ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2014, 10:08 PM   #10006
two trackin fool
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
First I heard of the 555 . Just searched it ~ looks like a place to go
Any two track off of it in the National forest ?

two trackin fool screwed with this post 03-24-2014 at 10:16 PM
two trackin fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:09 PM   #10007
two trackin fool
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno T . View Post
How about an 8 year old riding a 450 R Honda, he wasn't afraid to give'r either.

Outstanding.

SWEET
Old 03-25-2014, 04:51 AM   #10008
jgino157
Yer' mom!!!

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by two trackin fool View Post
First I heard of the 555 . Just searched it ~ looks like a place to go
Any two track off of it in the National forest ?
Originally, 555 was our #1 destination. Ride to Zanesville and hit it south. However, after talking with a few guys in the regional forum, we actually are hitting some other roads instead. The guy who is riding with me has ridden 555 before.....said it was cool, but lots of sketchy things that keep you in check (gravel in corners, blind driveways, etc,etc).

We are hitting "The Snake" on the way down .

Less than 4 weeks
Colorado 2012
UPAT 2011 2014
jgino157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:54 AM   #10009
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgino157 View Post
Originally, 555 was our #1 destination. Ride to Zanesville and hit it south. However, after talking with a few guys in the regional forum, we actually are hitting some other roads instead. The guy who is riding with me has ridden 555 before.....said it was cool, but lots of sketchy things that keep you in check (gravel in corners, blind driveways, etc,etc).

We are hitting "The Snake" on the way down .

Less than 4 weeks
I've been to the Zanesville area and 555 et. al. a bunch of times. You pretty much can't find a bad road to ride down there. Well, there are a couple that are boring. Little to be had in terms of 2 tracks/offroad stuff though...we always had our eyes peeled for that and rarely found anything.

555 is indeed a fun road, but it does have lots of blind curves and hills (think rollercoaster up Up UP then you crest the hill and see what's on the other side). The lead rider really has to be on their toes, between a sharp curve coming up and/or horse poo in the corners (not often, but it happened) or blind driveways entering the road...you gotta be really careful. I'd strongly recommend you run GPS on a fairly close-in setting so you can see what's coming in terms of corners. That helped me a lot ("OK, looks like a tight right coming up...must be over this hill...yep, there it is" etc.)
Old 03-25-2014, 05:49 PM   #10010
proeasy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbim12 View Post
Couple better pics of the new toy

Still need to get the package to make it street legal while I still can!

A lot of companies make those now, I think they are called RRV's, Retard Recovery Vehicles

proeasy screwed with this post 03-25-2014 at 07:38 PM
proeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:54 PM   #10011
bluemilew
n00b

Oddometer: 4

Hey guys,

I'm moving to SE Michigan this summer and need some advice from a motocentric point of view. I checked the DNR website, and didnt see much in the way of public trails in the area I'll be working in the Warren area, are there "boonies" within 30min or so that would be worth checking out, or should I live close to work?

Also I've heard you guys have some MTB trails, I'm all ears to suggestions.
bluemilew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:15 AM   #10012
Dfrnt
Just pluggin' along

Oddometer: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemilew View Post
Hey guys,

I'm moving to SE Michigan this summer and need some advice from a motocentric point of view. I checked the DNR website, and didnt see much in the way of public trails in the area I'll be working in the Warren area, are there "boonies" within 30min or so that would be worth checking out, or should I live close to work?

There are some non DNR "trails" in the area. Hang out here and somebody will post up when a ride is happening once spring arrives, apparently around July. Need to be street legal though. What are you riding for moto bike? The guy that posted right before you might be the one to ask about mtn bike stuff. Welcome to the thread.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:59 AM   #10013
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
Hey guys,

Welcome to the hood! Being stuck in Warren, 30 min. drive gets you nothing. Closest single track trail is Gladwin. About 2 1/2 hr. drive. There are a few top secret 'test tracks' in the area. The local guys meet up and hammer the gravel roads on the weekends. As far as mtb trails, the closest ones I know are are in Pinckney. About 1 hr. drive from Warren. While I'm not a serious pedal biker, I do hunt and hike these trails and can say they are first class. Here's a link;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterloo-Pinckney_Trail
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:07 AM   #10014
timdog
a.k.a. Josh

Oddometer: 621
There are some nice MTB trails within 1/2 hour of Warren. Stoney Creek Metro Park and Bloomer Park both have good trail systems. There are some city parks around also that are worth checking out.
timdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:17 AM   #10015
bentmettle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
http://www.cramba.org/
http://site.mcmba.org/
http://mmba.org/

Poke around those - there is a lot of activity on the local trails. People don't stay here for the weather...
orange 350
bentmettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:00 PM   #10016
mbim12
1200 GSA

Oddometer: 100
Cyril Despres is leaving the Motorcycle worls in th 2015 Dakar. He signed on with Peugot !

