ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #7336
KTM640Dakar
Motorsick

Oddometer: 1,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdewers View Post
Sorry for the low Res - this is the best the old blackberry could do to catch Bruno before he avoided the spotlight altogether. Bet there are some choice Portuguese words coming out of his mouth right now!

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #7337
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,567
Dive! Dive! Dive!
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #7338
pbreisch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
You guys have way too much fun. I have to get out and ride with you guys next year (or this year based on our weather). I did the GLDS thing and it is a great club but I was out there by myself, no camaraderie per-say. I was going to sell my bike but couldn't stop looking in this thread at the fun you guys were having. The feeling of relief I had when a potential buyer fell through was enough to tell me I need to give it another chance. Plus I want to be one of the cool kids too
pbreisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #7339
timdog
a.k.a. Josh

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
Dive! Dive! Dive!
I am still waiting for the full story.
timdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #7340
traveltoad
Aaron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdog View Post
I am still waiting for the full story.
Like all good stories, I am sure it starts with..."I was just riding along when..."
Old 12-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #7341
Bruno T . OP
N8YQ

Oddometer: 1,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbreisch View Post
You guys have way too much fun. I have to get out and ride with you guys next year (or this year based on our weather). I did the GLDS thing and it is a great club but I was out there by myself, no camaraderie per-say. I was going to sell my bike but couldn't stop looking in this thread at the fun you guys were having. The feeling of relief I had when a potential buyer fell through was enough to tell me I need to give it another chance. Plus I want to be one of the cool kids too
That's great news, Phil.

As far as the camaraderie thing, you're absolutely right. It can be a little bit of work to hook up with a riders group that is matched with your riding ability and preferences, but it's well worth the effort to do so.

You've got a sweet, very well set up bike. Put some time on it in the dirt, it's not gonna happen in just a few weeks but the results you're looking for will come.

You can do it !
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #7342
Dfrnt
Just pluggin' along

Oddometer: 928
A solution

Hey Bruno, check out United States Patent 3709185:

An amphibious motor bike in which collapsible pontoons may be inflated and removably secured to the sides of the motor bike for supporting it on a body of water and at a position where the water level will be not higher than the lower one-third portion of the rear wheel. The pontoons are sectionalized and can be removed from the motor bike sides and deflated and collapsed like an accordion and then mounted in carriers arranged at the sides of the motor bike. A linear and flexible water paddle has articulated sections which permit it to be removably mounted on the rear tire of the motor bike so as to be rotated thereby and thus propel the motor bike over the body of water. A rudder can be moved from inoperative into operative position and it will be actuated by the operator manipulating the handle bars for steering the vehicle over the water.

Pics: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3709185.pdf
Old 12-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #7343
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
Like all good stories, I am sure it starts with..."I was just riding along when..."
Or, 'Hold my beer and watch this'.....
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #7344
Bruno T . OP
N8YQ

Oddometer: 1,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfrnt View Post
The solution
... is to let someone else go first [and move the damn floating branch out the way]
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #7345
traveltoad
Aaron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno T . View Post
... is to let someone else go first
No problem...
Old 12-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #7346
Matt W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343

Hey guys my name is Matt, I am a newbie, well took off 3 years and had to go a different direction due to the economy. I am looking to get back into the game. I was able to get back into Mt. Biking again and now that has started the dirt bike itch. I had a big bike before because I liked to camp and do long distance stuff but would like to get into the single track and the GLDS events this time around. I took both a KLR650 and a F800gs on 2 separate events and it was to much.... sand and 400+ pounds for a newbie is no good. They were great for lake superior trip and Blue ridge mts. but not single track in the hands of this rider. I would appreciate any tips and advice, I am currently looking for a 450 to have some fun with for both the local McBiker rides and the events. Thanks in advance for the help and support, looks like a lot of fun is had here.
Matt
Old 12-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #7347
mbim12
1200 GSA

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt W View Post
Hey guys my name is Matt, I am a newbie, well took off 3 years and had to go a different direction due to the economy. I am looking to get back into the game. I was able to get back into Mt. Biking again and now that has started the dirt bike itch. I had a big bike before because I liked to camp and do long distance stuff but would like to get into the single track and the GLDS events this time around. I took both a KLR650 and a F800gs on 2 separate events and it was to much.... sand and 400+ pounds for a newbie is no good. They were great for lake superior trip and Blue ridge mts. but not single track in the hands of this rider. I would appreciate any tips and advice, I am currently looking for a 450 to have some fun with for both the local McBiker rides and the events. Thanks in advance for the help and support, looks like a lot of fun is had here.
Matt
Welcome back Matt, good to see your still around.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #7348
Matt W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbim12 View Post
Welcome back Matt, good to see your still around.
Thanks. It is good to be back. Couple rough years but all good. Glad to see your having fun. I do need to ask. How did you super ninja that bike into a tree. Oh my. Hope to get a bike soon to hit the dirt.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #7349
traveltoad
Aaron S

One more reason to stay away from hard bags.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #7350
bigtrailie
He shoots-HE SCORES!

Oddometer: 602
I think KTM640DAKAR (Todd) can relate to that video. He hooked a soft bag on a fence post while riding his Ducati 996 around a parking lot at an AMA roadracing event (Mid-Ohio? Road America? Can't remember).

It is far better to rip a soft bag or tear a strap than to hit hard stuff against hard stuff.

Anybody have any experience tearing Gobi bags off a KTM Adventure? I'm assuming that those tupperware boxes will "give" if push comes to shove. Probably better than aluminum panier boxes.

'04 KTM 950 ADVENTURE (black) - '05 Honda XR650R (plated) - '97 Honda XR600R (plated) - '99 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (joy rides with my wife and kids)
bigtrailie is offline   Reply With Quote