ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2008, 09:07 AM   #76
motogearhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Riding Plans

Howdy all!

I'm in the same boat as awschmidt, I've been lucky enough to use the Vstrom (Rhino) for work travel this summer (6K+ miles) and I did ride it at the Baldwin ADV ride but no opportinunities to get into the woods on the KTM...I need to change that!!

I'm definately riding the Vstrom (w/TKCs) at CHC on the 27/28. I may take the KTM to St Helen next week end for at least 1 day. I also plan to ride the KTM at the Color Tour. Randy
motogearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #77
GooseR6
Ride the World!

Oddometer: 101
Hey Randy-

I can't remember, did you do the CHC adv ride with the V last year? I am assuming knobs are a must for the Wee/V? I guess I am just being cheap/lazy and should order them this week.

BTW: The skidplate fits great. Got a little bit of use for it on the trip to Maine.

Thanks-
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogearhead
Howdy all!

I'm in the same boat as awschmidt, I've been lucky enough to use the Vstrom (Rhino) for work travel this summer (6K+ miles) and I did ride it at the Baldwin ADV ride but no opportinunities to get into the woods on the KTM...I need to change that!!

I'm definately riding the Vstrom (w/TKCs) at CHC on the 27/28. I may take the KTM to St Helen next week end for at least 1 day. I also plan to ride the KTM at the Color Tour. Randy
Old 09-07-2008, 04:25 PM   #78
motogearhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseR6
Hey Randy-

I can't remember, did you do the CHC adv ride with the V last year? I am assuming knobs are a must for the Wee/V? I guess I am just being cheap/lazy and should order them this week.

BTW: The skidplate fits great. Got a little bit of use for it on the trip to Maine.

Thanks-
Mark

Mark,

I didn't ride CHC last year but I've ridden that area enough to know that sand is a probability...it was on the adventure loop in Baldwin. I wouldn't want any part of it without knobs. I actually like the TKCs on the vstrom...even on the interstate...they just don't last long enough!

I'll be looking forward to hearing about that Maine trip! Randy
Old 09-07-2008, 04:36 PM   #79
awschmidt
ride-reckit-wrench-repeat

Oddometer: 90
How many miles are you guys getting out of tkcs on stroms? I'm getting about 3k out of the rear and 6k out of the front on the panzer.

Kevin
awschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:49 PM   #80
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,151
If I may chime in, you guys have class. Baldy answered back and said there is really no easy way to restore the old thread, which is as I suspected.

You guys have carried on and kept it going, thats what fucking ADVRider is all about.

Thanks for putting up with our occasional mistakes.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:57 PM   #81
timdog
a.k.a. Josh

Oddometer: 617
BigTraile Guided Bike Tours

If you ever get get up by Gladwin/St. Helen, I highly recommend you do a "BigTraile Guided Bike Tour." Just bring your own helmet, everything else is included. I did the ten hour tour today, and it was a blast. The package includes your choice of either a Honda XR600 or KTM 520, bottled water, lunch (with all-you-can-eat onion rings) and some of the best trail riding in Michigan.

I think I lost my security deposit on the KTM, however. I returned it muddy, out of gas, with a bent hand guard and non operating shift lever.

Thanks again guys, it was great!
timdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:40 AM   #82
motogearhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by awschmidt
How many miles are you guys getting out of tkcs on stroms? I'm getting about 3k out of the rear and 6k out of the front on the panzer.

Kevin

I didn't keep real close tabs on my mileage because I switched the TKCs on and off...but I'm adding up about 5K and the rear center knobs are almost gone. The front looks to be about 1/2. Maybe I shouldn't be complaining! Randy
Old 09-08-2008, 06:03 AM   #83
MC-Shifter
aka Shifter

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
If I may chime in, you guys have class. Baldy answered back and said there is really no easy way to restore the old thread, which is as I suspected.

You guys have carried on and kept it going, thats what fucking ADVRider is all about.

Thanks for putting up with our occasional mistakes.
No Philspace.

Thank you guys.

ADVrider has changed my life. I have made more new friends than I can count. And having an ADV sticker on my bike has saved my ass more than once in foreign lands.

I think I can speak for others on this thread with this comment: The last thing we're going to do is piss a bitch because we lost our data and our odometer counts. You mods have let us do our thing here in Detroit. I'm sure some of our conversations belong in other forums. But the banter and ball busting that goes on here on a daily basis helps many of us get through the day, the week or however long it takes us to regroup between rides.

Long Live ADVrider and the Detroit Greetings thread!
Attached Images

MC-Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:30 AM   #84
jpwilhelm
A.K.A Jonathan

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
What is the deal? Anyone doing these events this year? Chandler Hill, Color Tour, Toys for Kids?

The season is coming to a close....let's get out and ride!

I think I will be at all the GLDS rides for the rest of the year.
Also the Color Tour ride.

Here is a list of the rest of my riding year.

On the WR426

GLDS South Branch club ride Sept. 13-14

GLDS CHC (AMA National DS + ADV Tour) Sept. 27-28

Bent Wheels Color Tour Oct. 4-5

GLDS Toys for Kids Oct.11-12

On the KLR 650

GLDS Jackson club ride Oct. 25

Plus all the random local area adventures

Also, I am planning a trip to ether NC, WV or Tenn. for some mtn trail riding on my WR426. I am thinking around mid November or thanksgiving weekend.
If anyone wants to join in let me know. Nothing set in stone yet. Just me and my step father, he will be on his YZ400. But keep in mind the trails will be hard, steep drop offs and steep rock trails to climbs, plus slick fallen leaves.
'04 CR50F
GLDS

jpwilhelm screwed with this post 09-08-2008 at 06:38 AM
jpwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:55 AM   #85
motogearhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC-Shifter
No Philspace.

Thank you guys.

ADVrider has changed my life. I have made more new friends than I can count. And having an ADV sticker on my bike has saved my ass more than once in foreign lands.

I think I can speak for others on this thread with this comment: The last thing we're going to do is piss a bitch because we lost our data and our odometer counts. You mods have let us do our thing here in Detroit. I'm sure some of our conversations belong in other forums. But the banter and ball busting that goes on here on a daily basis helps many of us get through the day, the week or however long it takes us to regroup between rides.

Sounds right to me!...Agree 100% Randy
Old 09-08-2008, 08:35 AM   #86
Bruno T . OP
N8YQ

Oddometer: 1,817
'Bigtrailie' invited a few of us here to a ride in St Helen this past weekend, i had a great time !

Todd entertained us with his Banjo while we waited for Josh;

Todd was bummed because he forgot his pick and had just gotten a manicure. He played well despite all that though. I like Todd, he plays the Banjo well and only complains when he's really annoyed.

Oh, and . . he's a pretty damn good rider too !

After the usual 30 minute Honda kick-starting warm-up session, we got underway. Josh looked pretty tired after the 368 kicks to the Honda, so Matt figured he'd kick him while he was down - first up, the 'Big Sand Hill' ;

It looks pretty lame in that picture but it's steep and sandy. In addition to that, there's this sand pit at the bottom that tries to separate you from the motorcycle just as you're trying to get some speed up to do the hill.

If you have enough speed at the bottom, and are still on the bike after the sand pit, you will be rewarded;

The sand hill was just a teaser, there was a full day ahead of us.

We get to this trail crossing and Josh can't resist. He sees the single track going up the hill (with some interesting roots sticking out of the sand . .) and, BAM ! he's going up.

Of course Matt follows him up, and so does Todd. Never mind that i'm leading, and i don't go up. I was convinced that wasn't the trail we wanted, so i waited for them to come back.

After some trail hunting we figure out that in fact that had been the trail we wanted, so we all went up it - again !

I'm glad these guys don't do this stuff in public . .

Quick lunch break, Todd orders some giant onion appetizer thing for us to share;

And a side order of onion rings with his sandwich;

Holy cow, those look like donuts. Todd likes him some onions.

We ran one of Jeramey's fabulous and fantastic St Helen loops. There's some sweet stuff there. Thanks for all your mapping work, Jeramey !

Good times with good friends !

Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:51 AM   #87
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 23,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC-Shifter
No Philspace.

Thank you guys.

A big +1.

I challenge anyone to find another site anywhere that provides so much and asks nothing, literally, nothing in return. Baldy, as well as all the mods, do a helluva job keeping this thing going.

Thank you.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:52 AM   #88
MC-Shifter
aka Shifter

Oddometer: 219
Nice pics and copy, Bruno. Looks like you guys had a fun ride up there. Thanks for sharing.

MC-Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #89
jpwilhelm
A.K.A Jonathan

Oddometer: 266
Rugby

Anyone know anything about rugby on here? I am looking for a team to join but I have never played before. I have always wanted to play. I need something to do when I am not riding. Hard to find anything about it here in the states.
'04 CR50F
GLDS
jpwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:59 PM   #90
2TrakR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
I could be talked into taking the Weestrom though?
I did this last year and it was great!
Anyone know Jermery's handle? I want to know if I would need knobs on the wee.
You will not need knobs for the ADV routes, but we do recommend them. There is very little loose stuff (ie sand) on the ADV routes, might be a little greasy in spots depending on the weather (which will be gorgeous, we have it ordered already).