User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
'73 Yamaha 175...creation?

Just trying to get into bikes a bit. Played around with a 125 Suzuki when I was 15 and thats about the extent of my bike knowledge. So, now at 30, I'm trying to get a bike together.

I know very little about the history of the bikes, whats good, whats not. I know less about upgrades or must haves. What I know is what my goal is: I want a light dual sport bike with no frills. I want to put it on the back of my Jeep and carry it 8+ hours away then use the bike to tool around to explore an area. I wanted a bike that was low and light, something for trails, no jumping or flying down 2 tracks.

I decided on an early Yamaha because it was rather light, low, and looked simple (it looked cool too). Out of the 3 bikes I bought for 350 bucks, I've decided to use the '73 bike as my "core", scavenging parts from the other 2 to create one running bike.

I'm cheap. Lets get that out of the way first. I work at a metal shop making brackets, springs, tools, etc...my main hobby is my 4x4, which I build every accessory I can (including trans adapters, axles, etc..)and buy nothing, so I'm not as afraid of tearing stuff apart as I should be.

I'm going to document my progress on this "creation" as much as I can and hope that if someone has a tip or two, they could chime in!

Here is what I'm working with: Front bike is my buildup, blue rear bike is donor and the second pic down is also a donor bike.

I have 3 engines at partial points of disassembly. This was my main focus, if I didn't have an engine, I didn't have a bike. The "good bike" (I'll say that from now on) had piss poor compression according to the previous owner. So, he picked up a new piston/rings and found a head in good shape and set it on the motor, didn't bolt anything down.

I've got 2 reed valve motors both not very nice inside the heads, and the one good head thats non reed valve. I take it there will be a performance loss by using the older style, but on the pluss side the reeds will not be an issue. So, I've already talked myself into using this one good head on the motor.

I've got the parts laid out on a table for review.....

I tore the engine apart about as far as I want to go. The gears shift fine and there was only light rust around the connecting rod where they let some water seep in there. I flushed out the engine with some ATF and drained it and it feels tight.

I'm going to try to revive the old oil injection pump, all the bikes I had were blocked off in one way or another. I've got 2 actual pumps and I tore apart one of them and cleaned it up, it appears to function just fine, but I lost one spring.......about the size of a flippin' hair. I found one, but not the other. Note: Do not disassemble the oil pump without extreme caution and good lighting! I pulled the second pump out of the donor bike to borrow the missing spring to finish the rebuild. Also, some water got into this case and the external spring was pitted, I grabbed that from the donor too. I don't want a premature failure from a spring to kill my engine!

More.....
lgottler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I pulled the clutch plates out and measured them up. I've got a bit of uneven wear, all are within specs, but some are actually thicker than the book says they should be! I'm not sure if I should just use it as is. I'm planning on tearing another clutch apart to see what those measure before I make a decision.

Oh, best damn tool ever! These bikes are all put together with phillips screws, I'm not sure why because they suck! I stole this tool from my father permanently. You strike it with a hammer and it rotates slightly at the same time. All the screws I was swearing at came out after a few taps with the hammer. I'm thinking of replacing most of the fasteners with allens, we'll see if I can scrounge some off the other bikes.

I put in a shot of my front and rear sprockets simply because I have no idea if they are worn or look OK. Chain is rusty in some spots, I was planning on just soaking it in kerosene and then oiling the snot out of it.

More.....
Old 09-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,677
Welcome to the club... something tells me that you are capable of doing more "showing and telling", rather than asking.....

It's a fun obsession.... we should all be so lucky as to have two donors for our projects!

Old 09-02-2008, 07:23 PM   #4
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I take it I need DOT approved tires and not these cracked ones on the bike....? Do they even make tires in a size for this bike? I'm missing my note stating the size, but I seem to remember 3.25x18 and 3.5x18.....
Old 09-02-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgottler

Oh, best damn tool ever! These bikes are all put together with phillips screws, I'm not sure why because they suck! I stole this tool from my father permanently. You strike it with a hammer and it rotates slightly at the same time. All the screws I was swearing at came out after a few taps with the hammer. I'm thinking of replacing most of the fasteners with allens, we'll see if I can scrounge some off the other bikes.

More.....
That, and get yourself some AeroKroil.... best nutrustbuster out there!
Old 09-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #6
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Do the rear shocks go this way?

Or this way?
Old 09-02-2008, 07:28 PM   #7
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm
That, and get yourself some AeroKroil.... best nutrustbuster out there!
That I do have! I soaked all the bikes in it when I first rolled them in!
Old 09-02-2008, 07:33 PM   #8
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm probably going to ditch the stock air box....1)Dealer said the air filter was obsolete 2) I plan on accidental water crossings and I don't like the location of the intake.

Anyone ever run something up between the speedo/tach? I'm thinking just some tubing right off the carb heading up towards the top of the gas tank. A small cone filter stuffed into a cup of sorts with an oversized lid to allow air in and rain away. I could run a "hard line", just thin wall tubing bent to shape, then squeezed flatter to tuck closer to the tank, use two rubber hoses to connect either end.....hmmmm.....its a ways off.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:10 AM   #9
Trailing Jack
Dr. Acula

Oddometer: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgottler
Do the rear shocks go this way?

Or this way?
That way
Springs on top.
Trailing Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:10 PM   #10
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,568
If you air filters are paper with a metal mesh core, the old trick is to strip off the old paper filter element, buy a new car filter (Chev V8 or the like) and take the new filter's paper element, strip it off of it's holder and glue it to the bike's old metal mesh sealing as you go with silicone....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:25 AM   #11
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

That probably would have worked. A mouse was living in box air boxes and between eating the foam filters and peeing on the metal, there wasn't much left besides two orange rubber rings.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:10 AM   #12
Putts
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,311
Holy Crapamoly! Nice first thread, mate!

Pictures; grease; busted shit; sacraficial bikes; things put on upsidedown; it's got everything!

Old 09-04-2008, 07:10 PM   #13
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks, I like pictures.....I don't have to type as much.

Just got the engine gasket set in the mail today. Also bought some new levers, I don't like plastic ones...
Old 09-05-2008, 05:28 AM   #14
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,572
Looks like you are due for a new chain and sprockets. I always wanted one of these bikes when they came out. I picked one up a few years ago and seemed like when ever I wanted to ride it i had to work on it first. Sold it for what I payed for it and moved on. If I wouldn't have been so cheap at the time and dug up a carb kit it probably would have been fine I think you can still get the "universal" tires in that size from places like Dennis Kirk.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:14 AM   #15
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,726
I remember putting a lot of work into a '73 Yamaha 125 just last year. It was a riot as a first bike but be warned... You are going to get bored REALLY fast unless you weigh 125 lbs. The 175 probably has a little more oomph to it so that actually might be pretty good around town

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote