: GLDS, NOMADS, AMA
pman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #5783
KTM640Dakar
Motorsick

Oddometer: 1,995
Quote:
I'm suprised Todd (KTM640 Dakar) hasn't posted photos of me trying to start it, based on the kick starting comments in recent posts.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:43 AM   #5784
two trackin fool
Scott

Oddometer: 1,178
These " Tree Hugger " idiots need to be taken out in the woods and forgot about !

I've about had it with them
Old 12-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #5785
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by two trackin fool View Post
These " Tree Hugger " idiots need to be taken out in the woods and forgot about !

I've about had it with them
+980001.
The irony I have witnessed is that these fern sniffers access the woods via the ORV trail , then bitch about motorized vehicles using it! They don't know how the trail they're using got there, nor do they care. There is plenty of "wilderness" out there for them. They're just too lazy or stupid to access it because it hasn't been improved for them. AARRGHH. Fries my shorts also.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #5786
Dfrnt
Just pluggin' along

Oddometer: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM640Dakar View Post

The amazing part is that he just keeps smilin' the whole time. That's Honda love right there.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #5787
KTM640Dakar
Motorsick

Oddometer: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfrnt View Post
The amazing part is that he just keeps smilin' the whole time. That's Honda love right there.

It may be the relentless banter that was being slung at him as we counted his furious kicks. We usually place bets on how many kicks he will need to kick that beast to life. Thirty eight was the majic number that morning I recall.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:35 AM   #5788
Bruno T . OP
N8YQ

I like how he's just casually standing there kickin on it repeatedly like it's a little 125. Side stand . . we don't need no stinking side stand
Old 12-23-2011, 07:08 AM   #5789
Bruno T . OP
N8YQ

Look what just landed;

Nice.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #5790
Bruno T . OP
N8YQ

38 & sunny tomorrow, about the same on Monday.

Anybody up for a local dirt ride ?