03/26/14
On the fringe of the presentation of the Dakar route, Peugeot announced its return for the 2015 edition, with two outstanding recruits to start a new adventure on the event. Carlos Sainz, but also Cyril Despres, will be entrusted with putting the brand of the lion in the limelight, just like Ari Vatanen and Juha Kankkunen in the 1980's…

The news was expected for the last few months, but still harboured some areas of uncertainty. It is now official, Peugeot will be making its return to the Dakar for the 2015 edition and will be calling on the services of two of the discipline's leading competitors, who between them boast six titles on the event: Carlos Sainz and Cyril Despres. Whilst the rumours had been rife all week about the recruitment by Peugeot of the Spanish driver, winner of the event in 2010 behind the wheel of a Volkswagen Touareg, the secret concerning the switch by Cyril Despres from bike to car was carefully preserved. The five times winner on two wheels admits himself to being surprised at the speed with which this turning point in his career has arrived: “On leaving the last Dakar, the idea of not returning on a bike was far from my mind! But I was lucky enough to be contacted by Peugeot. It's an opportunity to make a grand entrance into the car category and the sort that only comes along once in a lifetime”. Aware of the magnitude of the challenge that awaits him in trying to reproduce his previous success this time on four wheels, the French competitor will start with a period of apprenticeship, during which Carlos Sainz will play the role of team captain, with the goal of winning as soon as possible. “I know that when Peugeot is involved in a discipline, they are 100% committed and in it to win it. For the moment, time is against us, but I know that the utmost will be done to allow us to be ready to do battle, if possible as early as 2015,” explains El Matador, without even having tried out the vehicle that he will be driving. To follow in the footsteps of the 205 T16 and 405 T16 which brought the brand of the lion success from 1987 to 1990, Peugeot Sport has merely unveiled the name of its new winning machine, the 2008 DKR, whose first tests are scheduled for the second half of the year. “It will be a very special car,” promises Sainz.

Carlos Sainz, winner of the Dakar 2010: “Peugeot is a brand that is not scared of commitment. In everything they do, they are always at the top level. I'm certain that this will again be the case for their involvement in the Dakar and I like major challenges. Succeeding in winning this race is an objective that demands a lot of work and, for the moment, time is against us. But we have an enthusiastic team and everybody is ready to give their utmost to achieve this goal”.

Cyril Despres, five times winner of the Dakar in the bike category (2005-07-10-12-13): “It's an opportunity that only comes along once in a lifetime. Now, I'm going to have to learn to be able to stamp my mark on the category like only a few competitors have managed in a car after having won on a bike. I've always said that I was able to make progress in the rally-raid discipline because I was surrounded by major names of the discipline like Roma, Meoni and Sainct who taught me a lot and paved the way for me. In this team, I've got the feeling that it will be the same. I'm convinced that Carlos will be able to teach me a great deal. It will be superb adventure, a logical progression for me, and that gives me the desire to do well”.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:08 PM   #10017
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,214
What a Poossee, just like Pastrana.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:13 PM   #10018
Bruno T . OP
N8YQ

Oddometer: 1,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Moto View Post
What a Poossee.

Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:07 AM   #10019
bluemilew
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfrnt View Post
There are some non DNR "trails" in the area. Hang out here and somebody will post up when a ride is happening once spring arrives, apparently around July. Need to be street legal though. What are you riding for moto bike? The guy that posted right before you might be the one to ask about mtn bike stuff. Welcome to the thread.
I ride a DRZ-s/SM depending on type of ride. It's slow but so am I.
bluemilew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:34 AM   #10020
Bruno T . OP
N8YQ

Oddometer: 1,901
Another awesome 350 in our group;

Congratulations Ricardo, great choice !

Damn, all this 350 love is calling me.
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote