ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #6316
hollywood_72
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsport_freak View Post
Didn't Kennedy have a very similar Hematoma last year around this same exact time? I seem to remember him all stiff and soar last year at Frederic.
Yep. It must have something to do with the month of May, not the rider.

Kennedy
hollywood_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:32 AM   #6317
Bruno T . OP
N8YQ

Oddometer: 1,807
Whiskey Creek is coming up;

AMA National Dual sport ride. It's a great venue and an awesome weekend.

I heard rumors that this years routes will make the Erzberg look like a walk in the park

Go here for all the details -- http://www.gldsmc.org/12WCC.html
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:37 AM   #6318
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,032
Currently on a long trip (three years), but missing my hometown. Just started with this adventure thing, hell, just started with this whole riding thing. :)

Glad to know there is a crowd back home.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #6319
mbim12
1200 GSA

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
Currently on a long trip (three years), but missing my hometown. Just started with this adventure thing, hell, just started with this whole riding thing. :)

Glad to know there is a crowd back home.
The biggest adventure in Duesseldorf is riding along the Koenigsalle on a Saturday afternoon

How long will you be there?
Old 05-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #6320
malignity
The Hurt Locker

Oddometer: 361
Bruno, nice to meet you at Frederic.

As for not seeing my tail light, well, you called it. It broke cause my bike fell over and hit a stump while I was taking a piss. Snapped right off. Not quite how you called it, but you still couldn't see my tail light like you suspected. LOL

Btw, to the others; I was the other injured guy. I just learned that I wasn't the only one today, and saw those pics and was like 'ohhhhh... that must be the other guy!' How the hell did you pull off a bruise like that? I have to ask.

As for my bang up, I don't really have much of an excuse other than coming off of a 5 year dirt bike hiatus. Been riding dirt bikes for 20 years. I'm just rustier than shit.

Needless to say, after riding Lee's Katoom for about 10 miles on Sunday (Yep, I went out riding Loop B with a torn rotator cuff) I'm putting my XRL up for sale. That 450XC-W screams. Did most of Loop B with zero issues. Great ride, great time. I'd love to go ridin' with ya sometime Bruno.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #6321
proeasy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Whiskey Creek

OK after many threats to show up, I registered for Whiskey Creek. Got to support the Italian made bike with the Sweedish DNA, now owned by zee Germans.

Paul O
Husky TE-510
Stumpjumper Carbon 29'r PRO
proeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #6322
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbim12 View Post
The biggest adventure in Duesseldorf is riding along the Koenigsalle on a Saturday afternoon

How long will you be there?
I've got another year or so to go. I love riding up the Kö, what a hoot. All those people....

So far my favorite ride in Germany has been on parts of the Rheinstraße - the road that goes by the river. I've got a trip to Frankfurt tomorrow, will probably hit up the middle stretch on the way home instead of the A3.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:46 AM   #6323
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,880
Quote:
I've got another year or so to go. I love riding up the Kö, what a hoot. All those people....

So far my favorite ride in Germany has been on parts of the Rheinstraße - the road that goes by the river. I've got a trip to Frankfurt tomorrow, will probably hit up the middle stretch on the way home instead of the A3.
Have you found B48 yet? It heads south out of Bingerbruck off the B42 towards Kaiserslautern. Past K-town, it gets REALLY good. Heck you even get to ride the ferry across the Rhein River.
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
Spotwalla
sleazy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:59 AM   #6324
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleazy rider View Post
Have you found B48 yet? It heads south out of Bingerbruck off the B42 towards Kaiserslautern. Past K-town, it gets REALLY good. Heck you even get to ride the ferry across the Rhein River.
No, but I will now! I'm headed out to Sauerland with my instructor this summer, that is supposed to be pretty awesome, too. We ride together occasionally, but he won't go south with me due to my propensity to put my Golf on the Nordschleife. He thinks I might drag his ass out there. lol

Because shifter sticker!

