ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #6436
bentmettle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Rode up in Evart today for the first time.

Wow.

Wish I had more skillz. How do people ride that twice or more in one day? It sort of whooped my ass.
bentmettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #6437
KTM640Dakar
Motorsick

Oddometer: 2,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentmettle View Post

Wow.

Wish I had more skillz. How do people ride that twice or more in one day? It sort of whooped my ass.
I love that trail. I rode it backwards on a wheelie once.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #6438
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Evart is fun. Tomahawk C is better. Or maybe Hunt Creek.

Northern Michigan home on 40 wooded acres for sale. Located on MCCT, ride direct to over 200 miles of ORV trails. 4 miles of trails on the property. PM me for more info
KTM Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:55 AM   #6439
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Mike View Post
Evart is fun. Tomahawk C is better. Or maybe Hunt Creek.
And while I agree with the above statement, I have to throw Lincoln hills into the list of favorites.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:31 AM   #6440
pman13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:

Wow.

I hear you. The first time I rode it, I thought it was tough because it was one of the first times riding a trail. The second time several years later, the whoops just kicked my ass. I was passed by a group that reinforced the idea that I have a lot to learn.
2000 YZ 125 and 2007 KTM 990 Adventurer S
Member of: GLDS, NOMADS, AMA
pman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:51 AM   #6441
malignity
The Hurt Locker

Oddometer: 361
I finally bought a full sized van to go to more GLDS rides... On the way home, the van died on me.Oh the anger I feel right now.

To be fair though, I got it for half of the bluebook price.
malignity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #6442
Bruno T . OP
N8YQ

Oddometer: 1,900
Evart is a favorite of mine. Good training and you can even take a dip in the lake to cool off.

Tomahawk B & C are favorites too, a lot further to go for me though.
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #6443
bentmettle
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno T . View Post
Evart is a favorite of mine. Good training

I find myself overall frustrated, being new to trail riding, that I can't the motorcycle to do the things I'm comfortable doing on my mountain bike. I busted the hell out of my wrist when I was 14 on a motorcycle and pretty much didn't touch one again until I bought a KLR 4 years ago, and now the XR400 this spring.

What kind of "training" does a person do? Do you session certain areas or work specific skills? Or just go like hell?

That's the important part of my question- how does a non-competitive type person work through a skills progression when they start riding in their late 30s?
Old 07-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #6444
Dfrnt
Just pluggin' along

Oddometer: 953
Quote:
I find myself overall frustrated, being new to trail riding, that I can't the motorcycle to do the things I'm comfortable doing on my mountain bike. I busted the hell out of my wrist when I was 14 on a motorcycle and pretty much didn't touch one again until I bought a KLR 4 years ago, and now the XR400 this spring.

What kind of "training" does a person do? Do you session certain areas or work specific skills? Or just go like hell?

That's the important part of my question- how does a non-competitive type person work through a skills progression when they start riding in their late 30s?
Best training is here http://gldsmc.org/index.html Just join up and ride as much as you can. The more you ride, the better you will be. Just remember to ride at a pace that you and your bike are comfortable at. There will always be somebody faster with more skills but keep riding and you will get better. BTW, I restarted in my 50's so it is possible to get back into it and have a ball, especially with you being wet behind the ears yet
Old 07-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #6445
bentmettle
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfrnt View Post
Best training is here http://gldsmc.org/index.html Just join up and ride as much as you can. The more you ride, the better you will be. Just remember to ride at a pace that you and your bike are comfortable at. There will always be somebody faster with more skills but keep riding and you will get better. BTW, I restarted in my 50's so it is possible to get back into it and have a ball, especially with you being wet behind the ears yet

I'd like to get up and try that. Scheduling is always a bear.

I'd also like to get up for a trail work day or two. Just did a Stihl chainsaw safety seminar to keep the DNR happier when cleaning up bicycle trails around here. Carrying one on a motorcycle has to be quicker than on a bicycle
Old 07-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #6446
two trackin fool
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
last time I rode in Rose City area it was a big group , BentWheels put it on anyway the fast guys pass you and you will pass someone your group will end up together . You will get to know them !!!

It all works out Just ride at your level so that YOU can enjoy it !!

BRUNO T,

Yes the two older kids and I rode all of Tomahawk one year with CCC and had a blast at the time my girl was ten I told her she one the Iron butt award . It was frigin Sweet !!!!!

two trackin fool screwed with this post 07-09-2012 at 04:49 PM
two trackin fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #6447
Bruno T . OP
N8YQ

Oddometer: 1,900
Quote:

Evart is a bad choice for a rookie rider, imo.

Practice your balance on the motorcycle, at slow speed. Balance is extremely important.

There are many aspects you will come to realize that require specific practice and focused training. Analyze what you do right and wrong and work on your shortcomings.

Ride with someone more skilled than you, preferably someone who will not tell you what you want to hear, but rather will be critical of your riding thereby helping you to identify and improve on specific things.

You already have a huge advantage, you have the desire to improve and you don't seem to suffer from the biggest of all handicaps - the "i'm a rock star rider and David Knight would eat my dust" syndrome.

Ride a lot. Get back up. Ride some more.

You can do it !
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #6448
hollywood_72
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno T . View Post
Ride with someone more skilled than you, preferably someone who will not tell you what you want to hear, but rather will be critical of your riding thereby helping you to identify and improve on specific things.
I find this to be one of the best ways to learn, especially following them to watch their lines and body position. But remember not everyone has the same riding styles and there is no right or wrong style just whatever feels best to you.

Kennedy
hollywood_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #6449
pbreisch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Bruno and the rest of the guys in GLDS are fantastic. After just one weekend they taught me more then I would have learned in a year on my own. I really regret missing the last couple rides but I have my vacation time scheduled for the one in 2 (3?) weeks.
pbreisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #6450
proeasy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Riding the two East Portions of the CannonTrek UP route this weekend, will unfortunately have to pass on the Rainbow Lodge,,,, will not miss the sand in that section.

Paul O
proeasy is offline   Reply With Quote