Old 05-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #6325
mbim12
1200 GSA

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
No, but I will now! I'm headed out to Sauerland with my instructor this summer, that is supposed to be pretty awesome, too. We ride together occasionally, but he won't go south with me due to my propensity to put my Golf on the Nordschleife. He thinks I might drag his ass out there. lol

Because shifter sticker!

Not far from D'dorf is the "Eifel" it's like a volcanic area and beautiful for day rides a lot of narrow twisty roads. If you have bit more time it stretches up all the way to the Nuerburg ring. A lot of old castles on the way.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #6326
KTM640Dakar
Motorsick

Oddometer: 1,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno T . View Post
Whiskey Creek is coming up;

AMA National Dual sport ride. It's a great venue and an awesome weekend.

I heard rumors that this years routes will make the Erzberg look like a walk in the park

Go here for all the details -- http://www.gldsmc.org/12WCC.html
So much to do so little time. Going to Road America to watch AMA road racing that weekend. Doing the Harley Museum in Milwaukee and eating Wisconsin cheeze, pizza and beer all weekend. I hope the lake ferry is smooth sailing. That cat boat can suck in a rough sea.

Have fun in sandland.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:28 AM   #6327
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbim12 View Post
Not far from D'dorf is the "Eifel" it's like a volcanic area and beautiful for day rides a lot of narrow twisty roads. If you have bit more time it stretches up all the way to the Nuerburg ring. A lot of old castles on the way.
I have, erm, been there. My Golf has already 8 laps in. Poor thing, she is not so good for track duty! I am trying to convince myself to take the bike.

Was just on the B9 yesterday, coming home from Frankfurt. I wish I could bring everyone to ride that rode, positively gorgeous and *twisty*!
Old 05-25-2012, 05:22 AM   #6328
Neubie
n00b

Oddometer: 3
trip route

Hello, I've followed along for a while and I have a question. I live in Waterford and I need advice on a route to Franklin, Tennessee. The catch is I want to avoid freeways and gravel roads as much as possible. Any suggestions on how to map this out? I will be traveling without GPS, and I'd like to make it down there in 2 1/2 to 3 days to visit family with the same time frame to return. I will be traveling light and staying in motels. Any help would be great. Thanks
Neubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:40 AM   #6329
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,761
Speaking of Germany

My son is an Army MP. Recently stationed in Wiesbaden. Haven't heard much out of him since he got there. Karma I guess, I didn't write or call mommy and daddy much when I was in the Army either. He's having big fun. From what little info I can squeeze out of him, it seems as though a German motorcycle license is tough and expensive to get? We're making plans for summer 2013 to fly in and rent bikes for a couple weeks. I have a bazillion questions. Whats the best weather month for riding? Is a MI. drivers license acceptable? Where should I rent the bikes? Yada-yada, on and on....Any advice, tips, tricks, warnings, lectures, would be greatly appreciated. Not asking anyone to do my homework for me. Just point me in the right direction.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:55 AM   #6330
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
My son is an Army MP. Recently stationed in Wiesbaden. Haven't heard much out of him since he got there. Karma I guess, I didn't write or call mommy and daddy much when I was in the Army either. He's having big fun. From what little info I can squeeze out of him, it seems as though a German motorcycle license is tough and expensive to get? We're making plans for summer 2013 to fly in and rent bikes for a couple weeks. I have a bazillion questions. Whats the best weather month for riding? Is a MI. drivers license acceptable? Where should I rent the bikes? Yada-yada, on and on....Any advice, tips, tricks, warnings, lectures, would be greatly appreciated. Not asking anyone to do my homework for me. Just point me in the right direction.

I can answer a couple of questions:
May can be a rainy month, I was in Germany in 2009 in late May and got rained on for a couple of days, so I would go June to August if possible.

Driver's license: you can get an "International Driving Permit" at any AAA office, you just have to get a AAA membership, which is $50 for the year. The permit costs $25 on top of that. The permit is valid for one year from the issue date Do like I did and flirt with the clerk while she is issuing the permit and she might forget to put a date on it, so you can write on it a date with a pencil and re-use it forever.

Learn a few German phrases as the old folks don't speak much English, ride the Alps if you can, the mountain passes are gorgeous!

Have fun!

Marco.